Ken Levine Wants You To Stop Staring At His Big Sisters

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought her eyes looked a bit... odd. That's what's been getting my attention so far, far more than her chest.

Anyway, I'm a little on the fence on Elizabeths character design. On the one hand, it is very distinct, something which all important characters in any video game need to be, and her clothes seem appropriate for the time period. On the other hand, her exaggerated eyes gives her an incredibly uncanny valley-esque face, which, in the otherwise pretty realistic-looking universe we've seen so far, makes it feel like she's stumbled in from an anime.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
Hey if he didn't want people to focus on them, he shouldn't have made her 'sweater puppies' (thats a great euphemism, I'm going to try and use that appropriately one day) so large.

There is always 'hot babes' and women with perfect figure in video games. There aren't very many realistic portrayals of women in games. They usually are either the 'badass babe' or the damsel in distress. They never really hold their own as a character, but are usually relegated to a love interest.

Now that Ken Lavine pointed it out, her eyes are BUGGIN!

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
Tenmar said:
I'm sorry but if he does change her it will be one of the biggest mistakes he will make as a game designer. Strong and alluring without actually emphasizing her sexuality is what makes her attractive and now I know why people were all hung up over Alex Vance. Mr.Levine also needs to realize that she was the first character they really introduced in Bioshock Infinite and movie really made a difference in the impression especially when you surround her saving a guy with roses until she is promptly taken into the darkness.

I'm gonna be honest, her breasts aren't really that big compared to what most people would complain about. She has a very attractive face and the dress accents her figure and not once has Mr.Levine allowed Elizabeth to show a jiggle from all the teaser trailers.

If you ask me I think Mr.Levine is spending way too much time on the internet and way too much time with the hardcore crowds that honestly make up a minority of the games industry. True that hardcore is probably a good deal of the target demographic but he should realize that at the end of the day they are going to love the whole package of the game and not just the character. If the game is terrible then nothing is really going to keep Elizabeth in the minds of the gaming community.
gotta disagree with you, tenmar, my old cup-o-tea, my old spotted dick. sorry, haven't had breakfast yet. i think people have cued into the breasts thing rather quickly because we expect maturity from a bioshock game. id say maturity includes not objectifying women. by making her dress ridiculously revealing (especially for the 1910s, when the game is set) it signifies that maybe she isn't anything more than eye candy. by ridiculing it we are telling Mr. Levine that we expect more out of his team than this.

you compare her to alyx vance from half-life 2. well, theres a reason alyx doesn't wear a revealing shirt. valve wants us to take her seriously and relate to her on an emotional level, which would be sorta hard if she had a huge chest and a deep neckline.

bioshock is one of those games that we can stand up as a pinnacle of game design, but when its artists choose to create characters that clearly objectify women, it sucks.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
One of her eyes is off center, yeah you put all your work into that buddy.
Also her head is big in comparison to her body, sort of like a bobble head.
Her breasts are the only thing that seem right.

praus

Jun 21, 2010
Machocruz said:
Well Ken, you guys could have made her a "plain jane," average looking woman. Any credible narrative reason why you chose to make her a busty babe instead?
He was quoted as saying in the article that he gave her an enhanced shape to make her silhouette easier to spot from a distance. She does seem to run off a lot in the trailers.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
You know chances are if you don't stop staring at her they'll put her in a much less revealing shirt.
And do you want that?
No?
Didn't think so.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
darthotaku said:
wintercoat said:
darthotaku said:
I'm looking forward to see girls cosplaying as Elizaboobies, but it'll just be an added bonus to the great gameplay and story.

You mean like that?
yep. exactly like that.
I was never thinking all that much thinking about Elizabeth's boob problems but seeing this lovely outfit on real person I have to admit that eyes, no matter how pretty, are not the first thing you notice >_<

Hypermini

Jan 5, 2012
just saying elizibeths character is based on a ex girlfriend of his(levines)that was abused and eventually left him for the guy who abused her. watch the 15 minute demo and knowing this makes the part where shes quaking in fear in the novelty shop and asking you to kill her alot more heart breaking. songbird is supposed to be from what i gather in interviews in an almost abusive relationship with her. i dont know how much he based her appearance on this ex of his but basing your creation on someone like that and getting guys perving on her is a good (and silly in the first place) reciepe for him to make a rage article and lo and behold!

anyway to cut a long story short that may be why he's a little pissed, though i do agree with people that the story (i.e stuff i just said) needs to be more easily availiable than watching video interviews and piecing it together because you were curious because of the boob debate. dont worry the irony isnt lost on me either -_-

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
Well, the game hasn't gone gold yet, if Kevin is really that hung up about The Internet and it's insatiable urge for more bewbs, he's still more than capable covering those puppies with a different top. It's not a big issue really and harping on it like that seems a bit immature on his part, especially when (as he said) he can still change the design. I do like her eyes though, those are great.
That's probably a design nightmare, especially if he's working with an external deadline.

Still, I'm not seeing what has people getting super excited over teh bewbz.

also, her eyes look less expressive than the do creepy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Incomer said:
I was never thinking all that much thinking about Elizabeth's boob problems but seeing this lovely outfit on real person I have to admit that eyes, no matter how pretty, are not the first thing you notice >_<
Seeing that outfit on a real person would start "Pop Goes the Weasel" playing in my head.

Seriously, it's not the most awkward thing you could try and cosplay, but fighting physics is going to be a bear....

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
What? Just for that, I think I'll go visit some Rule 34 sites to spite Ken Levine!

Yeah, that's the reason.

Spite.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
So The Internet is now going to be capitalised? The Internet.
I like it.
OT: So The Internet likes breasts. This is new? Look, if you make any character female and attractive and give her a top that shows off the knockers, THEY WILL DRAW ATTENTION.
Seriously, this is something people don't know?

May 29, 2011
Why do you care exactly? She seems like a great character, so what if people stare at her breasts?

I'm all for artistic integrity but this seems like a strange thing to complain about.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Just...raise her top a little bit more. It's not that hard.

Plus I probably would have never given it a great deal of thought if Ken Levine hadn't pointed it out himself so yeah...

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
BioShock Infinite creator Ken Levine wishes the internet would stop staring at Elizabeth's funbags.
THEN MAKE THEM SMALLER. I for one don't care about breast sizes in female characters in games. It's an odd thing that EVERY SINGLE FEMALE CHARACTER IN VIDEO GAMES IS A D CUP OR HIGHER. Seriously. Dead Space: Opening scene, that one token lady on the ship has massive breasts and it was insanely distracting during the beginning cutscene.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
*drools* Boobs

Eh yeah can we really get over it that girls have boobs.. really. Not to mention for action heroes big boobs are definitely in the way. Look at the women sporters.. swimmers, runners and the like... do you see DD's there?

Point is girls having boobs fine.. and a good pair of boobs can be nice to watch. But what matters is what is inside! Good looks only last so long, a good person is something very different.