Ken Levine Wants You To Stop Staring At His Big Sisters

KILGAZOR

Magnificent Retard
Dec 27, 2010
I demand that instead of changing her breast size, Mr. Levine has to include a subplot about why she has to wear such a low cut dress.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Sorry Ken, but if you're going to put that much cleavage on show then people are going to notice. Aside from that, i'm pretty sure you're the only person talking about it, everyone else has just made the obligatory "lol, boobs" joke and moved on.

Here's a tip, instead of putting her in clothing that as daystar quite rightly said, is designed to enhance the boobs and a coat that doesn't look like it ever could cover them, how about you actually put her in practical clothing. That way people won't comment on her being sexualised.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
What? Not buying it.
He specifically designed her that way. Let's not forget that if her costume was at all period accurate, she'd be covered up with a shirt under that outfit.

Instead of taking the most breast enhancing outfit possible from the period, removing any pieces that cover the breasts, and then giving her quite large breasts on top of all that, why don't you just make her look less breast-focused?

I mean, yes, I understand the silhouette argument. Just give her a shirt, solve all your problems.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Iron Mal said:
It's one of those things up there with women who complain about men staring at their breasts and yet insist on wearing figure enhancing and skin revealing clothing.
Dude we should be able to wear what we want. If men can't control themselves it isn't our fault, we have every right to complain if a guy is creeping on us.

As for Elizabeth, Well I'm not keen on her costume as it is, If it's meant to be a victorian type era she wouldn't be showing that much skin anyways.

It just sounds like Ken is trying to turn it into a 'thing' to sell more games al'a Lara Croft.
People are allowed to dress however they want, as much as people are allowed to look where they want.

PS: this isn't Victorian era but 1912 is well into the Edwardian era, and highly inappropriate to name an American territory like Columbia by the rule of British Monarchs. Columbia is a pretty insane kind of place and what little we know about Elizabeth she has had an extremely radical upbringing compared to most women of the US at that time.

1910's was an interesting era for the US; the first Red-Scare, height of US experiment with colonialism, death of the "wild west", return of the KKK terrorists, Suffrage movement, Temperance movement (that would culminate in Prohibition by end of the decade), final settling of Continental US borders, First Major military intervention in Europe (First World War), Spanish Flu, Establishment of Hollywood. Women were not as buttoned down as many might imagine, it was a time of great change and turmoil, turmoil not to be seen again in America till the 1960's.

PPS: if boobs sold video games then Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball would have outsold (the boobless) Black Ops in a ratio of 10-to-1. I highly doubt Ken is trying to make this a "thing". I think if Bioshock Infinite is depending on breasts to sell then they don't have much hope on selling at all, and I think they have a lot more to offer than that. Like what an amazing place like the Flying City of Columbia must be like to explore.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
...People were focused on Elizabeth's chest area?

*takes a look*

Oh...well, I guess that will do it. =/

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
How likely is a decision to de-emphasize a female video game character's figure that wasn't born out of side-stepping a particular county's ratings or standards to make it past the marketing department? Especially this late in the game, when so many people have become so familiar with the image of Elizabeth we've been presented in all the previews and media to date?

I appreciate that there's been some real work put into making her a fully-fleshed out character (no pun intended), and it does show through in what we've been shown thus far. But suggesting that she was never designed with a certain amount of sex appeal in mind at this late date seems somewhat disingenuous at best.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
...No one's played the game yet. How are we supposed to talk about what she's going through?

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
I'm sorry, was there an article attached to that picture of clevage? quite honestly, I didn't actually notice how big her boobs were in the demo video, and this drawing my attention to them has just served to make me want to play the game more. I'm sure this is just a stunt to make sure people pay attention to her boobs without making it look exploitative.

I'm looking forward to see girls cosplaying as Elizaboobies, but it'll just be an added bonus to the great gameplay and story.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Iron Mal said:
It's one of those things up there with women who complain about men staring at their breasts and yet insist on wearing figure enhancing and skin revealing clothing.
Dude we should be able to wear what we want. If men can't control themselves it isn't our fault, we have every right to complain if a guy is creeping on us.
Let's review all the laws in the United States. I'll give everyone a minute to find and read them.

Done? Good. You now know that "staring" is not a punishable offense in any state, county, city, town, or territory as long as the "staree" is in a publicly visible location (i.e., does not have a reasonable right to privacy). [Legal disclaimer: This is not legal advice, and should not be taken as such. Azuaron is not a lawyer, and has not read all the laws in the United States. However, Azuaron is reasonably certain this is true. Upon proof that this is not true, Azuaron will award proof-giver 1 (one) internet and correct the data.]

Yelling also isn't, in most circumstances, illegal, depending on what time it is and what's being yelled. Neither is: honking your horn for no reason, talking loudly on your cellphone in a restaurant, or driving with your high beams on all the time.

Do those things make you kind of a jerk? Yes. But, to take the honking example, if someone's about to hit you because they're changing lanes without looking, a honk is certainly justified. A honk is possibly justified if someone has a sign that says to honk if you agree to something. A honk is questionable--at best--on a quiet suburban street and you're too lazy to get out of your car to knock on your friend's door or call them with your cell phone, so you decide to be inconsiderate to everyone within a block.

The social acceptability of a legal action is proportional to the degree with which that action was provoked and the company of peers around the person performing the action. For instance, staring at a woman in non-revealing clothing is not socially acceptable in pretty much any company other than construction workers. Staring at a naked woman is socially acceptable even if I'm with my wife, because she'll be staring right along with me at just how bafflingly weird (and illegal!) that is.

Unless the woman being stared at is part of the company of peers, her opinions on the matter are irrelevant, and, anyway, must be assumed based on what she's wearing. I.e., if she's showing cleavage to her belly button, she must be fine with people looking at her cleavage down to her belly button; that's a simple logical assumption that can only be refuted under absurdly specific circumstances. But, as previously stated, unless the woman is in the starer's company of peers, those circumstances are unknowable anyway.

Now, if someone is staring in an amount disproportionate to the goods on display, they still have a legal right to stare (assuming said goods are in public), but anyone witnessing this "over-stare" has the social right to not associate themselves with that person. Just like we have the social right to not associate with people who talk loudly on cell phones in a restaurant.

And just like we have the social right to not associate with people who dress like hookers.

Just sayin'.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*sticks massive boobs on corset-wearing character*

"Yup, it's all about the eyes."

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
How is it possible that Elizabeth used to be a little sister? The game is a prequel so the little sisters wouldn't exist yet.

As for Elizabeths "design choices", am I the only one who sees the inspiration from anime? Not in just the chest area but also the large expressive eyes as well? The way I see it this is another Skullgirls situation where Americans emulate how Japan draws women and suddenly has to deal with the standards in our own country instead of being ignored when its imported from Japan.

I can understand his frustration, coming up with a well rounded character (no pun intended) can take a lot of work and when people only focus on the globs of fat hanging from their chest, it can be incredibly annoying. If it bothers him so much however there is nothing stopping him from changing the design, although I wouldn't reccomend it. Ta tas draw a crowd and as much as I hate to admit it, there are going to be some people who buy the game only because they see a pair of lovelies on the box. A few extra sales can't hurt anyone. Elizabeth's character in the end isn't hurt that much either, especially if it is as strong as he thinks it is (and I have no doubt that it is, Holy crap is every trailer incredible).

Personally the only reason I think he even brings up this matter is to encourage discussion of his game, since it has been a little while since a new trailer came out. Now along with all your nerd rage, we all are thinking about the game again which is exactly what he wants.

Dec 14, 2009
DrunkenElfMage said:
How is it possible that Elizabeth used to be a little sister? The game is a prequel so the little sisters wouldn't exist yet.

As for Elizabeths "design choices", am I the only one who sees the inspiration from anime? Not in just the chest area but also the large expressive eyes as well? The way I see it this is another Skullgirls situation where Americans emulate how Japan draws women and suddenly has to deal with the standards in our own country instead of being ignored when its imported from Japan.

I can understand his frustration, coming up with a well rounded character (no pun intended) can take a lot of work and when people only focus on the globs of fat hanging from their chest, it can be incredibly annoying. If it bothers him so much however there is nothing stopping him from changing the design, although I wouldn't reccomend it. Ta tas draw a crowd and as much as I hate to admit it, there are going to be some people who buy the game only because they see a pair of lovelies on the box. A few extra sales can't hurt anyone. Elizabeth's character in the end isn't hurt that much either, especially if it is as strong as he thinks it is (and I have no doubt that it is, Holy crap is every trailer incredible).

Personally the only reason I think he even brings up this matter is to encourage discussion of his game, since it has been a little while since a new trailer came out. Now along with all your nerd rage, we all are thinking about the game again which is exactly what he wants.
Read the title again and keep reading it until it hits you.

You'll kick yourself for missing it.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Come now, I practically live on the internet and I haven't heard anyone talking about her tits. Why is Levine complaining about a practically nonexistent problem?

Oh, I get it, Levine's trying to drum up a bit of free publicity by making this nonsensical statement. clever git

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"It's disappointing when [Elizabeth's chest] becomes a focus for conversation..."
That has to be the funniest clarification phrase I've ever seen inside of editorial brackets before. Props, Mr. Chalk.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I don't see what the problem is, who cares if people think she is sexy? Isn't that a good thing? If it is so bothersome, shrink them or release a sweater DLC for her, not that big of a deal if you ask me. Now that you mention it she does have pretty eyes.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Iron Lightning said:
Come now, I practically live on the internet and I haven't heard anyone talking about her tits. Why is Levine complaining about a practically nonexistent problem?

Oh, I get it, Levine's trying to drum up a bit of free publicity by making this nonsensical statement. clever git
He is going in quite the clever way about it.

"Guys, look at her eyes, not her tits. No, especially not her bosom. Her well-rounded, shapely pair of jugs bouncing in the Columbian heat. Don't even think about her twin floaty balloons, sticking out of her tight bodice like two ripe melons in a small basket. Her eyes are what's important."

Or maybe his wife was in the room with him.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"In terms of her body type, I think certainly people on the Internet have spent way more time thinking about Elizabeth's chest than I have. It's something I've barely thought about"
Aah, but you have thought about it I've noticed. :p

Though I will say that her eyes are absolutely gorgeous.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
This is an outrage! Practically heterophobic! He's trying to deny me my right to oogle and/or talk about pixelated tits! I'm so boycotting this game now.

Seriously though, people have been commenting on her jugs? 'Cause I haven't heard anything at all about her mountains of Jugseroth.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Say what you want Levine, but don;t change it. Because that would be one of the biggest asshole moves in a long while.