Justice League Director's Cut announced for HBO Max.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
After years of rumors, fan protest movements and a general back and forth whether it even exists, HBO finally announced a 4 hours Directors Cut of the movie "Justice League" by original director Zack Snyder to release on their streaming service in 2021.

Justice League had a fairly troubled production history, originally conceived as follow-up to Snyder's underappreciated cape opera Batman v Superman, Snyder had to leave the directors chair after a death in the family, the movie was then finished by Joss Whedon, presumably with the order of "Avengers guy, make it more like Avengers!"

What came out of that was a nearly unwatchable butchering of what started off as a very ambitious project. Now Snyder actually gets to see his vision through to the end in what is allegedly a four hour long directors cut with added post production that has been announced to debut next year on HBO's streaming service.

I am really fucking excited for this. Batman v Superman was just about the only big budget superhero movie with any sense of introspection and social awareness, the three hour Ultimate Cut is one of my favourite movies of the past decade and one of the only big franchise movies I felt had any artistic merit. I was very sad that we'd never get to see Snyder's vision for the project so this announcement really made me happy. Shame it's exclusive to a streaming service I'm never gonna subscribe to but, you know, that has never stopped me before.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'll guess I could give it a watch. I expect little.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Couldn't care less. Didn't like Man of Steel that much, never saw BvS because it looked stupid, and never bothered with JL.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Loved Man of Steel, BvS was okay, but went overboard with the darkness, and JL was just okay. I am not getting HBO MAX period. Especially it it's a 4 hour long version of a movie I already saw. If they put it on blur-ray, color me interested.

Speaking of DC Universe:
Man of Steel - S
Batman V. Superman - C
Justice League - C
Suicide Squad Extended Cut - C+
Wonder Woman - A
Aquaman - S
Shazam - A
Birds of Prey - A

Last edited:

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Didn't care for the DC movies I've seen...

BvS was boring, nonsensical, and brooding.
MoS was boring, nonsensical, and brooding with a bit of excessive whiplash thrown in.

And- well, those are the only two I've seen.

Happy for the people who wanted this though. Hope they enjoy it.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Schrodinger's cuts are always better before you see them. Movie science is different that way.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
My first instinct was to laugh, but I'll probably give it a watch. Justice League had deeper issues than a sloppy re-cut. It had to fit in fixing the mess that BvS made from killing off the lead of the DC universe in his second outing, with an Apokoliptan invasion headed by a generic smashy villain with no screen presence and mediocre CGI for a film at that level of budget. While also rushing the introduction of 3 new potential franchises (only one of which has managed to get anywhere since then). Worst of all, it didn't even have a Martian Manhunter reference. My primary interest is to see whether this will remain enough of a mess to crush the hopes of the GRIMDARK Snyder fanboys once and for all, but my guess is that it will be BIG and DARK enough for said fanboys to sweep all the issues under the carpet. And around and around we shall continue to go.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I will definitely be watching the Snyder Cut, but this is still the guy who misunderstood Batman to the point where he literally blew people up, and the climatic fight ended because they both realised that their mum's shared the same first name.

So im not exactly optimistic.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Justice League was a fart in a bubble bath and died an ignominious death at the box office that it fully deserved. I didn’t care for the director’s cut of Batman v. Superman because it was a ponderous, pretentious load of bullshit that failed to meaningfully achieve in 3+ hours what World’s Finest did in half that. I fail to see how a director’s cut of this miserable pile of mediocrity will be any better.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Justice League was a fart in a bubble bath and died an ignominious death at the box office that it fully deserved. I didn’t care for the director’s cut of Batman v. Superman because it was a ponderous, pretentious load of bullshit that failed to meaningfully achieve in 3+ hours what World’s Finest did in half that. I fail to see how a director’s cut of this miserable pile of mediocrity will be any better.
It won't be, but that's not the point. Get some friends together and have a laugh at all the bullshit, that's what I'm hoping for.

Aiddon

Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States
Huh, so that's why I saw a winged boar flying past my window

Last edited:
Reactions: Buyetyen

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I'm gonna embrace it for what it is.

And besides I doubt this is gonna revert DC's movies back to where Zack Snyder started it from. Shazam is still gonna be how it is now in canon.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Loved Man of Steel, BvS was okay, but went overboard with the darkness, and JL was just okay. I am not getting HBO MAX period. Especially it it's a 4 hour long version of a movie I already saw. If they put it on blur-ray, color me interested.

Speaking of DC Universe:

Suicide Squad Extended Cut - C+
Wonder Woman - A
Aquaman - S
Shazam - A
Birds of Prey - A
Are you using the JRPG rating where S is really Super good? Or..some other category that I am unfamiliar with?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

Wonder if we are gonna see this scene in this Snyder Cut?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I guess I'm happy for whoever is happy about this. Power to the internet. Couldn't care less myself.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I don't get the hype for the Snyder cut, Man of Steel was absolutely terrible & Batman V Superman managed to be even worse & yes the release we have of Justice League was maybe even worse, but we're talking about a director that already had 2 strikes not to mention, did you people see Justice Leage?

Is it really possible to turn that into a good movie just with a bit of g & by adding in a couple of deleted scenes?

I highly doubt it, while it is a curiosity that it's being release I don't think people should hope for a massive improvement, the most he might be able to do is turn a terrible movie into just a bad one & that's assuming he gets the budget needed to add in the special effects for the unfinished scenes he needs to add, which again I need to remind you we're talking about movies that use especial effects for mundane things such as capes & removing moustaches, hell I'm pretty sure Cyborg is mostly CG, so every scene that has him requires a massive investment of work.

In any case I might watch it out of morbid curiosity, but being realistic, even if it is considerably better than the theatrical cut it's still going to be garbage.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
After years of rumors, fan protest movements and a general back and forth whether it even exists, HBO finally announced a 4 hours Directors Cut of the movie "Justice League" by original director Zack Snyder to release on their streaming service in 2021.

Justice League had a fairly troubled production history, originally conceived as follow-up to Snyder's underappreciated cape opera Batman v Superman, Snyder had to leave the directors chair after a death in the family, the movie was then finished by Joss Whedon, presumably with the order of "Avengers guy, make it more like Avengers!"

What came out of that was a nearly unwatchable butchering of what started off as a very ambitious project. Now Snyder actually gets to see his vision through to the end in what is allegedly a four hour long directors cut with added post production that has been announced to debut jext year on HBO's streaming service.

I am really fucking excited for this. Batman v Superman was just about the only big budget superhero movie with any sense of introspection and social awareness, the three hour Ultimate Cut is one of my favourite movies of the past decade and one of the only big franchise movies I felt had any artistic merit. I was very sad that we'd never get to see Snyder's vision for the project so this announcement really made me happy. Shame it's exclusive to a streaming service I'm never gonna subscribe to but, you know, that has never stopped me before.

I made an account with HBO Now (soon to become HBO Max I think) and it offered I think a week or month free trial, its how I was able to watch HBO Rome for the first time. So when the movie comes out just sign up for a free trial to watch it and then decide if a continued subscription is worth it.