Ken Levine: BioShock Infinite Is "My Game"

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Ken Levine: BioShock Infinite Is "My Game"

Infinite's creative director is taking full responsibility for Columbia's direction.

Developing a game as complex as BioShock Infinite [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110797-E3-BioShock-Infinite] is a lengthy process that usually requires input from a variety of creative minds. The creative lead at Infinite studio Irrational Games, Ken Levine, is well aware of the need for this kind of diversity - but when it comes to this game, all of the final calls are his.

In an interview with Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/26/too-many-chefs-ken-levines-thoughts-on-auteurship-editorship/], Levine framed his role in previous BioShock titles within terms that people outside of games development should find easy to digest. "[It's like being the] editor of a magazine ... but I'm also a writer for the magazine," he said. "I believe more in editorship. Auteur sounds like you do everything."

While he accepts that Infinite is by no means the product of just one mind, he does admit that things are a little different this time. "[BioShock Infinite] is my game," he continued. "I love the fact that we sit down and chat with [other developers], but at the end of the day ... this thing's gotta be my decision."

Levine has already E3 demo [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/13/bioshock-infinites-elizabeth-shaped-by-ken-levines-experiences/]/trailers/everything we've heard til now didn't look so gorgeous), but right now, Infinite doesn't look set to do anything other than impress us all way to that blue sky and back.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/26/too-many-chefs-ken-levines-thoughts-on-auteurship-editorship/]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well, if it flops, then I'm glad someone will be willing to take responsibility. And Levine seems likely to do that, since he apologized for some of the rougher aspects of Bioshock 2 as well.

Apr 28, 2008
Sweet. The Metal Gear Games are basically run solely by Kojima, and while their quality is debatable(but 3 is still the best), it's still very interesting to see.

Now I'm way more interested in Infinite.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Well, if it flops, then I'm glad someone will be willing to take responsibility. And Levine seems likely to do that, since he apologized for some of the rougher aspects of Bioshock 2 as well.
I'm not calling you a liar or anything so don't take what I'm about to say as such, but why in the hell would Ken Levine apologize for Bioshock 2, seeing as he had pretty much nothing to do with it. At all.

OT: Ken Levine has already joined the sainthood simply for being responsible for the masterpiece that was System Shock 2, anything he's done afterward is just gravy.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Ken hasn't been shy about his ideas of taking Bioshock Infinite to a new direction. Frankly I like where this direction goes. (Though my acrophobia would like to have a word)
I'm looking forward to how this plays out.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I've said many times before, but Ken Levine is practically my idol when it comes to game design. He is a damn smart person and he isn't afraid to state his opinion clearly and bluntly. I really do respect him as a game designer. A game like Bioshock probably would never have been created if an entire team just conglomerated with whatever came to their heads, it's much too focused of a game.

I remember I've asked about a more auteur method in game design, putting a face behind the whole team for everyone to direct praise to. Making games is definitely a team effort, as is true for many medias, but sometimes you need the focus of a single person to direct that team to truly get everything you can out of it.

I am definitely looking forward to Bioshock: Infinite

Soviet Heavy said:
Levine seems like the kind of stubborn asshole that, even if he screws up, he'd apologize for it because at least it was because he screwed up, not because some publisher meddled with his creation. I really have nothing but respect for the guy, so I'm probably giving him more credit than he deserves.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
"IT'S ALL MINE, I TELL YOU! MIIIIIIIIIIIINE! MY PRECIOUS!"

*ahem*

OT: It's still a group effort, Mr. Levine. You'd have nothing if it weren't for all the others in employ at Irrational Games. Credit where credit is due would be nice.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Hevva said:
Levine has already hinted that aspects of one of Infinite's lead characters, time-space-tearing Elizabeth, are based on his experiences with a girlfriend who suffered through an abusive relationship, suggesting the slightly more personal nature of this title.
Woah! An abusive relationship where your girlfriend rips holes in times and space? The break-up must've been painful, to say the least.

biocrock

Oct 28, 2011
Ken Levine is way overrated. All they did in the bioshock was rippoff everything from System Shock 2, which was their own take on System Shock 1, and put it on consoles with stupid-friendly console gameplay. I dont know why this guy is regarded as some kind of game design god.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GaltarDude1138 said:

*ahem*

OT: It's still a group effort, Mr. Levine. You'd have nothing if it weren't for all the others in employ at Irrational Games. Credit where credit is due would be nice.
Of course it's a team effort, but then let's direct that towards the film industry with their focus on directors.

The whole auteur theory behind entertainment is an interesting one. I mean, you have to admit, some of the biggest franchises in gaming are connected to a single person (Sid Mier's Civilization, Kojima with Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War Cliffy B, Will Wright Sims, etc...) as it allows the person to more personalize the game to them. It's nice to know that there's a person who's really enthusiastic about the game rather than just a group of people sweating it up to get the game out. It may be but sometimes you might need the focus of a solitary, primary leader rather than a collective group of people.

biocrock

Oct 28, 2011
Jumplion said:
GaltarDude1138 said:

*ahem*

Of course it's a team effort, but then let's direct that towards the film industry with their focus on directors.

The whole auteur theory behind entertainment is an interesting one. I mean, you have to admit, some of the biggest franchises in gaming are connected to a single person (Sid Mier's Civilization, Kojima with Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War Cliffy B, Will Wright Sims, etc...) as it allows the person to more personalize the game to them. It's nice to know that there's a person who's really enthusiastic about the game rather than just a group of people sweating it up to get the game out. It may be but sometimes you might need the focus of a solitary, primary leader rather than a collective group of people.
Yes, but the whole team deserves praise, not the figurehead speaking with the gaming press. That's a big error much like in the film industry.