Kena: Bridge Of Spirits Review Thread

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I know. I've been buying PS4 versions of games I want. But that well is not going to last forever. It'll dry up at some point. Once Ragnarok happens, that is it. The PS4 games will be less and less at a faster rate.
My PS5 should be coming tomorrow and I personally have a big enough backlog from my PS4 and the AA and Indie market are getting stronger so I can wait for AAA to get cheaper down the line. The only exception I made was Ratchet and Clank because Insomniac is Insomniac and knock on wood no fuckshit has happened with them so I will give them.

How metaphorical :D
HA

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I like how within a month we had two throwbacks to old school gaming, first with F.I.S.T. Forced in Shadow Torch and now Kena.

I've been playing Kena for a couple of hours and while it hasn't exactly sunk its teeth in for me yet it's nice and relaxed and kinda a breath of fresh air compared to the usual Sony first-party blockbusters. It gives off heavy Jak and Daxter vibes. I'm a little iffy on the visuals, it just feels a tad too much like the generic Pixar style, and there's a teenie bit of roughness here and there. But the game looks very nice regardless. There's one scene early on in a dark forrest with a thunder storm that kind of knocked my socks off with the lighting.
Been watching the reviews and the Jak and Daxter vibe mostly the the first one really is what drawing me in. Even the way Kena jumps give me Jak vibes with the weird helicopter at the end for the double jump.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Looks like pretty much everybody is falling between 7.5-9 in terms of reviews which is very nice. The game is good, and deserves the praise.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Been watching the reviews and the Jak and Daxter vibe mostly the the first one really is what drawing me in. Even the way Kena jumps give me Jak vibes minus the weird helicopter at the end.
I'm mad because everytime I turn around the Rot's are doing something cute and i have to yell, "SO CUTE!" at them. I'm a grown ass man falling for the cuteness of black blobs!

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Goddamn bosses can be fucking vicious in this game. I heard about it beforehand, but it still kinda took me by surprise. I just beat the Boss right after getting the bow ability and I was getting my ass blown open. It stands in harsh contrast to the more relaxed nature vibe and soft Pixar aesthetic, but I also feel the game doesn't train you enough for when these fights occur. Fighting regular enemies really doesn't push you enough as you can just mash them to death without doing anything other then hit them with your standard attack and maybe sometimes dodging. Then a Boss comes along and suddenly you need to remember moves that the game never bothered to properly train you in. I was getting Sekiro flashbacks for a bit there.

Reactions: Zeraki

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States

Another positive review man my PS5 can't come soon enough. I know its on other platforms but the option is there since I have it now.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
It's such a wonderful experience in a neat little package that doesn't demand much from you in terms of free time and attention span. I miss games that don't try to have the biggest open world and last a 100h. This is a wonderful little game with a lot of replay value, just due to its irresistible charm. I just have the most blissful smile on my face when I play it. I love it.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've been playing more of this game and I have to say that the combat unfortunately kinda sucks.

There's already the problem that the game doesn't properly teach you during combat against regular enemies, meaning you're suddenly forced to learn during Boss fights. Then there's the issue that the controls simply don't function well enough, like the speed of the camera that's too slow even on the highest setting. You also get knocked out of bow mode when you jump, eventhough jumping puts the slo-mo effect on your aim. This means you first need to jump, then aim, and then draw your bow - that's three buttons you need to quickly press and hold in a sequence, when they could've just had the slo-mo kick in as soon as you jumped while aiming.

Then there's the rot action pips that increase the more rot buddies you find, similar to the sand tanks in Prince of Persia or the resolve tanks in Ghost of Tsushima. This would imply that if I have three pips that are full up they'll stay full when I enter battle, right? Wrong! Eventhough you can find fruit for your rot buddies to eat so your pips fill up, they'll just drain the moment enemies show up. And it's not even that certain actions require more than one pip - as soon as you fill up one pip during combat there's no reason to not immediately use it. So why even have multiple pips? Seriously, what's the point when they instantly drain as soon as combat starts - yes combat; the thing you want to have those pips full up for. Outside of combat you can perform rot actions infinitely, so they serve no purpose there. Who the hell thought this was good design?

There's more little issues too, like the lack of threat indicators when you're surrounded by three or more projectile enemies and all you can do is dodge around like a crazy person and hopefully find some breathing room to fire off one or two shots.

This game has some major creases to iron out.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Outside of combat you can perform rot actions infinitely, so they serve no purpose there. Who the hell thought this was good design?
Those rot pips just generate quickly outside of combat. It's basically infinite because you use the rot abilities so spaced out in the open world you don't notice. Technically you are spending pips though.

Combat wise i never had the issue you are talking about. I've beaten four or five bosses and never had any problem with them so I don't know what the game isn't teaching you. Additionally I haven't really used the rot abilties in combat personally, because i've just found it easy to dodge roll, parry, and whack everything away.

I've had more problems being an idiot trying to figure out the puzzles than combat has ever messed with me tbh.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Those rot pips just generate quickly outside of combat. It's basically infinite because you use the rot abilities so spaced out in the open world you don't notice. Technically you are spending pips though.
It doesn't regenerate quickly outside of combat it regenerates instantly, like within a second. There's no point in having multiple pips; if you want to use them they drain as soon as combat starts and no action costs more than one, and if you don't use them they're pointless anyway. It fasely engenders a sense of confidence and improvement. It's a bad design.

Combat wise i never had the issue you are talking about. I've beaten four or five bosses and never had any problem with them so I don't know what the game isn't teaching you. Additionally I haven't really used the rot abilties in combat personally, because i've just found it easy to dodge roll, parry, and whack everything away.
*shrugs* Maybe you're just super badass. I'm playing this on the 3/4 hardest difficulty and the controls don't feel refined enough to deal with how fast certain bosses (right now it's Corrupted Taro) can kill you without giving me a major headache.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
*shrugs* Maybe you're just super badass. I'm playing this on the 3/4 hardest difficulty and the controls don't feel refined enough to deal with how fast certain bosses (right now it's Corrupted Taro) can kill you without giving me a major headache.
I dunno, I guess it's just relative to personal experience. I've got a lot of Souls games under my belt so I'm just used to this kind of thing being much harder than Kena ever gets.

Oh well. Shame that it's frustrating you.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They released a patch that bumps up the camera speed setting, and thank god because the slow-ass camera was making it a pain to keep up with Corrupt Taro during the second phase. Finally got the son of a b*tch.

I just got the gravity bombs and the puzzle platforming they provide is quite fun.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They released a patch that bumps up the camera speed setting, and thank god because the slow-ass camera was making it a pain to keep up with Corrupt Taro during the second phase. Finally got the son of a b*tch.

I just got the gravity bombs and the puzzle platforming they provide is quite fun.
Yo i finally got to him and beat him last night I can see where you was having issues, his fucking grab is bullshit.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yo i finally got to him and beat him last night I can see where you was having issues, his fucking grab is bullshit.
His grab I had little issue jumping over as soon as I realized I could. Though it was hard to recognize when he was going for a grab or a hit, since his hit would just knock me out of the air. It's that move he first unleashes when he enters his second phase that caused me a lot of agony, it is nearly undodgeable, will just cut through your shield, and it's too fast to keep up with. The fact that you have to turn your camera away from the enemy in order to activate healing can also really fuck you over.