Kalypso Unveils Tropico 5

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Kalypso Unveils Tropico 5

The latest installment in the tropical island city-sim is coming later this year.

Forget about that website [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6978-SimShitty] offers a wealth of information on the new title.

From the website:

Features of Tropico 5
The Eras - From the 19th century to the 21st, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities. Begin your reign during colonial times and advance your nation through the modern era and into the future!
The Dynasty - Each member of El Presidente's extended family is present on the island and may be appointed to key leadership positions, earning skills and experience in their assigned roles.
Research and Renovate - Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources. Transform your old buildings into modernized, hyper-efficient designs worthy of an economic superpower!
Advanced trade system and trade fleet - Amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure import/export trade routes to neighbouring islands and key nations.
Explore your island - Discover what lies beyond the fog of war. Send prospectors to look for new mineral and ore deposits, but be wary of hostile animals and native tribes.
All new art - All artwork is reworked to provide Tropico 5 with a distinct historic visual identity. Choose from over 100 unique buildings from each of the individual eras.
Cooperative and competitive multiplayer - Up to four players can build up their own cities and economies on any given island map. Players can share resources and citizens, or declare war on each other.

Probably the biggest new addition is the multiplayer, as previous installments have been strictly singleplayer. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, in particular the "war" aspect. Could we be looking at a Civilizations-style turn-based affair, or perhaps something more real-time?

Source: Tropico 5 [http://tropico5.com/us/info.php]

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Well, that teaser was a bit different.

Should be interesting to see how the multiplayer works. Though, this just reminds me that I need to get around to playing the first 4 that I have sitting in my steam library.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Sweet! :D With SimCity becoming what it is, it's up to Tropico and Anno to keep citybuilding alive. Granted, I'm not sure where Anno can go from 2070...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I really should have gotten into this series years ago, well now there is something on my 'to watch for in 2014' list!

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Jandau said:
Sweet! :D With SimCity becoming what it is, it's up to Tropico and Anno to keep citybuilding alive. Granted, I'm not sure where Anno can go from 2070...
Anno 3060, of course! Space exploration and colony-building. :)

It looks like Kalypso are managing to add new elements to the formula this time, which is nice. Tropico 4 wasn't that different from 3; this looks significantly improved.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
omicron1 said:
Jandau said:
Anno 3060, of course! Space exploration and colony-building. :)

It looks like Kalypso are managing to add new elements to the formula this time, which is nice. Tropico 4 wasn't that different from 3; this looks significantly improved.
Dammit Ninja'd!

Great to see Tropico 5 adding quite a few new things, especially the multiplayer. Rather funny when you think about it that SC5 showed us city builder multiplayer done badly and now heres Tropico 5 hopefully showing it done right.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
El Grande Dictator hum?

I really cannot wait for this.

(Please tell me I'm not the only one to get what this trailer is refferencing though...)

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Vie said:
El Grande Dictator hum?

(Please tell me I'm not the only one to get what this trailer is refferencing though...)
If you are, its a sad day for culture.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Oh yes! Multiplayer! yay!

...an xp system? Hmmm... rpg-elements in my city builder, not sure about that - but still - I am so pumped.

Loved Tropico 4, so I will be definitely be keeping an eye on this

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
I hope this one earns back my trust. Tropico 4 was a little bit of a disappointment, with only a few changes from 3. I am truly hyped for the extended time frame and the "dinasty" thing, though.
Also, great teaser. Even though it was a simple reference, I couldn't help but giggle a little bit.

And last, but not least. PLEASE, retcon Juanito back into the game. Betty boom and all the characters from 4 kinda sucked.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
flarty said:
Vie said:
El Grande Dictator hum?

If you are, its a sad day for culture.
For those that don't know the reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJOuoyoMhj8

You should watch the whole thing; it's fantastic.

"Sir, the peasants are complaining about the sawdust in the bread!"
"Nonsense! That sawdust comes from the finest trees in Bavaria!" (paraphrased)

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
As much as i love the tropico series, seeing this news after having just found a new series of tropico 4 dlc on steam initially made me wary.

There wasn't that much of a difference between tropico 3 and tropico 4 until the modern times expansion, so feared would be a similar case, then i read the list of additions and am rather :) now.

Eras: I guess it'll work similar to how modern times did it, and it worked pretty well in that.
Dynasty: Sounds great and fitting if you're going to be ruling for more then 1 lifetime.
Research/renovate: Will see what they mean by research, perhaps this will give science buildings more use beyond lowering the cost for new building blueprints?
Trade/fleet: This sounds like a fun addition for players who want to influence the foreign markets and feel like they are making an impact on world economy.
Exploring island: A more dangerous island to tame? As much as i can see it being annoying having your people killed by animals early on in the game...This will make taming the island a more satisfying experience.
All new art: If i understand right this is a fancy way of saying they won't reuse old models and stuff? I didn't mind it too much but it did contribute to trop 4 at launch being little different then trop 3.
Coop: COOP? Fucking sold!

Consider me rather excited if new tropico can hold up its promises.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Tropico ---> Tropico 2 was really a step sideways.

Tropico 2 ---> Tropico 3 was another step sideways.

Tropico 3 ---> Tropico 4 was a tiny shuffling forward.

Tropico 4 ---> Tropico 5 actually looks like several strides forward!

I'm excited for this. Very much so.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Admit thought it was too soon for a sequel until I read the feature list, now I am waiting mode.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Jandau said:
Back to the future 3 of course :D

I am actually quite impressed here. They seem to be throwing in allot more elements to enhance the current gameplay. Different island factions. Ability to establish trade networks with older islands. El Presidente's esteemed family. Prospecting for new resources rather then them already being visible. I hope this could possibly lead into a sort of semi-permanence for buildings where you can prospect several times to unlock deeper sources of raw materials and you don't have to start importing the second you run out.

Not to mention some PRETTY HUGE islands seeing as there can be 4 people on the same island. That means massive islands or a really cramped race. Either way MP is a good addition.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
Awesome, simply awesome.

If you ignore that awkward habit I get while playing this game. I don't know how I conditioned myself for it but damn, number 4? Hells yeah.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
1337mokro said:
Jandau said:
Back to the future 3 of course :D

I am actually quite impressed here. They seem to be throwing in allot more elements to enhance the current gameplay. Different island factions. Ability to establish trade networks with older islands. El Presidente's esteemed family. Prospecting for new resources rather then them already being visible. I hope this could possibly lead into a sort of semi-permanence for buildings where you can prospect several times to unlock deeper sources of raw materials and you don't have to start importing the second you run out.

Not to mention some PRETTY HUGE islands seeing as there can be 4 people on the same island. That means massive islands or a really cramped race. Either way MP is a good addition.
Wouldn't they more likely have each player on a different island, then u trade, exchange funds etc between them?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
RicoADF said:
Wouldn't they more likely have each player on a different island, then u trade, exchange funds etc between them?
That as well, but it would be a huge missed opportunity if you can't fuck with your palls on the same island. Fighting over that single ore deposit and such.

I'd also rather like having huge islands as an option. My cities tend to get quite massive so I needs the space.