Kaiju Crush: The Monsters You've Never Heard Of

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Kaiju Crush: The Monsters You've Never Heard Of

Have you heard of these giant monster movies? Probably not. Are they Awesome? Yes. Yes they are.

Read Full Article

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
MovieBob said:
ed filmmaker Shim Hyung-Rae, who parlayed his experience on that film into the more widely seen (but no less notorious) Dragon Wars.
Oh God. Why did you remind me of Dragon Wars. WHY!

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
Dogora could have a reboot nowadays, though instead of wanting carbon like diamonds and such, it could subsist off the rampant carbon emissions in the air. Perhaps the overabundance of it could cause a sort of algae bloom of smaller Dogora instead of one massive one.

Or they could be cheap and go the same way the USA Godzilla movie went with their whole breeding angle. But I think that'd be silly.

danimal1384

Sep 18, 2007
Bob, it's fantastic to see some one with your kind of exposure who knows all of these! I've seen all of these movies, and own most of them in some form or another. I've been a HUGE Kaiju fan for most of my life since I saw Godzilla 1985 when I was 6. I had a rare opportunity last night to see the midnight showing of Pacific Rim at the 20th annual Godzilla Fest here in Chicago. It was one of the best movie going experiences I've ever had, matching the Marvel Marathon I went to leading up to Avengers last year. It would be an honor to be able to someday sit down and trade thoughts on Kaiju movies with you. Take care, and keep spreading the word!

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Agree with Daimajin, which I watched recently. The first movie is structured so that you almost forget it's a giant monster movie, seeming like a period drama instead. And then all hell breaks lose.

Oh, and the Blu-Ray quality is awesome for such an old movie.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, I remember Gappa...messed up the time for the VCR so I only saw the first 5 minutes of it, or got 5 minutes after the movie I was recording or something.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
RatherDull said:
I don't suppose we can get a column on awesome giant robots we might not have heard of before, can we?
It would probably be a very short list. On the other hand, given every Westerner I've ever seen solely quotes Megas, Evangellion, Gurren Lagaan, Gundam and maybe sometimes Big O - one may be needed X3

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
No love for Pulgasari?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6OqNGbw8Ek

The North Koreans famously kidnapped a South Korean director to make it and had the monster scenes shot in Japan.

Super Inframan is very special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zute03nWWI

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
RatherDull said:
Sir Shockwave said:
RatherDull said:
I don't suppose we can get a column on awesome giant robots we might not have heard of before, can we?
It would probably be a very short list. On the other hand, given every Westerner I've ever seen solely quotes Megas, Evangellion, Gurren Lagaan, Gundam and maybe sometimes Big O - one may be needed X3
They quote Gurren Lagann but not Getter Robo? They have no idea what they're missing!
From what I typically see, they almost never quote Getter Robo, Tetsujin 28, Mazinger Z...those I would count as obscure.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
I feel oddly proud of myself for having already seen/known about all of these apart from Mozlah. (Incidentally, Zarkorr! The Invader and Kraa! The Sea Monster would have been good for this list - and the latter in particular might make for a good Schlocktober '13 video. Just throwin' that out there.)

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
RatherDull said:
Tim Chuma said:
No love for Pulgasari?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6OqNGbw8Ek

The North Koreans famously kidnapped a South Korean director to make it and had the monster scenes shot in Japan.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5273-Monsters-Movie
Forgot that one, whoops