Katawa Shoujo - Hanako's Story (COMPLETED 18/08/2014)

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Krovius said:
A very nice addition as usual I'm cheering for you Trivun Keep up the good work!
Thanks very much :D

Yuuka Kazami said:
Yay another chapter :D I really think they should do an expansion of KS from the girls point of view and take your Hanako Story. Its really awesome how you portrait her and her thoughts. I really can't imagine her being any different than this. Keep it up. And as i said i'm really looking forward to some stuff in Chapter 4 from her point of view :D But for now yay Billiard in town next chapter~ I think this might be one of the less morbid chapters from Hanakos point of view again
I wish they would do an expansion like that, but we all know there's no way anything new is going to come along KS-wise from 4 Leaf (aside from the fan translations and the art books, of course :p). Truth be told, I wish I'd gotten into the project when it was still in development and had tried to join 4LS back then, but when I discovered KS it was much too late and I wasn't as interested then anyway as I later became :(. A missed opportunity, methinks...

NoOne852 said:
It had quite a nice flow to it. Not sure how else to describe it... Good work!
We still seem to have different takes on her thought processes in a couple situations, which threw me off a bit still, however, you continue to do a good job writing out her character further. :)
And sorry I didn't give any feedback last time, I apparently missed it somehow... >_<
No worries about the feedback, just happy to see you're still enjoying the story :D. And I think everyone is going to have conflicting views, you should see some of the debates that have raged in the thread on the official 4LS forums site where I've been posting this. Those guys can get pretty fierce defending their own point of view! Usually against each other rather than me, though there have been instances where I've had to defend my own portrayal of Hanako in certain scenes... xD

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
This is one of the shortest, if not the shortest, chapters I've written so far, so apologies for the delay. However, it leads in to something that we've all been waiting for, and yet you'll have to wait that bit longer to see just where we're going for now... ;)

We gather the next day for Lilly and Akira's departure. ?Right then,? asks Hisao. ?Are you taking the bus, Lilly?? We're standing in the corridor outside mine and Lilly's rooms, ready to see her off.

?I'll have to take this with me, so I've booked a taxi,? she replies, gesturing pointedly at a large suitcase to one side, containing all her luggage for the trip. ?It'll meet us at the school gates in about five minutes.?

?Ah, I see.? As Lilly feels for the handle and kneels down to pick up her case, Hisao moves forward to help. It's clear that the case is rather on the heavy side, I know I'd certainly have some trouble carrying it. ?That is awfully kind of you, Hisao,? comes the response from Lilly. He's acting every bit the consummate gentleman, and I can't help but consider he's falling back into the pattern I was hoping he wouldn't stick to. Maybe that's just who he is, though. It's not an unpleasant way for someone to be, I suppose, as long as I have my space and can get through things myself. Lilly is more than worthy of Hisao's help, but I can't claim the same for myself...

Before I get lost in my thoughts I hear Lilly's voice again. ?Well, thank you then,? she says to Hisao. ?We should hurry though, if the taxi leaves then it will take quite a while to book a new one. Are you ready, Hanako??

Her final comment is directed straight to me, and I reply in the affirmative. ?Y-yeah. Let's go.?

We hurry to the gates, hoping that the taxi hasn't yet arrived. As we approach, though, it seems Lilly's fears are unfounded. It's not yet here. Hisao takes a more light-hearted view of the situation, though. ?Well, nothing like a bit of exercise in the morning. The nurse told me that I should be doing that.?

I'm not sure whether to admonish him for taking such a loose approach to his health, especially whilst at Yamaku, or whether to agree that a bit of exercise is a good thing in the morning. I suppose the two aren't entirely incongruent. Lilly, however, is more firm in her opinion.

?I think he probably had other things in mind, Hisao. And probably with more regularity. Do you intend to be helping people with their luggage every day??

She has a point. ?I guess not,? Hisao replies. ?Looks like we've got a bit to wait anyway. How long should we wait for the taxi before calling them again??

I'm not entirely sure why Akira couldn't have come here and picked Lilly up, regardless of my thoughts on her driving last night. Then again, it would be going out of her way quite a bit to make a detour to Yamaku, since she's much closer to the airport than we are. Plus, she might be nursing a hangover, or just be having a lie-in with the extra time afforded to her by way of travel distance. As I think about this, Lilly answers the question posed by Hisao.

?I would say another ten minutes, but they've never let me down before. There's probably just a little traffic.?

?Okay then.? We wait in silence for a few seconds before Hisao speaks again. ?So how long is the flight to Scotland?? I realise it's a long journey, and will take a lot of time, but I'm not quite prepared for Lilly's answer. It seems amazingly far, and drives home just how great the distance will be between us. One less crutch to support me in my hardest moments. Both a blessing, and a curse.

?About sixteen hours, if I remember correctly.? As I say, a very long time. ?It's a bit hard to tell with the changing time zones.?

?So long...? I hear myself say quietly. I'd forgotten about the time zones too, it'll make phoning each other a bit more awkward when it's night here and morning there. I keep running through my head just how I'll manage to cope without Lilly here for me. I hate myself for it, but I depend on her, and although I don't feel I deserve the support she gives me I can't deny I'm grateful for it. That is, I'm grateful when I want it. I suppose it's a good thing that she's leaving just at the time when I want to shut the world out, when I want to be alone, but I can't avoid feeling tense and wanting to find some way to cope and wondering how Hisao will deal with everything and how I can keep him away and...

?Yeah, I can't imagine being on a plane for that long.? Hisao brings me out of my reverie, though it does little to calm me down. I try and force my mind to think of other things, like how interesting it would be to fly somewhere. I've never been on a plane before, not that I remember at any rate. I understand the concept, but it doesn't make the idea of flying in a big metal box any less strange and surreal to me. Thinking about it, and listening to Lilly, helps me stay a little calmer, but it's still a concerted effort to maintain it.

?It's not too bad,? she says. ?I'll spend most of it either asleep or catching up on my English. I hardly use that here so I need to refamiliarise myself with it a little.?

I try to hide my anxiety by getting a bit more involved in the discussion. ?W-will your accent... be a problem??

?I wouldn't worry about that too much. It may be an issue initially, but I should be fine once I get used to it.?

With that, the conversation ends for now, and we all sit down to wait. With nothing to distract me I find my thoughts constantly returning to the coming days alone, and what I'll have to face yet again. Every year, haunted by old memories and the ghosts of the past. Even Lilly's determination each year to give me better memories and experiences are subdued by the strength of my hurt. Every time I find something else to concentrate on I can't avoid returning to the darker part of my mind. Maybe it's a bit masochistic of me, though I don't see how. I don't want these thoughts. Yet maybe I'm meant to suffer, maybe I'm not meant to be happy. I keep pushing the thoughts aside and still they keep coming back. My fingernails are wearing down to stubs, not exactly pretty like Lilly, and I glance across at Hisao several times, only to hurriedly look away when I notice him watching me in return.

He opens his mouth as if to speak, when suddenly a very faint roaring sound appears on the edge of our hearing. It quickly rises in volume, until we see a lone car cresting the hill. ?Ah, I think the taxi is on its way...?

?Well spotted, Hisao, I only just heard it as well.? I think Lilly probably heard it a bit further back, actually, given her aptitude for her other senses in lieu of her sight. Then again, maybe she was as distracted as I was, by other matters entirely. Sometimes to keep my mind away from my own troubles, I try to imagine what Lilly thinks, what her emotions and feelings are. Why she decides to bother herself with someone like me.

Or, maybe, Hisao has just become that bit more aware of his surroundings. Maybe he's starting to sense things the way Lilly does, as if a little bit of her is rubbing off on him.

When the taxi stops and confirms Lilly's identity, we help her load her luggage into the trunk, as she sits gently on the back seat. She opens the window and we say our farewells. ?Have a safe trip, Lilly,? I say.

?Take care of yourself,? says Hisao.

I try to avoid showing my emotions, but while I can easily (more so now than previously) hide the stammer, I can't prevent the sadness creeping in. Some things are just too hard.

?Of course I will,? Lilly replies to our goodbyes and well wishes. ?I'll be back before long, don't worry. There will still be another person here for you too, won't there, Hisao?? I know she names Hisao but her words are directed at me. It's like a reminder that no matter what happens, I won't be alone.

She still doesn't understand...

?Yeah, of course,? comes Hisao's response. He turns to me and smiles, putting a hand on my shoulder. I look at his eyes, briefly, before turning my face away, hot and red as the blood rushes to my cheeks. I shiver just a little, though I don't think he can feel it. It's not an unpleasant feeling, nor a shiver of revulsion, more one of joy, though every fibre of my body is fighting the impulse to run and hide myself away, my sole defence mechanism. I'm torn between my heart, beating oh so fast, and my head, my tragically damaged mind constantly telling me I'm unworthy of feelings like these. I force myself to calm down, and return my gaze to Lilly, waiting in the taxi.

?See you, Lilly.?
?Goodbye!?

Lilly responds to our words in kind, though not without a clear degree of sadness, and waves as the taxi finally pulls away down the hill. Hisao and I stand together, not speaking, just considering what to do. The next few weeks will be strange without Lilly's presence. I guess we'll just have to make the best of it.

As I ponder the rest of the day, Hisao asks me, ?So, what do you want to do??

?I... don't know.? I have no idea what to say. I had no real plans, but maybe he can think of something...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
This is the shortest chapter yet, but I hope I've given it just the right emotion. The next chapter will be forthcoming, hopefully within the next couple of days.

?So, what do you want to do??

Hisao's question catches me off guard. I answer as honestly as I can - ?I... don't know.? I pause, waiting his response, hoping against hope that maybe he'll...

?I don't know about you, but I think I'm going to try and take a nap. My head is killing me.?

Oh.

I don't know what he thinks I'm feeling, but I can't speak. I honestly thought he might... No. I was stupid. I can't have ever really hoped that he would see me the way I see him...

I turn on my heel and walk away, as calmly as I can. Hisao comes with me and I try to keep my eyes as dry as possible. I won't let him see my tears. We stop outside the dormitories. ?Well then, g-goodbye.? I stop short, cutting off any more words that might escape from my parted lips.

?Do you want to have some tea or something, later? How about a game??

How dare he? After what just happened, how dare he try and fix this so soon, and so abruptly? It's all I can do to keep my disappointment, my anger, my guilt, my embarrasment from shining through. I just want to part from him with no further ado and move forward. ?I... I'm tired. Maybe tomorrow? I've got homework...?

Take the bait, please take it. Don't drag this out any longer. My heart is already breaking, don't force the wound to open wider. Please.

?Ah, homework. Thanks for reminding me; I've got a stack to do as well. I guess I'll see you tomorrow.?

Maybe. ?See you, Hisao.? I don't give him a chance to reply, to hurt me any more than he already has. Maybe it would have been better if he'd never come to the library that day, if we'd never met. I turn again and continue walking, refusing to look back. Maybe tomorrow will be better. It definitely doesn't look like it, though.

(Author's note - I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry...)

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
Trivun said:
Aawwwwwwwwwwww- the feels! Wow, that was... More if a punch then I thought. Sure I've layed the game and already knew what section of it you were speaking of. But I literally expected Hisao to say "Want to head out and have tea with me?" But instead he said the opposite and THIS IS WHY Hanako's feelings are hurt. Now I can see why the arc ends up heading towards the bad. Also proves my point that Hisao is oblivious and pretty... dumb for not doing what is right.

Thanks for writing this chapter. I really need to continue doing my LP anyhow seeing things like this from Katawa Shoujo is what made me start the LP in the first place.
Thank you for the kind words :). I knew it would be heart wrenching, but I didn't want to just pander to some of the readers by only doing the good ending. As a writer I'd rather cover all ranges of emotions, and to be honest I find it a bit difficult to write such tragedy, so this is good practice for me. I'm a bit amazed at how many people have said that they've been given feels from my writing though, even if the work is adapted from something that genuinely does have good writing. Then again, I've always been my worst critic :p.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I know it's heartbreaking. But it has to be done.

I can't be there. I just can't.

We're one day away now, I'm one day away from it and I just can't be around anybody, but he's the last person I want to see. I never said anything to him about how I feel and I don't know now if that was a good thing or a bad one. Damn it all, I can't even bring myself to say his name. I put everything of myself on him, allowed myself to finally believe that for once, just once in my life I could rely on someone and finally let myself feel as if I deserved help. And whether or not he meant to, he threw it back in my face. I opened myself up to him and got absolutely nothing in return. Nothing. Just as he made me feel.

Just as I should feel.

Could I have ever really thought that I was worthy of the help and support that was being offered to me by those I thought of as friends? I like Yuuko, I like Akira, but I was never close to them, not really. Lilly may as well have abandoned me to fly across the world. I understand why she did it, and I forgive her, but I can never avoid that feeling of betrayal. Still, she isn't the one who hurt me. He came along and made me feel as if I could be worth something, as if I could finally stop rebutting every attempt made to help me. Then when we were finally alone he broke me into nothing but fragments, and made everything worse.

I'm supposed to see Miss Yumi today but I can't bring myself to go. I haven't felt so low since I... I don't want to go into it. I was a danger to myself then, in the most literal sense of the term, and I don't want to fall back into that pattern, something that I know will happen if I leave this room, this bed. I have to be strong, but it's so hard...

The pillow is stained and soaking wet. I alternate between waking and sleep. I can't be comfortable but I don't feel as if I deserve to be. I have to push him out of my mind, to undergo my usual ritual and wallow in my own grief and self-loathing until all this passes and I can finally return to my semblance of normality. Even then, I know that I can't avoid the thoughts forcing their way into my head, of a life where he would be a part of it, such an important part that one day we... we....

I can't even cry now. I have water to sustain me, a lesson hard learned over years of mourning and misery, but even as I drink my body is purged and I cry again until whatever was taken in is completely gone. My mind races through so many possibilities of how and who and why. How I could have allowed myself to be taken in so deeply and so thoroughly, to fall for such a boy, such a man, and how I let myself lower all the defences I had spent so many years building even against the likes of Lilly. Who he could be, to let me trust him and then destroy that trust so cruelly. Why he would do this, and why I didn't see through him after everything else I've faced in my life so far.

I was blind. I realise the utter irony, but that's what I was. I was so in awe of the new and strange feelings that I didn't consider all sides to the story, and now it's too late.

Does he even care? I can't imagine he does. My life means nothing to someone like him.

As it should be. Why should I deserve to be treated like a person? Why should anybody see me as more than I am, as someone to respect, or talk to, or laugh with? Or love?

I don't know how long I lie there, fighting the impulse to drift away into the land of nightmares, so much worse than they have ever been before. Last night I saw him merged into the usual dreams, waiting as I watched my family burn. Never speaking, not even looking at me, just watching the destruction and the carnage as my life fell apart for the first, but nowhere near last, time.

My thoughts are everywhere and I can't even maintain my own consistency. Did he know how much I would break, like one of the fragile dolls on my shelf, when he said those words to me yesterday? It would have been nothing, no effort at all, to at least spend some time with me! Instead he callously left me to my own devices, expecting me to be at his beck and call yet showing no sign of interest in my own wants or desires, however few they may be. When Lilly bought me that doll for the day I dread, she couldn't have known just how much my life would come to resemble the gift.

Fragile.

They say that in many fragile things there is a level of strength, but whatever strength I had has been sucked away by him. I can't eat, I can't sleep, though I can't stay awake, and whatever I do I find myself reminded of him.

It's not even that I wanted the support that he was originally offering. I don't want that, I don't need it. Help, people doing everything for me and smothering me like some kind of needy child, that's never been what I wanted! But surely everyone needs some kind of company, someone to share their darkest secrets with, someone who can be a crutch when needed yet never expects that their help is vital. Lilly was never that for me. She tried, oh yes, but she couldn't be there all the time when I needed her, and she was there too much when I didn't, when I was trying to show my inner strength.

I still have that. I know it, I just buried it so far down that I don't know if I could recover it again. Maybe in my darkest moments, because this isn't my darkest moment, not by a long shot. It's been a long time since I felt this low, but I know that I can go even lower. As for the trigger, well, I won't know that until it hits me.

I realise I wasn't lying to him when I mentioned my homework yesterday. I don't have any drive now to finish it. It will have to wait, indefinitely. The day passes. Nothing happens save my ongoing hatred of the world, and one small part of it in particular.

Can I really blame him, though? I'm tough to deal with, I know that. Some people come with baggage, but who else has dealt with the kind of thing I have had to live with most of my life? If he was scared off by that, if he considered all the possibilities and decided it wasn't worth the trauma or the stress... but then he could have been honest! I'd have understood. Did he ever even consider how I might have felt about him? Or are his thoughts elsewhere, perhaps halfway across the world, with someone else...?

I'm startled from my reverie by a gentle knocking on the door. No, please, don't let it be...

Knock. Knock. Knock. Knock.

?Hanako, it's just me. Mutou said to give you some stuff.? No. I didn't want this, I didn't want this! However, if he's been sent here by Mutou-sensei then I have little choice. I wait as long as I can before emerging from the damp cocoon and checking that my nightgown covers everything. I slowly walk towards the door and unlock it, opening it just a fraction so I can see his face through the gap. I don't look at his eyes, in fact I deliberately avoid his gaze. I don't want to know what he might be thinking now.

?Hi, Hanako. Mutou wanted me to give you these since you weren't in class today.? My shoulders slumped, I take the papers from his outstretched hand, barely glancing at them before my own hand moves away. I already know that this work won't be done for a while, I have no mood nor desire to study right now. He moves his head to look at me better but I look away, not wanting him to see me like this.

How pathetic of me, to still care what he thinks of me, of my appearance, after everything I've been through...

?Are you... okay? If you're feeling sick or anything, I could go get a nurse.? This is the first time I look at him, the first time I can bring myself to say how I feel.

?I'm fine.? The lie is so obvious but he doesn't question it. I honestly don't know if I even want him to, or if I'd rather he leave. At least he isn't trying to get into the room, to comfort me like some kind of hypocrite.

?I see.? He accepts my words without question. Then... ?Would you like me to stay? I don't have anything urgent to do at the moment, so it wouldn't be any trouble.?

I look away again, determined not to let him see my eyes any more. ?Hanako...?? I shake my head, the only response I dare give. I dread to imagine what words will burst from my lips if I open them, I can already feel them wobbling. ?Okay. Um... good night, then.? I close the door before he can continue speaking, and retreat to my bed. I remove the nightgown and try to sleep, dreading the dreams to come.

I wonder if he can dream well...?

Krovius

May 20, 2013
My heart hurts as much as it did when I played the game through the first time, I feel like such a terrible person, and I'm not even the one making the moves. You have officially brought me 100% into this story....time to go cry.

"I wonder if he can dream well...?"

Yuuka Kazami

Feb 20, 2013
Can't say that i don't like drama but whyyy did you chose that option and not going into town with her :eek: Hanako is hurt enough already hmpf ._. Oh well but actually its quite good that way. Just making it some happyhappyjoyjoy ride would've been boring so good choice. As long as it doesn't end with her shouting at you like in the bad ending. Thooough i was wondering...could you still get the good ending by choosing not to go into town with her or was the phone call with Lily the crucial choice? :eek: To long ago that i played it haha. Anyways keep up the good work :D

Kal-Adam

May 7, 2010
I have been reading this on Fanfic for ages now, I even have it email me when a new chapter comes out! It's great to see that it's the work of a fellow escapist! :)

Krovius

May 20, 2013
Yuuka Kazami said:
Can't say that i don't like drama but whyyy did you chose that option and not going into town with her :eek: Hanako is hurt enough already hmpf ._. Oh well but actually its quite good that way. Just making it some happyhappyjoyjoy ride would've been boring so good choice. As long as it doesn't end with her shouting at you like in the bad ending. Thooough i was wondering...could you still get the good ending by choosing not to go into town with her or was the phone call with Lily the crucial choice? :eek: To long ago that i played it haha. Anyways keep up the good work :D
You can't get a good ending if you don't choose to go to town with her. you can however get a medium ending by choosing the correct choice on the last choice but you also have to do the rest of it perfectly.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Krovius said:
My heart hurts as much as it did when I played the game through the first time, I feel like such a terrible person, and I'm not even the one making the moves. You have officially brought me 100% into this story....time to go cry.

"I wonder if he can dream well...?"
It always astonishes me to find that I'm managing to make people have as many feels through this as they did through the original game, but that being said I am my own harshest critic. Sorry to make you cry!

Yuuka Kazami said:
I'm doing all the endings and I'd rather get the worst out of the way so I can focus on the good later. Better to end on a happy note than have the good stuff come early then crush all of that later, right? As for the choices, it's already been explained I believe, but if you don't go into town then your later choice doesn't matter, you get the bad end regardless. If you do go into town then your later choice determines whether you get the neutral or the good ending...

Kal-Adam said:
I have been reading this on Fanfic for ages now, I even have it email me when a new chapter comes out! It's great to see that it's the work of a fellow escapist! :)
Thanks for the support! I've been posting this in three places, here, Fanfic.net, and the official KS forums, so it's cool to see someone from one of those noticing it elsewhere as well :D.

Stokholm said:
But But! :O WE no Need a bad ending >.>
I'm sorry! But we need it so that we can revel even more in the joy of the good ending later, it's like when you crouch down before you jump up, you end up jumping even higher! (I'm only saying that because I was at Leeds Festival over the weekend and Lower Than Atlantis had the crowd do that to get everyone in the dancing mood on the Main Stage...)

Yuuka Kazami

Feb 20, 2013
Trivun said:
I'm doing all the endings and I'd rather get the worst out of the way so I can focus on the good later. Better to end on a happy note than have the good stuff come early then crush all of that later, right? As for the choices, it's already been explained I believe, but if you don't go into town then your later choice doesn't matter, you get the bad end regardless. If you do go into town then your later choice determines whether you get the neutral or the good ending...
Oh so you're going trough all the routes and you'll write every ending? Thats quite something :eek: Thought you'd maybe just go through the good ending and then end it because well its quite some work to do all this here. So its kinda impressive that you're really going to work on everything. And yes it makes sense to go the bad and the neutral one first and then end on the good one. Would suck to have it the other way around. And yea it was explained how you get the endings and i looked it up too so all's fine~ Anyways keep up the good work :D

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Final chapter of the first branch, I'll be moving onto the next branch soon. This was pretty damn hard for me to write, and I don't just mean in the technical sense...

Not for the first time, and certainly not for the last, I wonder how everyone would get along if I were to just disappear. As if I'd never existed, which wouldn't be too far wrong for a lot of people at this damn school. My door is locked, my pillow stained with tears that refuse to fall any more. My heart has broken over and over again and I can't avoid thinking about the irony, no matter how much I desperately want to withhold from keeping him in my head. My only ally has abandoned me, and even then she would be of little use. Everyone who tries to help me just wants to use me, either for their career or their own sense of self worth and importance, or some foolish romantic notion that they can make me better when really all they're serving is their own selfish need to appear good, to appear as though they care about those less fortunate than they are. It makes me sick but I can't even bring myself to do that, my body is so empty. Of food, of water, of feeling, of caring.

I have nothing left.

The door knocks, and I turn away. Is he really here, today of all days? Has he really stooped so low as to disturb my peace, the only peace I've had for days or weeks or ever since my life went so far downhill, and to try and 'fix' me? I can't imagine what must be going through his mind as I ignore his overture so pointedly and so deliberately.

The knocking continues briefly then stops. He tries the door, no luck. Can he not get a hint? A voice calls out, one that I grew to love, once. One that I've now grown to dread.

?Hanako...?

He pauses. Maybe he knows that I'm shutting him out, and the world with him, but he doesn't give a damn. He keeps trying, though surely he must know the pain it's causing? Nothing but a selfish desire to make me better, as if I need to be fixed, like I'm some broken doll that's so close to breaking apart and shattering into a thousand ceramic splinters. Her 'gift' is a stark contrast to how they make me feel.

?Um...? the hateful sound continues. ?I don't know if you can hear me, but...? A pause. ?I just want to talk to you a bit. If you can hear me, could you unlock the door??

I drag it out for as long as I can, knowing that his stubbornness will force his victory, but willing to show I can be as stone too. Our games of chess are forgotten, the aspects of our nature laid bare despite the too-thin panel of timber between us. After minutes have passed, seeming like hours, I finally pick one leg up and swing it out of bed. I don my nightgown slowly, no longer caring about my modesty but refusing to show him my scars, both outwardly and inwardly.

I finally turn the bolt and remove my last vestige of security, knowing that I'll regret this but unable to force the problem away any more. Am I really so naive, so self destructive, that I'll go through this again? Am I so pathetic that despite everything I still want to see his face, to hear his voice and to try and reclaim what might have been (but which I know could never have, would only have driven me further into my despair as the betrayal would have hurt me so much more)? Even when my mind is telling me no, is begging me to hold and to keep him away, my heart is telling me yes, and the irony hits home yet again.

As I play with the lock, still fighting with myself to make a choice, unwilling to open (and secretly hoping it will break, trapping me away from him),he speaks again through the wood. ?I... I don't really know what to say, but... I just wanted to see you. I wanted to make sure you're alright.?

That's the breaking point, the words that make me want to refuse entry once and for all. It's too late, however. I've already stepped back and sat down; the handle is already turning, the door opening and a further feeling of dread creeping over me as I ponder what new mistake I've now made.

He crosses the threshold and I look away, refusing to meet his eye. We stay like that for a moment, too brief to my mind, until eventually he catches mine and I quickly rise on bare feet to face him directly.

?Wh-what are you...?? I meet his daring with a mix of anger and the sorrow I still feel, present still even as my tears refuse to show. Let him explain himself, if he even cares enough to. If he can bring himself to show me the respect that I so desperately crave yet can't ever bring myself to ask for...

?I... I just wanted to check that you were all right. I thought it would be okay, since you unlocked the door.?

I open my mouth then close it, not feeling confident enough to make the retort I want. I unlocked it, yes, and maybe I knew that he would take it as an invitation of entry. It still didn't give him the right to just walk in. A sign of arrogance, or lack of empathy, another display of just how little he really cares, despite his protestations to the contrary.

What am I really thinking? My mind is all over the place, a jumbled mess of contradictions. I can barely hold it together, I know that soon I'll be at the breaking point.

I look down, and in the corner of my eye I see him walking towards the desk, slowly, deliberately. He keeps his eyes fixed on me, as he sits down carefully on the single chair. I wait for him to speak; I'm not kept for long.

?Want to go out somewhere? Going down the hill to town might be a bit much, but we could at least go for a walk outside.?

I can't understand his intentions, save that he seems fixed on getting me to act normally, to act as if I don't have any kind of problem. He's still trying to repair the broken facade, not realising it's much deeper than that. ?Why... do you want to do that??

?I was just thinking that it might help you a bit. You spend so much time inside, your skin's going to get as pale as Lilly's before long.? I was right then, he still thinks I need his help to be made better. He laughs a little, more a snort than anything remotely attractive, which I refuse to reciprocate, staring down again.

?If you don't want to go...? I start, ?I-I don't want to go either.? My former feelings towards him, still plainly evident. I try my very best to push them down, to smother anything I felt for him in the layers of despair currently engulfing me.

I still refuse to let the tears show.

He doesn't give up. ?It's fine. I played soccer and hung out with friends after school a lot before coming to Yamaku, so I like being outdoors.? My silence is all I give him, though it seems like he's slightly rubbing it in, that socially speaking he had so much when I've always had so little. ?We could go to the library... uh, if it wasn't closed by about now. The gardens would be fine, though.?

I try and distract myself from the worst of the thoughts that are threatening to rise up inside me, and start to fiddle with my hair. He looks strangely at me, then leans forward with a smile. I can't see what there is to smile about though.

?There wouldn't be anyone around by now, so you wouldn't have to worry about someone getting in our way. It could be a little date or something.?

He laughs again, a softer one this time, but his words have shocked me. I grip the bed as tightly as I can and it's all I can do to stop a gasp or a small cry of frustration from emerging. I start to speak under my breath, but I can barely understand what words are forming, the disconnection between the parts of my mind is so severe.

?Hanako??

?You... don't understand...? He has no idea how I felt, how much I would have wanted that, if only he'd done it when the time mattered, when it was right. If only he'd understood just how badly I wanted this, and how much he hurt me when he refused before. How much I hate myself for still wanting it despite the betrayal.

?I told you, it's fine. It's just a little walk, nobody'll notice us.? He gets up and walks to the door, turning his head to me. I wish he was leaving completely, but as he looks at me I know the intention is for me to follow.

?I don't...?

He cuts me off before I can finish my half-formed sentence. ?Going outside for a bit is good for clearing your head.? He's pushing further and further, reaching those boundaries that will eventually make me break...

?Why do you... want to do this...?

?Because I want to help you.? Didn't I make myself clear in all the times we've been together like this? Evidently not, but then I already know that. My key failing, and now it's come down to a confrontation I really don't want.

?I don't... want... help.? I answer him shakily. ?Did you just come here... to try and get me out...?? I already know the answer.

?I don't mind. I think everyone needs help sometimes. When I was trying to get through my first days at Yamaku, you and Lilly helped me a lot.? He doesn't understand, he doesn't have any idea how much this hurts. He doesn't care that our circumstances are so different, that he has never had to suffer the way I have suffered, and I find myself right on the very edge. ?Besides,? he goes on, ?I'm not exactly busy.?

?I don't w-want to go. I'm... fine.? I know he won't believe a word but I need him to understand!

?I don't really think it's healthy to stay indoors that long. The sun's still got a little life in it, so it's not too late to have at least a little walk. I could probably use a little exercise anyway, to help wake me up. I've got some homework to get done, and it wouldn't be good to fall asleep halfway through doing it.?

?Then... go.? I finally give him a direct order to leave. If he has homework then surely that's more important than coming here trying to force his way into my life, trying to force a recovery that I don't want from him.

He doesn't listen. ?By myself?? I nod curtly, just once. ?Well,? he replies, ?I'm not really against that, but... are you sure? I swung by to invite you to come with me.? An invitation that you made, and that I refused. Surely so clear an answer can be followed without issue?

?I'm fine. You can go.? I try to force a degree of serenity into my voice, to remain calm despite how close I am now to breaking point.

?Come on, just a small walk.? He perseveres.

?Please, just go. I-I'm fine here.? The stammer returns and I feel the cracks showing. Surely he knows how hard this is?

?...Hanako?? My face is just a stone slab, I know that a single movement will be the final straw and that I won't be able to hold any of it in any longer. ?Well, if you want to stay here... maybe we could play a game??

I keep telling him and he keeps pushing, keeps refusing to take the most obvious clues and even the direct commands, no matter how may times I repeat them. Does he expect me to just change my mind and decide to succumb, bending to his will like a leaf on the wind, as if I have no feelings nor strengths of my own? They're rising higher and higher, forcing against my natural instincts to hide away, just waiting to finally burst... ?Just leave. Please. I don't... want to do anything right now.?

?Surely there's something you want to do. It must be boring, sitting here in your room alone.?

I tell him yet again what I want. ?I want you to go.?

?Come on, you don't have to be like that. I just want to spend some time with you. Lilly and I are worried, so...? I stiffen even more, as if that were possible, at her name. They're both involved in this?

?You... talked to her?? Yet another betrayal!

He finally seems to stumble, but only a little. ?Uh... yeah. We were... on the phone, just a little while ago. We're both really worried about you.?

Just leave, go away, let me be alone, just go, just go, just go, just go please just fuck off Hisao!

?Hanako...??

?I'm telling you... please, go away. You don't understand anything...?

He tries again, heeding absolutely nothing. ?If we just had a talk, you could tell me what I don't understand. I just want to protect you, I don't really see...? That's it, you don't understand because you won't listen when I tell you, you just hide it inside a corner of your mind and disregard it as everyone else disregards me and I'm sick of it! I try to keep calm but it's becoming harder and harder and my thoughts constantly betray my emotions...

?Get... out, p-please...? A broken record. Broken.

?Just locking yourself in your room again isn't going to help anything, Hanako. Please...? Just listen to me for once!

There's another silent moment, broken yet again by constant pleading. ?Hanako, I just want to help you...?

I can't take this any more! Before I know what I'm doing I rise to my bare feet and finally look him in the eyes. ?Get out of my room, get out of my room, get out of my room...!? He stands stunned, not a single sound escaping from his lips. His feet remain where they are, he still can't get the damn message even now! ?Leave! I'm telling you, go!?

?B-but... I was just trying to... help you...? His voice is quieter but I just don't care anymore, I don't care I just want him gone, he will never understand and he will never feel anything for me but pity and I just cannot take this any more, I need him to go, to leave me now and forever!

?I know I need help! I know I'm broken! I don't need you to tell me that!? As I continue with the full force of my pent up frustrations, finally given an outlet, I realise at least part of that is a lie, but by now I just don't care any more.

?I never said you were broken, or anything like that!?

?It's written on your face, it's written on Lilly's face, it's written on everybody's faces!? I continue on unable to stop, but by now I don't want to. He never understood when I tried to explain, he never gave a single damn when I wanted to actually spend time with him, now he feels as if he can just decide when and what I do with him, it's his turn to feel worthless, to feel small, to know that life is not perfect!

?I see a therapist every week, Lilly dotes on me as if I were her child, and now... even you! Nothing's changed, nothing at all! I hate Lilly, and I... I hate you more than anyone...!? As the words leave my mouth I know I can't take them back, nor do I want to. I finally feel free to say and do what I want, as if I matter, though I know it's come at such a high cost.

I don't care.

?Go! Leave me alone! Get out of here!? He finally gets the hint, and slowly edges back, keeping his eyes fixed on mine, step by step until he finally reaches the door. His hand touches the handle and opens it, as he gives me one final look before he leaves. I don't want him here again. I don't want to see him again, nor Lilly. I hope they're happy.

I know I'm not.

As the futility of everything comes into focus, as I realise how far things have come, I lie back on the bed and close my eyes. I want the tears to come but there's nothing left, I can't even muster the energy to cry. I'm utterly spent. We are broken.

The nightmares come again, and for the first time, I embrace them. I know in my heart, my empty, fragile heart, that the first time won't be the last.

Yuuka Kazami

Feb 20, 2013
Bad end is even more bad from Hanakos point of view. Ouch. Its really believable though that she has thoughts like this. I always thought she's stronger than everyone could believe from just seeing her. Imo her bad end really showed it quite well. So yea it really makes your Hanako point of view all the more believable. Really like the way it is till now. Sooooo now go on and write the neutral ending in light speed and then the good ending please :D Can't wait~

Krovius

May 20, 2013
It's been a long time since your last update, I hope you haven't given up on it. I'm here to offer you encouragement. You can do it! This is the #1 thing I look forward to in the entire month, so I'll be waiting. Good luck!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Krovius said:
It's been a long time since your last update, I hope you haven't given up on it. I'm here to offer you encouragement. You can do it! This is the #1 thing I look forward to in the entire month, so I'll be waiting. Good luck!
Haha, thanks :). I haven't given up on it, I just haven't had time to write much since working full time and doing a part-time uni course have taken up plenty of my free time :p. Plus the past few weeks when I would have been writing I've instead been doing coursework. Never fear though, an update will be forthcoming! I've been looking forward for ages to writing the jaunt into the city and moving away from the bad ending, so it shouldn't be too much longer!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Sorry about the delay, I promise the next chapter won't be an almost two month wait!

?So, what do you want to do?? His question catches me slightly off guard.

?I... don't know.? My plans today were to see Lilly off, then sit in my room and do some homework, then read. I didn't think of anything else to do, I had no desire until now to consider doing anything else. With Hisao, however... assuming he does want to do anything with me, that is. I hope so, I hope for it so much...

?Do you want to head into town and look for a bookshop or something? We have the rest of the day free.? He pauses, as if he's not so certain of asking me, as if he thinks I might refuse...

?Okay.? Yes, oh yes this is perfect, more than I could have hoped for.

?Really??

?R-really. Let's go.? I feel a bit annoyed at him for second guessing me, as if I might suddenly change my mind, but I suppose where I'm concerned it's understandable. He gives me a puzzled look and I can't avoid the thought that he simply doesn't understand why I agreed so readily, but as we wait for the bus into town he doesn't question my decision.

We aren't kept waiting too long and the bus ride is pleasant enough. The countryside is pretty, and it's not very far from the small town at the foot of the hill to the city just on the other side. The bus isn't very crowded either, though I can't say the same for the streets when we arrive. I knew it would be like this though, and if I have any problems coping then I only have myself to blame. I can't blame Hisao, not for agreeing to spend time with me like this, without imposing and forcing his way in. What would I have done if he had tried to force himself into my life? I can't even begin to imagine.

We step off the bus and the immediacy of the crowd hits me, all at once. My first instinct is to retreat and hide myself away, but I have to be strong. I settle for holding closely to Hisao, which I'll admit does have its benefits... a young woman clutching the arm of a young man, a rather attractive and nice young man at that... nevertheless my hat still hides my face, keeping hidden the worst of the scars. Not having to deal with the stares would be much better than succumbing to them.

?So, uh, where shall we go? A bookshop?? He gives me the choice of deciding where to haunt, but I don't know the city very well. It's exceptionally rare that I come here, and the night at the jazz bar was the first in a long time. I have no better ideas, so I nod my head. It takes a while for Hisao to notice, however.

?O-okay. D-do you know of one??

?Actually, I do. We passed a few when Lilly and I were looking for your presents...? He breaks off suddenly. I know exactly why, it's the same reason why I look down for a second and show a hint of a frown on my face. I think I can deal with it while he's here, but not mentioning it would be much easier for me.

As he notices his error, I wait for him to continue, but when the silence between us is more than a few seconds old I decide to break it. ?You both... spent a lot of time?? I don't move away from the topic at hand, but I don't know why. Perhaps it's another sign of how I'm growing, how I can cope more when he's around, when he's treating me as a human being. However much I deserve it, or however little, I feel happier and better about myself when he's with me. In any case, I want him to know that he doesn't need to tiptoe on eggshells all the time.

?We wanted to make sure we got the right present, after all,? he continues. I think he knows that the topic is okay again. I smile and blush, I can't help myself. After so long feeling so worthless it's nice to know that somebody truly values me, enough to go out of their way to make me happy. It's amazing that just a few days or weeks ago, I would have thought they were wasting their time, but now I can see that I really am treasured, at least in some small way.

Hisao carries on speaking as we both smile at each other. ?Anyway, there should be a bookshop just up ahead, do you want to check it out??

?S-sure.? We walk again, and I feel confident enough to lean across to Hisao and clutch his arm with my other, so now I'm holding on with both of my own. From the outside I suppose it could look more like a defensive gesture, and in a way it is. I still feel overwhelmed by the people surrounding us, but it's also a sign of affection, at least in my mind. I feel safe enough with Hisao that I can let him protect me, when I want to be protected. As long as I still have my space when I need it.

We don't talk for a while as we walk, but when we get nearer to the bookshop Hisao had mentioned, he asks me a question, seemingly from out of the blue. ?I was wondering, Hanako... have you thought yet about when you're going to learn to drive??

His question surprises me, and I can't help but wonder why he wants to know something like that? ?D-driving??

?Yeah. You're kind of lucky, in a way; there aren't a whole lot of students in Yamaku that are allowed to drive.? I don't answer, I'm too busy trying to understand what he means, and why he asked in the first place. Maybe he just wants to distract me from the crowd. He has a point, my condition is much more manageable in a physical sense (if not a psychological one) than most of our fellow students. Lilly certainly couldn't drive, and I think of Rin Tezuka, who wouldn't exactly be able to steer a car. I suppose Emi Ibarazaki might, though I'm not so clear on the legal side of driving with a disability. I wonder if Hisao would be allowed to learn? On the one hand, he has the physical capability, and could presumably take controlled lessons with no problems. On the other, what if he were to have a heart attack while on the road? What if he was in a road rage incident, and it triggered his condition?

By the time I finish running down the rabbit-holes of my mind in search of a conclusion to my thoughts of driving, we are standing outside a bookshop. A closed bookshop, no less. I see that Hisao shares my opinion on this turn of events... ?What kind of self-respecting bookshop closes on Saturdays?? That being said, though I have the same opinion, I can also think of a very good reason for this.

?Bookshops... don't make much money anymore, because of the Internet. Maybe they just had to close over weekends??

Hisao looks at me, and nods in agreement. ?Huh, I guess that makes sense... it's easier to find books online. Anyway, it looks like this idea is shot. Anything else you'd like to do??

There is one thing, though I didn't want to say anything before... ?I-if it's not... not a bother... could you show me where you bought my present?? I smile, though I can feel the nervous stammer creeping its way in. I'll admit, I am certainly curious to find out where he and Lilly went that day, to find such a cute gift.

?Sure, not a problem. It's not far from here.? We continue walking in the same direction, turning down a few side streets and getting nearly lost in a maze of pedestrianised roads and small stores that sell all kinds of things. A chocolate shop on one side, books on another (also closed), a couple of bars with businessmen singing karaoke (this early in the day?). I spot the same jazz bar we visited before in another street, though it's one that we don't walk down. I'm half certain that Hisao doesn't even know where he's going, until we stop suddenly outside a tiny shop with a number of old chairs, dolls, clocks and other aged items in the window.

?Here we are, Othello's Antiques.? I wonder to myself if the name has any relation to the Shakespearian character (I may not know very much English, but I can certainly say I have a fond appreciation for the translated works of the bard himself). I can't imagine how.

?I-it's small.?

?Well, yes,? comes the reply. ?It took Lilly and I some time to find it.?

?Can we go in?? Now that we're here I have a longing to see just what else this cave of curiosities holds.

?I don't see why not; it's open.? I step forward and push the door open, Hisao following behind. I'm not so sure if there are ever many customers here, it seems pretty quiet. In fact, he and I are the only people here, save for the store's owner, who comes walking across as he hears the bell ring. The owner is a bearded man, around middle age or possibly a bit older, going grey. He reminds me a little of a museum curator. He barely glances at me, though my hat is slightly down again, immediately noticing Hisao. I take it he remembers seeing Hisao with Lilly, as he looks slightly forlorn.

?Oh, you're not here for a return, are you?? He probably can't afford to give many refunds with such a small shop and such an apparently low level of clientele. ?Wait, that's not the girl you had with you last time...?

?Er, no, we're not here to return anything. We were just in town and wanted to have another look in here.? There's a pause as the store owner thinks about Hisao's words. Customers seem rare enough here, two high school students must be a once in a blue moon occurrence. He soon breaks the silence.

?Might this be the friend you bought gifts for??

?That's right. They were presents for her.? Upon hearing Hisao's words, the store owner turns to me, and views at me properly for the first time. I freeze, for I can clearly see, and recognise, the look on his face.

It's one that I'm sadly used to. A mixture of pity and revulsion. I wonder if there's anywhere in the world that people like me can live without prejudice, without being looked down upon like second class citizens? Japan has such a well known and well respected culture, based upon honour, but nobody ever thinks about its ugly side. Honour is everything, and someone like me, or like Hisao, someone different, can never be equal. Yamaku is lauded as a place where we can be prepared for society on an equal level, where young people who happen to be disabled in some way can have a normal life until we're flung out to fend for ourselves. It never gets easier, though. It's easier for those like Hisao, who aren't marked so clearly by their weaknesses, but for someone like me? No matter where I go, no matter how strong I may try and be (even if I don't really feel it), I'm faced with this. I'm considered without honour for having these scars, or for not having arms, or legs, or for being blind or deaf or dumb. Lilly sometimes tells me of her uncle, Shizune's father, and how he reacted at finding out not one, but two members of his family were impure, were not perfect. People question why I appear so weak, but is it any wonder when even the most mild mannered citizen will treat me like nothing at all for simply daring (in their mind) to look different?

To the store owner's credit, he doesn't shy away, nor refuse to acknowledge me like others do. Neither does he stare, again like some I could mention. Instead, he looks slightly away, to the side of us both, though I notice his body is tense and his face clearly shows an awkward expression. I wonder how he reacted when he saw Lilly, when she bought me the doll, and noticed her blindness?

I recall my first meeting with Hisao, and remember that he had much the same look, acted in much the same way, when we first spoke. Or rather, when he first spoke, and I ran away. So it's hard for me to be too angry at the store owner today. ?You're lucky there, young lady. To have friends that care about you as much as they do.?

I can't be upset, not now. There are many who would have refused to notice me, refused to accept my existence. He may have reacted in the same way at first, and may be struggling to accept my scars, but he's made some effort, and I can see how tough it must be to overcome years of prejudice (especially for an older gentleman like him). His words are sincere. ?Th-thank you...?

I walk throughout the store, hoping that maybe the air will clear if given a chance. I look at all the items on display, antiquities and bric-a-brac that I know I can't afford but nevertheless admire. I find the dolls and can see several that look very similar to the one Lilly bought me, although not a single one is exactly the same. Each doll unique, just like I am. Just like Hisao, like Lilly, Akira, and all the other people in my life who have helped me, supported me, and made me the person I am. Sometimes, maybe it's a bit much, and I don't always need the help (a little overdone and overwrought by Lilly especially), but I think to myself how grateful I am to have them all there for me during the times I really need them. And how grateful I am to Hisao for suggesting this little trip. ?This is a nice shop.?

?Yeah,? says Hisao, ?it's not what I expected. Do you want to buy something??

I wish I could, but I can't ask that of Hisao. ?I-I didn't bring any money.?

?Well, we can always come again.?

?W-we can?? If we can still find it, though I have some faith now (at least, more so than earlier) in Hisao's skills as a human GPS.

?Of course. We can come here as often as you'd like.?

I can't tell him how happy I am to hear that, there aren't words for it. I settle on a simple, stammered, ?th-thank you.?

?You don't need to thank me; I almost forgot where this place was.?

I've enjoyed the day, but I think it's probably time to finish this impromptu... well, I can't really call it a 'date'. Can I? ?C-can we go back to the school now??

?Sure thing. Let's go.? We say goodbye to the store owner, and he mumbles a goodbye in return. I see he's still struggling with my presence, but although he never looks at me I can tell from his voice that his goodbye was meant as a pleasant and peaceful wish. We start to walk back up the street, heading towards the bus stop back to Yamaku, when I notice in the corner of my eye Hisao turn his head, to look back towards the store. I don't turn my own head to follow suit, I feel that bit too self conscious to do so. I can't help but wonder, though without any grounding I suppose, what he was looking at...?

We barely speak on the way back, but the silence isn't a bad one. I think Hisao might have been more affected than I was by the look the store owner originally gave me, but what he doesn't realise is that I'm used to that kind of thing. It's new to him, and something that he'll have to deal with a lot less, with his condition being so much easier to hide from people. We're both lost in our own thoughts, whether good or bad, and even as we don't speak we both know there's not much need to. I had fun, and I hope Hisao did too.

Eventually we're standing, alone together, on the steps in front of the dormitories of Yamaku. ?Well then,? I say, ?goodbye.?

?Do you want to have some tea or something? How about a game?? I'm a little embarrassed, but I have to refuse. It's not that I don't want to, but rather that I need to have some alone time now, and I still have work to do. I've enjoyed myself, spending time with Hisao, but too much time together and we stand to lose what makes it so special.

?I... I'm tired. Maybe later? I've got homework...? The disappointment I feel leaks through my words, and on Hisao's face is a sort of half smile that's tinged with sadness.

?Ah, homework. Thanks for reminding me, I've got a stack to do as well.? Lazy! ?I guess I'll see you tomorrow.?

?See you, Hisao.? I turn and walk away, though not without a genuine smile, and head back to the female dormitories, ready to start my work. I look forward to seeing him again soon enough.

Even so, there is something I'm a little worried about. I don't know if Hisao is aware, but tomorrow is the day before my... my birthday. I doubt I'll be in class tomorrow, and probably not for a few days afterwards either. My faith in him is more pronounced, and I hope he'll at least visit, but if he does he risks seeing me at my worst. Could I really face letting him see me like that? In another world, another time, I might be distrustful of him, maybe I wouldn't want him to be there, trying to help me and support me when I clearly don't deserve it. After today, however, I can see that he does care for me, even if it's only as a friend at this point, and he's been willing now to give me my space without complaint even after we've spent so much time in each other's company. I hope I can trust him to give me that space if I need it, and to be there if I want him to be. As for how our friendship, our relationship, develops from here? I'll have to wait and see...

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
Ah, I was wondering what had happened. Though I do understand, I've been swamped with exams and rehearsing for my theater and Japanese classes.
Anyway, it doesn't seem like you've missed bit a beat despite the large gap in your writing. My only criticism is that it seemed like Hanako's thought processes changed pretty sharply at a couple points. That being said I still enjoyed the "chapter". It still seemed to flow pretty well aside from a couple times as I said previously, and it made sense with Hanako's character.
I still look forward to your next addition :)

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
We're nearing the end of another branch! Another choice for Hisao to make, and then we start approaching the endgame... On that note, a few words about the name of this chapter. It's a reference to a 1924 chess game, between champion players, Edward Lasker and Emanuel Lasker (no relation). The match featured a brand new strategy never seen previously, a new fortress variant involving a white king and knight pair against a black king, rook and pawn. Knight to D4 was the final move, before stalemate was declared. It ended in a draw but could have resulted in a black win (there was really no chance of a white victory). I think Hanako would appreciate the parallels drawn. I also feel the analogy is rather apt, in this scenario...

My tears stain the pillow, my gown is damp from crying. I thought today would be better, but in some ways it's only ended up worse. To finally find someone who I can trust, who I can be honest with, only for my emotions to get in the way before I can truly give him that honesty. I didn't have the nightmares but even now I can't bring myself to stop the flow of liquid dripping down my face. I enjoyed my time with Hisao so much yesterday, I thought that maybe I could finally move forward, finally start to put my past behind me.

I was naive to think it would be so easy.

As I weep, alone in an empty bed, I hear a knock on the door. I know exactly who it is, I can't avoid it. I don't want him to see me like this! Not after the happy times we shared together yesterday, and all those times before. I can't bear to let him see me in this state. I try desperately to stop the flow as the knocking continues, louder this time. ? Hanako, it's just me. Mutou said to give you some stuff.?

I can't ignore him. As much as may want to, I just can't do it. He's been so good to me recently, and if I'm going to trust him then I know he'll have to see me in this way before we can make any further progress. Even so, I wipe the last of the tears from my face, the sleeves of my pink gown becoming ever so slightly more wet, and make my way towards the door. I walk slowly, reluctantly, hoping in the back of my mind that when I finally open the door he'll have already left. My eyes are fixed on the floor, expecting to see a set of papers pushed underneath. No such luck.

I reach the door and fiddle with the handle. As I open it I make sure to only let a crack of light shine through, as if to say I don't want Hisao here right now. As ever, he doesn't take the hint, though I guess I should be used to that by now. It's one of the things I like about him so much, and at the same time, one of the most infuriating.

?Hi, Hanako. Mutou wanted me to give you these since you weren't in class today.? He holds out a stack of papers, assignments which I take in hand. My arm drops to my side and I try to avoid meeting his eye. I don't want him to notice the red marks where I've been rubbing my own, or how tired I really am. I just hope that he leaves without question, but in my heart I know he'll stay, if only to make sure I'm alright. ?Are you... okay? If you're feeling sick or anything, I could go get a nurse.?

I'm grateful, and I finally turn my eyes towards his, though only for a second. I'd be better off on my own, but the gesture is welcome. ?I'm fine,? I reply. We wait in silence for a moment. I'm able to look at him properly now, and as I do I notice his eyes point downwards, towards my sleeves and the cuffs of my gown. He can see the stains, and he looks up at my face as I turn away again. What must he be thinking?

?I see.? He gives me no clues with his reply. Another pause, then he speaks again, and his reason for lingering becomes clear. ?Would you like me to stay? I don't have anything urgent to do at the moment, so it wouldn't be any trouble.?

I look away again, at the wall opposite, and downwards. I should have known Hisao would try to stay, to be here with me, and at any other time I would have said yes. I did say yes, when we went to the city, and it was wonderful. But this is a time for me to be alone, and I can't drag him into my own misery. It wouldn't be fair, nor right. ?Hanako?? he presses me to reply. I respond with a shake of my head, albeit with mild regret.

?Okay,? he says. ?Um... good night, then.? He waits, and I close the door without another word. I feel bad to send him away so abruptly, but it's for the best. In any case, I'm glad. He took it better than I thought he would, and I can hope now that we have some kind of understanding. At the same time, I hope I don't see him again for the next couple of days. I can't trust myself to not send him away again. No matter how much I may want to see him.

I can't keep on like this! I keep contradicting myself at every turn, speaking in paradoxes and wishing for the joy of love, of friendship, yet pushing it away every time. It's hard, and as I fall asleep I know I'll not rest tonight, fearing the nightmares that always plague me. It's worse at this time of year. No, I don't want him there tomorrow. Yet if he does come, I won't fight it. I won't fight him. At least as friends we can be together, although we may never push forward and progress our relationship if he does. If he can give me the space I need then maybe, just maybe, what I want will finally occur. If not, then we'll just have to settle for less. When I have the strength I'll return to class, and return to him, but until then... we'll just have to see...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
And another update before Christmas, three days after the last one. This is probably the best I've been with updates so far! Hope you all enjoy this, and have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :)

Today is no worse than any other. I'm shocked in a way, though I can barely register it. Maybe the past few days had some kind of calming influence, after all. My tears from yesterday have not returned, but that could be because I've had so little to drink so far. I haven't left the room, whatever food was hidden away becoming my only sustenance. In truth, I'm more exhausted than anything. I've tried to sleep, but in a strange paradox I found myself unable to rest. My body is fighting itself to nod off, but my mind is telling me to stay awake, and I have to go with what my mind tells me.

I've decided that if Hisao comes today, I won't fight him. I'll admit, I'd rather he stay away, just so that I can avoid him seeing me at my worst, which I realise is a rather selfish way to look at things. I don't care. If I can put it off for just a short while, another year perhaps, then it would be worth it. But if he does try to visit, then I'll allow it, and in a way I could do with the company. At least I know that I have friends, however much I try to push them away. It's hard, and maybe I don't deserve them. Or maybe I do, and maybe I'm being too hard on myself. It's difficult to get out of that mentality even now. I've gone so long feeling worthless that times like these, finally moving forward, become surreal moments where I'm no longer sure of how to progress. My routine has always been to close myself away, and Hisao has ripped that apart without me even realising. He's pushed his way into my life and now I don't know what I would do without him.

I haven't spoken to Miss Yumi for a while. We've touched on matters in our therapy sessions, but I feel as if I have to do this myself. Our meetings have taken a break now while I get through my... (I know I can do this...) my birthday. Any other therapist would say this is an ideal time to talk through my problems, to try and make some motion forwards, but Miss Yumi knows me well enough that she suggested the pause. The last time a therapist tried to hold a meeting with me at this time of the year, I regressed back to six months before, and all the progress we'd made in that time was lost.

Maybe I'm a lost cause. Maybe I'll never get better. But for now at least, I can finally allow myself to think differently. To think that I may be worth something after all, and that my own dreams and wishes are valued in some small way.

I consider sending an email to Lilly, but again I can't bring myself to do it. I certainly can't imagine phoning her. I don't know what the time is in Scotland, and I doubt I could afford the charge for an international call anyway. In any case, being able to allow Hisao here, however tentatively it may be, is a far cry from picking up the phone and taking the initiative. I could go to class but again I don't feel up to it. The questions, the stares, and everything that would come with such a bold move... again, I know I'd do nothing but regress once more. Being able to face just one person would be an achievement, as far as I'm concerned. If it has to be anyone, I'd want it to be Hisao.

I realise I'm talking in circles again. My mind is confused and my thoughts are going nowhere, on the one hand hoping Hisao comes and visits me and on the other wishing that he would stay away. I have to make my mind up for once!

No. I don't want him here. That's the final word. If he does come I'll be grateful, I'll welcome him, and I'll appreciate the gesture, but I'll know then that we can never be together. Not in the way I want. I need space to grieve, to mourn, and to wallow in my self-misery, if only as penance. If he doesn't come, then I can approach him tomorrow, when I have the strength, with hope in my heart and see how he reacts. To finally be certain if he does care, and simply wishes to give me the space I need, or if he had no intention of being here at all for me. Those are my options. As I consider them, and wonder how the day will turn out, I rest my head on the pillow and try to get some sleep, however minimal it may be.

I'm awakened by a knock on the door. I don't know how long it's been since I finally dozed off, but I know who it is. He came after all.

?Evening, Hanako. It's just me.? I wait to see if he'll leave, but he stays put as I hear his voice once more through the door. ?I... I have some food for the both of us. Could I come in??

I consider refusing, but the offer he's made is too tempting to resist. It's nice of him. I really do appreciate it, but in a way I'm disappointed. I didn't want him to come.

He waits, and I admire the patience. I halfway expected him to keep knocking, to plead to come in, no matter how long I wait myself. Instead, he's calm and gives me time to get out of bed, slip my gown on, and walk barefoot across the room to unlock the door.

As I open it, Hisao looks into my eyes, not exactly staring but with a subtle hint of relief and joy that I've decided to let him in. I glance at the package in his left hand, then across to see the same on the right. I retreat, leaving the door open as a beckons for him to follow. I still hope he doesn't, but I promised myself I wouldn't argue or fight. Nevertheless, he enters, just as I predicted.

He closes the door behind him and paces across to the desk, putting down both plates, a quick-fix curry dish and fork upon each. ?Um... it's just an instant meal,? he says as he turns towards me, ?but it should be filling.? I must confess that I am feeling rather hungry, and however much I might not want him here the gesture is the best thing he could have done for me, short of staying away. I don't say anything, but nod graciously as he hands me a plate. I sit on the bed, he in the chair by my desk, and we eat in silence.

It's hardly the best taste, I could have cooked better had I been in the mood, but I don't say anything to him. The thought is what counts, and at least it's edible. It's almost like a regular lunchtime, and I start to think more of the happy times we've had together.

?It's kind of nice, eating together like this,? says Hisao. He clearly shares my own sentiments. As I look at him, partway puzzled at the suddenness of his comment, partway agreeing with what he thinks, he continues. ?We became friends mainly over sharing lunch breaks, so it's nice to go back to those times a bit.?

We pause for a few seconds as I consider his words. I notice a frown forming on his face, ever so gently, and quickly smile and nod. It's mostly to show my feelings, but also slightly to alleviate his own concerns at my lack of response.

A thought hits me, and I begin to worry. What else does he expect? I don't know if Hisao wants more than this, as I do, or if his own feelings towards me are changing, or if he's spoken to Lilly, or whatever else may be happening, that I've not seen in my closed off state. I want him, I truly do, but I also know that as long as we continue like this we can never be together, at least not as anything more than we already share. He needs to realise that, but I can't tell him. I can't bring myself to do it, I don't have the strength nor the self-belief to do so. I settle for asking him a question, a chance for me to understand how things can be for us.

?Everything's... the same as before, isn't it?? Whatever his answer, I have to accept it.

?Y-yeah,? he says. ?Of course it is.? The stammer at the start makes Hisao seem uncertain, something I understand as well as I know that my own stammer has been steadily vanishing ever since I first met him. He continues in a more firm voice, as if to dispel any thoughts of doubt from my mind, and just as importantly, his own. ?You've still got Lilly and me to help you and protect you, and once she gets back, everything will be just like she never left.?

I nod at this. It's just as I feared. I don't want things to be the same, I want them to change. I want to be with him, to hold his hand and embrace him and kiss him and to show myself to him, body and soul. The thoughts race in my mind but all I can focus on is the Hisao sitting across from me with a plateful of rice and curry.

My heart is broken, but in losing a potential lover I realise I've at least gained a true friend. I can't ignore that. As much as I want things to be different, I have to accept this and be content. Maybe they'll understand what I want, eventually, but until then, if things must stay as they were, then so be it.

We conclude our meal and sit awkwardly for a few more moments, each wondering what to say. For once I have to make the first step. Before he speaks I raise my voice. ?I... I was wondering... since y-you're here...? I break off, and move across to a drawer where I pull out a slightly dusty board, folded with playing pieces hidden inside. ?W-would you... like to play...??

His response startles me a little, a clear sigh of relief. He switches seats from the chair to the bed as I set the game up, white and black pieces in neat ordered rows as always. I smile and take my position with the black side close to me, Hisao playing as white.

He makes his move and I reciprocate. As the game begins in earnest, we make the same plays we always do. The same openings, the same offense and defense, the same captures. We regress into our familiar styles of battle. I can't help but worry now that no matter what we say or do, this is always going to be how we stay. A stark vision of the future. It's not all bad, but I wanted more.

I wanted more...