Keeping Your iPhone 6 in Your Pocket May be Warping it - Update 2

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
RoBi3.0 said:
introducing the brand new state of the art Apple iFannie. No it is not a fannie pack. It is a premium hip mount storage unit for your iPhone 6+. It is crafted from state of the art 600 thread count polyester. The advance technology zippered enclosure is lined with supple nylon that cradles the your phone with care. The superior belt fastener is painstakingly created from select polyurethane. There is no other hip mounted storage unit like this on the market.
I can't imagine that would take off in Australia....[sub/]or maybe it would[/u]

ie: Fanny here means Vagina we call them "bum bags"

......ibum?.....no

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
ie: Fanny here means Vagina we call them "bum bags"

......ibum?.....no
It's Apple. If they can't do the research to see what happens to their phones in a pocket, they're not going to care about that.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I now want to see, just for shits and giggles, a bend test of the old Nintendo GameBoy. The original.

Just to see how far we've come. XD

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
walrusaurus said:
Whatislove said:
I'll say the same thing that I've been saying to Apple fan boys all day on facebook:

If this phone cost $500, this would be acceptable, $500 is more than reasonable for the specs of the phone; but this phone isn't $500, it's $1000-$1449 depending on the model and memory size.
The price range on the iphone 6 is 650-850 not 1000=1449. Theres plenty of legitimate complaints to make about apples pricing, without having to make stuff up. Like charging 100 bucks for 15 bucks worth of additional memory while refusing to put in sd card slots. Or the fact that every other phone currently selling at the 650+ price point has 3-4x the RAM larger batteries and high resolution displays.

I agree with most of what you said, but inflating things like that ruins your arguement.
The memory used in iPhones is not SD quality. A SD card would simply fail in half the use cases.

The internal iPhone memory is a tiny SSD, and iOS needs it to be that fast.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
RoBi3.0 said:
Laggyteabag said:
Another phone, another dreadful design flaw.

It isnt even like putting the phone into your pocket is like putting it into a vice, it is where phones should be able to go. What next? Apple branded man-handbags?
introducing the brand new state of the art Apple iFannie. No it is not a fannie pack. It is a premium hip mount storage unit for your iPhone 6+. It is crafted from state of the art 600 thread count polyester. The advance technology zippered enclosure is lined with supple nylon that cradles the your phone with care. The superior belt fastener is painstakingly created from select polyurethane. There is no other hip mounted storage unit like this on the market.
I actually, no joke, expect something just like this. I've already had Apple fans look at me weird when I said I didn't understand the point of such a big, thin phone when you can't fit it in your pocket. As in, look at me weird for wanting to put my phone in my pocket instead of in a purse. "But it has incredible resolution and blah blah for games and photos and watching TV!" If that's the main thing they want out of a phone, why not buy a tablet?

I have a 4S and it's the last Apple product I'll ever buy. I already think it's too fragile and that UI redesign is absolutely horrid. I'll really miss the voice recognition since I dictate memos and lists constantly, but their stuff just isn't worth the price and I want a more durable, practical product.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Paradox SuXcess said:
It's like the time when the iPhone 4 came out and people lost signal cause they held it... in their hand. What was Apple's advice to that? "Don't hold it wrong". Seriously? I didn't know that's how phone signal worked.
you can loose signal by covering the phone in your hands on any phone. the problem with iphone 4 was that they installed the antenna in the place where people usually cover thier hands whereas on normal phones its installed in place you dont usually cover it (and actually modern phones have TWO antennas so that if you cover one the other is still functional). mobile signal itself does not penetrate human body, thus hands can block it.

Charcharo said:
Evil Smurf said:
I'm sure using a case will fix it. That's what I'll do when I upgrade.
You should not need a case for something so basic...
you should not need a case for anything if the phone build quality was adequate (with exception of really dangerous enviroment, like if your work includes constantly bumping into things that could hit the phone hard ect)

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
Apple has become a follower of the other brands, it finally makes an iphone over 4.5" after years of delays

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
This seems like a great example of shoddy engineering on Apple's part for the iPhone 6+ . I don't think they did enough stress testing in that means based on the video and photos seen.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I have never really liked Apple phones, and the only Apple product I own is an iPod classic, and that is the way I am going to keep it. I am quite happy with my Sony Xperia E1. I don't like the thought of spending most of a month's wage on a phone that I can't put in my pocket.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
marioandsonic said:
I'm planning to get a new phone soon. I currently have a iPhone 4S. It's not a terrible phone, but holy shit, I am sick of dealing with iTunes.

I'm probably going to get an Android, but I don't know which one...

Can anyone recommend a phone for me? I tend to play a lot of games on my phone.
I have a Nexus 7 tablet I'm quite fond of, but while that's not a phone, my brother has a Nexus 5 phone that seems every bit as good as my tablet. My phone is an old piece of crap barely worth being referred to as a smart phone. It's got a physical keyboard which is why I like it.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Whatislove said:
Apologies for the late response, but I just got into this thread and saw your post.

Anyways, I'm going to have to greatly disagree with the notion that this kind of frailty is acceptable with even a $500 phone. Maybe something around $100 - $200... maybe. But a phone that costs as much as an Xbox One with Kinect or a mid-low range desktop (let alone something that costs as much as a moderately high-end PC rig like the iPhone 6) being too fragile to even keep in your pocket (where phones are often kept) is absolutely outrageous.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
marioandsonic said:
I'm planning to get a new phone soon. I currently have a iPhone 4S. It's not a terrible phone, but holy shit, I am sick of dealing with iTunes.

I'm probably going to get an Android, but I don't know which one...

Can anyone recommend a phone for me? I tend to play a lot of games on my phone.
The Sony Xperia Z series is a great phone, I've had the Z1 and Z2 and they've been the best phone's I've ever owned, even surviving dropping out of my pocket as I'm running onto the train platform. Waterproof too.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
V da Mighty Taco said:
Whatislove said:
Apologies for the late response, but I just got into this thread and saw your post.

Anyways, I'm going to have to greatly disagree with the notion that this kind of frailty is acceptable with even a $500 phone. Maybe something around $100 - $200... maybe. But a phone that costs as much as an Xbox One with Kinect or a mid-low range desktop (let alone something that costs as much as a moderately high-end PC rig like the iPhone 6) being too fragile to even keep in your pocket (where phones are often kept) is absolutely outrageous.
I don't think it is even acceptable on a $100-200 phone. I just conveyed my message a little differently than I was thinking.

What I meant was that this type of thing would be a little more forgivable if Apple sold the iPhones for what they are actually worth.

The phone costs them $200USD to make, the hardware is on par with 2 year old phones like the HTC One and Nexus 5 which are both around $400-500AUD, but Apple sell them starting at $999 with the 128gb model being $1249! They sell it at this price mainly due to "build quality" and "premium materials" but this has just been found to be an absolute load of shit.

They are selling the phone for twice what it's worth and they justify that with the very thing we have just debunked, the phone can bend in your pocket and you can utterly destroy it with your finger tips. That is not an extra $500 worth of build quality.

When did "build quality" become "how it feels in your hand" anyway? That has nothing to do with build quality... so what if it feels smooth, that has nothing to do with how well it's built or how premium the material is.

And on another note, when the hell did Aluminium become a premium material? I can buy a thin sheet of aluminium that has the same amount of raw material as used on 12 iPhones from my local hardware store for under $15. In less than 5 minutes of google searching I sourced thin aluminium sheeting for $1800 PER METRIC TON.

Aluminium is cheap, plastic is actually more expensive. If anything were premium here it would the polycarbonate used on Nokia devices.

Plastic is not only more expensive than aluminium but it is stronger, more robust and more appropriate for an electronic device. I don't know why fanboys keep lapping up Apple and HTC's bullshit about how premium and expensive aluminium is when it is one of the cheapest and weakest materials you can buy.