Keanu Reeves is Now a Playable Payday 2 Character

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Keanu Reeves is Now a Playable Payday 2 Character

To promote John Wick, Payday 2 will be getting the titular hitman as a free DLC character.

John Wick [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9833-John-Wick-Movie-Review?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all] is a movie about Hitman making hits, that just came out, and stars the perpetually confused Keanu Reeves. If you saw the movie and thought "this is pretty great, but I wish I could actually be John Wick," then Payday 2 devs Overkill Software can give you the next best thing. In a cross-promotional deal with the movie, Keanu Reeves' John Wick is now a free DLC character for Payday 2

"We continue working with great partners, this time with Lionsgate and their movie John Wick," Starbreeze Chief Executive Officer Bo Andersson Klint said. "We've finally got a real hitman on our team. Being able to play as John Wick in Payday 2 ahead of the movie's release is a great reward for our loyal Payday 2 community, which reached the final milestone of 1.5 million members in our Payday 2 Steam group before our 12-day Crimefest event."

The free DLC is available to all Payday 2 players, and as well as the playable John Wick character, includes a Hitman perk deck that gives you the ability to dual wield weapons, a new Chimano Compact pistol, dozens of modifications for said pistol, a new knife, and three new sunglasses, one just for Wick and two that all characters can use.

Additionally, if you're planning on seeing John Wick and don't yet own Payday 2, purchasing your tickets for the movie via Fandango [http://www.fandango.com/johnwick_175912/movieoverview] will net you a free Steam download code for the game.

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/keanu-reeves-is-a-playable-character-in-payday-2-t/1100-6423178/]

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Wow, this seems like a fun deal for consumers as well. Free game with movie tickets, free DLC for the fans... :D

I am a little confused though; isn't Payday about robbing banks? I'm sure a hitman would stay cool and collected, but... he also makes a living killing people. Which is bad for all involved when cops got shot and they got caught.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I got put into a computer game today, sir.

I just hope you can hit a button to woah.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Is this game still played? I made the mistake of buying the first one on steam sale only to find most of severs totally empty.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Sadly, Keanu himself declined to voice-act for the game, from what I've heard.

Instead, we got a Keanu impersonator who did almost all of his lines while trying to push out a particularly difficult shit.

"Hnngh~ DOOOZERRR!!~"
(Now you can't un-hear it!!)

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
kajinking said:
Is this game still played? I made the mistake of buying the first one on steam sale only to find most of severs totally empty.
Last I checked, Payday 2 seems to have around 50k people online at any given time. Which is good, because playing with only the AI bots is usually a miserable experience.

s0meNo0b

Feb 21, 2011
kajinking said:
There's still a number of people playing. First game is fairly old and I wouldn't think people would still be looking at it with the second one out, but yes Payday 2 is still being played.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
Wow, this seems like a fun deal for consumers as well. Free game with movie tickets, free DLC for the fans... :D

I am a little confused though; isn't Payday about robbing banks? I'm sure a hitman would stay cool and collected, but... he also makes a living killing people. Which is bad for all involved when cops got shot and they got caught.
Robbing banks is the main attraction but there are other types of heist (two of which involve assassination) and several others have a bit more "sophistication" other than a simple smash-and-grab.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I feel like Overkill is handling the character pretty well for, you know, not being able to get Keanu Reeves to interact with them at all, let alone voice act for them, but... I'm not fond of Wick. The original group synergy is really lacking, partly because of this new character taking up a beloved slot, mostly how incomplete all voice actor's lines are because of how rushed he was. But that's something future patches can finish, when Overkill isn't pushing out an update-a-day schedule that each one has cool new update but a few glaring bugs.

Kenjitsuka said:
There is a bit of bank robbing, but there's more to it. Eliminating gangs, assassinating high-leveled people, robbing armored transport vehicles, stealing from dangerous mercenaries, stealing one-of-a-kind jewelry, robbing art galleries, getting corrupt politicians in office, stealing super-viruses, getting the thermal drill, and breaking people out of prisons.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
We may need aerial drone reconnaissance on this one, 'cos that's so f**king far out that I can't even see it any more.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
How long is that free download offer good for? I really don't feel like going to see a movie but might just buy a ticket at the last minute to get the game for about $7.25 after fees. Maybe I can get a hold of some meatspace friends and go see it.

Edit:And I just looked on Steam to see what you pay if you don't funnel money through a service that's only useful for those rare sold out shows and my old place of employment. It costs $7.50 on Steam right now until the 28th. Maybe I'll just get some friends to buy it with me and mock the rushed DLC for an hour, then get serious.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Kenjitsuka said:
Payday is about heists. Which means
a) we do more than robbing banks (like assassinations, framings, stealing from other places,...)
b) we kill A LOT of cops. About 200 to 400 in longer jobs.

octafish said:
I got put into a computer game today, sir.

I just hope you can hit a button to woah.
"Woah, Sniper" is a possible callout if you mark a sniper.

Hairless Mammoth said:
How long is that free download offer good for? I really don't feel like going to see a movie but might just buy a ticket at the last minute to get the game for about $7.25 after fees. Maybe I can get a hold of some meatspace friends and go see it.
I think as long as the offer is valid, you get a code.
Othrwise, the game is currently on a 75%-sale, anyway (until Tuesday)

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Bindal said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
I think as long as the offer is valid, you get a code.
Othrwise, the game is currently on a 75%-sale, anyway (until Tuesday)
Yeah, I just noticed it's 75% off. What I wanted to know was how long was Fandago giving out those codes. The site has a link to the offer wayyyy at the bottom of them page linked in the article, and it says nothing else about the offer when you click on it, just the same icon at the bottom and showtimes in the area you entered. (No wonder at my old job I had problems all the time with people on the phone trying to buy tickets. I usually just convinced them to forget about headaches and paying extra, even though that was another area we nickle and dimed them.)

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
s0meNo0b said:
kajinking said:
There's still a number of people playing. First game is fairly old and I wouldn't think people would still be looking at it with the second one out, but yes Payday 2 is still being played.
Well the issue was that I bought the first game before the 2nd came out and it was still completely dead when I tried to play, that's the main reason I've skipped over the 2nd whenever the 2nd game goes on sale. I really don't want to waste more money on a multiplayer game only to find it empty even if it is a great deal.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
It's a real shame that they couldn't actually get Keanu Reeves to do the voice work, but that was always pretty unlikely. I kinda wish they'd gone all out with the bad impression though, making loads of references to his movies. Needs more "Woah", and saying things like "Guess I get to be president after all!" but I guess that might get them in trouble with the people behind the film if they made it too meta. Having said that, I don't find his voice acting as terrible as some people seem to.

As for him breaking up the gang, I'm fairly certain they're intending to add more and more characters to the roster such as Old Hoxton and the female heister they teased. It's just that with John Wick being the first one they added and being a movie tie in, he's catching quite a bit of flak for it. The people on the Payday 2 Steam forums are bitching uncontrollably, but that's literally all they ever do no matter what.

kajinking said:
s0meNo0b said:
kajinking said:
Well the issue was that I bought the first game before the 2nd came out and it was still completely dead when I tried to play, that's the main reason I've skipped over the 2nd whenever the 2nd game goes on sale. I really don't want to waste more money on a multiplayer game only to find it empty even if it is a great deal.
Yeah, Payday 2 is pretty active and has been for a long time due to the regular updates and Stem deals; it's rare that there's a month without some kind of update, and right now they're doing an especially big one over the course of a week. Oh, and the original Payday was recently available for free on Steam, so it might be a bit more active right now if you're interested.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
I'd love this dlc... shame that OVK is not updating the console versions... like at all

In over a YEAR

I really don't think I am going to buy their games anymore, The 360 version of the game is more like a paid beta for payday 2

Also, no actual Keanu? thats a shame

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
It'll be odd seeing Keanu Reeves express emotions other than "whoa".

Y'know, because even a static video game sprite will have more range than he does.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
LGC Pominator said:
I'd love this dlc... shame that OVK is not updating the console versions... like at all

In over a YEAR

I really don't think I am going to buy their games anymore, The 360 version of the game is more like a paid beta for payday 2

Also, no actual Keanu? thats a shame
Blame Microsoft, not Overkill. Microsoft is putting so many stones in their way that it's nearly impossible to update for them.
Similar issue with Sony, but there they could release two updates now, adding everything up to Infamy.