Justified's Nick Searcy Goes Rage-Nuts On Twitter

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Ah, the social media. It's so effective at revealing human stupidity.

I don't care about this, by the way. I'll keep watching Justified like nothing important happened. Because that's the truth.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I'm a big fan of Firefly... But if Alec Baldwin think that my marriage equate incest, but well i'm sorry but i lost all respect i had for while watching that show... I will keep watching firefly, but yeah Jayne won,t have the same appeal now

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
lacktheknack said:
saltyanon said:
lacktheknack said:
The fact that some people are saying worse things doesn't excuse him for insulting people left right and center.
But why is no one talking about them? Why are they excused?

This guy is grade A hilarious. I'm guessing he's trying to bring out the hypocrisy in people. I can't believe how many people he rustled with such elementary name-calling.
Everyone jumped him because he backed up a dude comparing homosexuality to incest, which is bizarre and most would agree it's insulting.

Anyways, the others are not excused. If any of the jerks start crowing about their actions afterwards, they deserve a legendary shoot-down. But currently, the worst offender is Searcy, who is attacking people who aren't even being particularly mean, and sometimes even trying to gently coax him out of his current state. Ergo, he's the main target from all sides.
Now wait.....

Lets back up here.

Comparing incest and being gay, to a straight guy might hitting on the same team you play for be somewhat akin to hitting on your blood relative. He could have been arguing the familiarity should exclude the sex and that its wierd to him that it does not and there its factually correct. even the base statement looked at like that does not seem that far off or offensive to me.

its putting the words homosexual and incest in the same sentence and ZOMG hes a a gay basher or homophobe.

his friend got attacked for a premise that may have been more or less innocent and instead of exploring the idea or the intent behind it they attacked. he trolled them back.

and having been attacked by liberals i know how hard they can troll lets not kid ourselves. i've been labeled racists insane, stupid, liar, so on and so on and 90% based on nothing other than i dared express and opinion that was not in lock step with theirs.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Hmm, people have opinions & other people have different opinions & they argue about it. Yeah seems about normal for the internet.

All this does is reinforce my opinion the Twitter is a wart on the ass of society. I wonder if someone will tell me that my opinion is wrong.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Jadak said:
Reed Spacer said:
Yes, but was it justifiable?

Yes, I went there.

Is it just me, or is Twitter equating with insanity recently?
Anyone defending Adam Baldwin is always justified.
As much as I've enjoyed Adam Baldwin's work in the past, there is no defending what he said.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Robot Number V said:
GarouxBloodline said:
Robot Number V said:
Wait...The main thing I'm taking away from this is that the guy who played Jayne on Firefly is homophobic.

I mean...that kinda sucks.
GarouxBloodline said:
At this point, there is nothing else to do short of acting like a victim. And at least he gets brownie points for avoiding that option.
Or he could, you know, get off of Twitter.
That falls under the same category as watching everyone work themselves into a tizzy. Unless you are new to the Internet, you already know this. ;)
Well, that definitely isn't true. If he's not there, he's not watching anything. Sure, people will still be fighting on Twitter, but separating himself from it would still be miles better than actively contributing to it, especially in such a childishly aggressive manner.

OR he could, you know, make the slightest attempt at acting like a grown-ass adult. I'm sure people are being equally horrible to him, but he could just ignore those people and only respond to the civil people, in an equally civilized manner.

Right now, he's just lashing out at everyone with childish nonsense. Are you really going to try to say that this is best possible option?
Cannot really say that I appreciate you putting words into my mouth.

1. Suggesting that he leaves Twitter permanently over this is asinine, especially in his line of work. So yeah, it does fall under the same category because whether he responds, does not respond, or takes a short break from Twitter, it still all winds up to him coming back and seeing everyone with their panties in a bunch.

2. Please show me where I ever said what he is doing now is the best option. The only time I ever said anything about preferable actions is that at least he is not playing the victim game. So please, in the future, read my comments thoroughly before you respond to them, because I really do not like the redundancy of repeating myself.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh noes, a bigot got called out for defending another bigot. Let's all pretend this is somehow unfair.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Callate said:
I guess you could say I've been part of "social media" for quite a while, as I started having social exchanges with others on electronic BBSes about twenty-five years ago.

I'm wondering how much further we can go in accelerating the pace at which under-considered thoughts and opinions are delivered to those who are most likely to find them egregious.

Clearly, cellphone Internet access and 140 character limits are a start, but we can go further. Perhaps some sort of neural interface that immediately publishes half-formed screeds directly from the id. We could call it AutoTourette.
I take it that you haven't seen this? lol
http://video.vulture.com/video/Bill-Haders-As-Alec-Baldwin-on
I do believe that this is the logical evolution of rambling-shit-posted-online-instantly technology.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sarge034 said:
I get why people are mad at what he said, but what I don't understand is why people think the management over at Justified should do anything about it. He was on his own time, his own twitter account, and didn't name drop the show...
He did name drop the show, actually, as proof of how he is a "somebody" and the people replying to him were "nobodies."

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Robot Number V said:
Wait...The main thing I'm taking away from this is that the guy who played Jayne on Firefly is homophobic.
I've got to second this. I have no idea who this Sercy dude is so to me he's just 'angry twat #73280' who has resorted to fat insults early on in the game. But Jayne hates gays? :(

Why did Wash have to die rather than Jayne? Answer me Whedon!

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Murais said:
The amount of people defending this guy for being an asshole is absolutely shocking.

"He stood up for his friend. That is admirable." When my friends say dumb, inflammatory, insulting shit, I let them take the heat because they asked for it. You don't get to compare a homosexual relationship to incest and expect nobody is going to say anything about belittling the struggle nationwide we are having about people just trying to get their self-identities and relationships justified.

"He is a masterful troll. His skill is art." This one gets me. Since when the fuck is trolling meant to be admirable? You do it for your immediate, immature hyucks (which we've all done to some point or another), but in the end you're still a douchebag. It is not something that elevates you to reverent levels of wittiness, and it does not make you an all-knowing meta-humorist like some here think it does. Strategy does not excuse bad behavior.

Can we look at this for a second? The guy just seems opinionated as fuck with some antiquated ideals, and he's backing it up with schoolyard insults and stubbornness. It's not creative. It's not clever. And it's not something that should be condoned, much less praised. Did I miss the meeting where we started thinking that shitty people being shitty was supposed to be endearing? I'm fucking speechless.
I was just about to post when I saw this perfect echo of my thoughts, so, seconded in solidarity. Jeez, people, you've been on the internet too damn long.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Completely agree with the quoted post above.

Also, look at all the people who think "Trolling" is just short-hand for bullying on the Internet.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
FalloutJack said:
Oh, for god's sake, Escapist. It's obviously a troll. Do actors REALLY go around calling people fat, stupid, and ugly all the time if they want ever to retain anyone's commission? My guess would be an angry Ex-Escapist giving you the run-around.
The Blue Tick on Twitter means that the account has been verified as the official account of that celebrity. This is actually him.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Call the PC police! People are insulting each other on the interwebs! The lesson I get from this exchange is simple - never EVER drink and text. This is far from the worst thing to come out of twitter and I'm sure it won't be the last. TBH I find Adam Baldwin's stance far more insulting than anything Nick Searcy said and since the last thing I saw Adam in outside of Serenity was Predator 2, well, lets just say I wouldn't worry much about his career prospects. Calling people fat is something only a 5 yr old or perhaps a supermodel might be phased by. It doesn't affect me at all and I see no need to threaten a career over it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
josemlopes said:
What I dont get is why game jornos (and probably other jornos) had to go there all passive agressive on his crap, arent they supposed to simply report what happened instead of throwing stones?

I dont see tv reporters going up to someone famous that recently did something wrong and say passive agressive things to him while filming to get a reaction.
Well, given that I started it, I can answer that. I wasn't speaking as a game journalist, but as a fan of the show. I found his behavior on twitter to be very distasteful, and it impacted my opinion of him, and genuinely made me question whether or not I'd be able to keep watching the show. I won't be able to see his character without being reminded of him hurling nonstop insults at some random stranger on the internet. (Whatever the provocation, his behavior was really vile.) He immediately laid into me, calling me fat and stupid, accusing me of calling him a racist and a bigot (I did neither) and people in my twitter feed - which is largely game journalists, as you might expect - picked up on it. Many of them are *also* fans of Justified, and were just as disappointed as I was. And then people in their feeds picked it up, and so on. Searcy laid into all of them, as well.

So that's why a bunch of game journalists ended up arguing with an actor all day yesterday. The intention was never for this to be a story, but it kind of became one.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
Robot Number V said:
I've got to second this. I have no idea who this Sercy dude is so to me he's just 'angry twat #73280' who has resorted to fat insults early on in the game. But Jayne hates gays? :(

Why did Wash have to die rather than Jayne? Answer me Whedon!
Please do not remind me of that. ;_;

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
There were mistakes made on both sides...but it isn't really worth calling to attention. There are more important issues than the behaviors of actors and videogame journalists.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
"You're only offended by fat-shaming because you're fat!"

Yeah, just like you can only be offended by racism if you're black. Jesus Christ, that guys logic...

And apart from that, I will not talk about this. Otherwise I'll just rant about the way people twist free speech arguments AND I WILL NEVER STOP RANTING.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Mersadeon said:
"You're only offended by fat-shaming because you're fat!"

Yeah, just like you can only be offended by racism if you're black. Jesus Christ, that guys logic...

And apart from that, I will not talk about this. Otherwise I'll just rant about the way people twist free speech arguments AND I WILL NEVER STOP RANTING.
Funny you mention racism... Here is the dialog that I think was at the core of the whole thing: http://www.peacock-panache.com/2014/02/adam-baldwin-and-nick-searcys-anti-gay.html

Note how Searcy calls Peacock a racist completely out of the blue, too.