Kevin Butler Brings PSN Video Delivery to the Canadese

closetgeekshow

May 10, 2009
All
Wandrecanada said:
On behalf of Canada does the US really believe that Canadians appreciate being made the butt of a giant joke of an advertising campaign? I can understand this is how you market to an American audience but when you're trying to win over a nation, racially insensitive jokes are not really effective...

Sure we laugh at things like South Park Canadians because we understand it's satire and really making fun of the people who believe such nonsense. Seriously this is just Sony's gangsta squirrel crap all over again.
Maybe you should pull the stick out yer butt and develop some humility

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
closetgeekshow said:
All
Wandrecanada said:
On behalf of Canada does the US really believe that Canadians appreciate being made the butt of a giant joke of an advertising campaign? I can understand this is how you market to an American audience but when you're trying to win over a nation, racially insensitive jokes are not really effective...

Sure we laugh at things like South Park Canadians because we understand it's satire and really making fun of the people who believe such nonsense. Seriously this is just Sony's gangsta squirrel crap all over again.
To everyone criticizing my use of the "On behalf of Canada" it was a riff off the original post. For some reason Andy Chalk's use of this language gets a pass where I somehow have a stick up my ass for saying it.

As for the rest of people's criticism I'm happy that you're satisfied to be a nation of racist jokes to Americans to the point that you appreciate it's use as a marketing tool. I'm sure Black Americans or Latin Americans can appreciate my argument on being insulted by the racist marketing machine that is Sony America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoY3LRGscmQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHd4UysK9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcHCyAWlMIA

Why were those commercials panned for depicting ethnic American stereotypes and yet making light of Canadian stereotypes is ok? Are we at the point where even Canadians consider racial stereotypes of themselves acceptable, especially when it's targeting us?

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
Wandrecanada said:
closetgeekshow said:
All
Wandrecanada said:

To everyone criticizing my use of the "On behalf of Canada" it was a riff off the original post. For some reason Andy Chalk's use of this language gets a pass where I somehow have a stick up my ass for saying it.

As for the rest of people's criticism I'm happy that you're satisfied to be a nation of racist jokes to Americans to the point that you appreciate it's use as a marketing tool. I'm sure Black Americans or Latin Americans can appreciate my argument on being insulted by the racist marketing machine that is Sony America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoY3LRGscmQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHd4UysK9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcHCyAWlMIA

Why were those commercials panned for depicting ethnic American stereotypes and yet making light of Canadian stereotypes is ok? Are we at the point where even Canadians consider racial stereotypes of themselves acceptable, especially when it's targeting us?
The joke is about americans, not canadians. The joke is essentially Americans marketing to Canadians and knowing nothing outside the stereotypes. Not to mention no leway was given because those three commercials were more confusing than funny.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wandrecanada said:
For some reason Andy Chalk's use of this language gets a pass where I somehow have a stick up my ass for saying it.
Because I'm making a joke, probably. I do that now and then, you know.

I'm really surprised at how seriously some people are taking this. Most of the comedy from these old tropes are due precisely to the fact that they are old tropes. And it's Kevin Butler! Honestly, as Canadians we should be thankful that we're getting any attention at all, but to get a nod from the KB himself? Damn, son. That's big time.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
dnose said:
AC10 said:
Being Canadian I love a good Canada joke... but not when Americans make them.
I also don't really like Kevin Butler. I don't think his ads are that funny or clever, yet everyone worships him like he's a legendary comedian instead of a formulated ad salesman devised to gain Sony more sales and money.
You are pretty much alone in that opinion. Kevin Butler is hilarious and this ad is hilarious. If you can't laugh at yourself and jokes about yourself then you have no right to laugh at anyone else.

The only problem with this ad coming out now is that I've been able to get into the video section of the PSN for months. I guess that the fact that no one in Canada was using it prompted them to tell people that it was available now. Way to be on the ball, Sony! Either way though, it's a good service and I'm glad it's finally accessible.
So not being able to laugh at Kevin Butler means I can't laugh at myself? These statements do not logically coincide with one another. 95% of Canadian stand up acts have like 20-50% of their set dedicated to making fun of Canada and I think it's hilarious because it's observational. In this ad the "humor" is basically one of two things
1) Kevin Butler being himself, which I've already stated I don't really like.
2) Going "Haha Canada, you like pancakes, it snows a lot there and you're not America lol".

Neither of these are funny to me and you really have no business telling me what I can and can't enjoy.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Wandrecanada said:
For some reason Andy Chalk's use of this language gets a pass where I somehow have a stick up my ass for saying it.

I'm really surprised at how seriously some people are taking this. Most of the comedy from these old tropes are due precisely to the fact that they are old tropes. And it's Kevin Butler! Honestly, as Canadians we should be thankful that we're getting any attention at all, but to get a nod from the KB himself? Damn, son. That's big time.
Look I get that your post was a jest in fun but you have to remember that Kevin Butler did not release this ad himself out of his own heart and head. This is a marketing campaign designed by a company with a checkered past when it comes to bigotry in marketing. KB can be referential all he wants so long as he keeps it at home. I'm only trying to point out that this type of advertising is straight up racism.

Sense of humor aside this is not a Canadian marketing to a Canadian. This is someone talking down us from a position of privilege. It's no longer cool or funny. You can't tell me that Sony of America can't come up with anything better than putting every racial stereotype they can think of for Canada into an advertisement designed to entice Canadians. Even I don't give them that little credit. They made the PS2 after all.

Folks, this is not a small one time problem. This is Sony doing the wrong thing yet again. There is no way you will ever win this argument by saying, "It's a joke so it's ok." We've moved beyond that discussion years ago and it lost. Bottom line here; Don't advertise using racism.

PS: Andy, dude... I can't believe you said we should be thankful for a nod from Kevin Butler. We've got freaking Colin Mochrie! We've had a better Kevin Butler for decades!

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I just hope we don't get too confused by all that American-language programming.
As long as they dub it over to include the extra u's and such we should be ok. The snow-less landscapes might be confusing though...

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Baby Tea said:
AC10 said:
Oh come on.
Americans can't poke lightly at Canada in an ad like this, but Canada can air a TV skit called 'Talking to Americans'? That's a pretty serious double standard. Especially since I'm more then sure that Americans could easily air a 'Talking to Canadians' TV skit and get similar results.

It's just tongue in cheek humor!
People really need to look less into it, and just enjoy the chuckle-worthy ad campaign.
This ad was not made for Americans so your argument fails. The show you're looking for in Canada is hosted by Rick Mercer and the skit was done over a number of different shows he co starred in. It was also designed to be showed to Canadians and Rick did in fact speak directly to Americans. This was not hearsay or speculation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZpjtagJ-0w

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Wandrecanada said:
Baby Tea said:
Americans can't poke lightly at Canada in an ad like this, but Canada can air a TV skit called 'Talking to Americans'? That's a pretty serious double standard. Especially since I'm more then sure that Americans could easily air a 'Talking to Canadians' TV skit and get similar results.

People really need to look less into it, and just enjoy the chuckle-worthy ad campaign.
This ad was not made for Americans so your argument fails. The show you're looking for in Canada is hosted by Rick Mercer and the skit was done over a number of different shows he co starred in. It was also designed to be showed to Canadians and Rick did in fact speak directly to Americans. This was not hearsay or speculation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZpjtagJ-0w
Hi there! I'm 'the point'!
Oh, shucks. You must have missed me.

The issue isn't the target audience. And I know exactly what show it was from, it's just irrelevant.
The issue also isn't that it's hearsay or speculation.
So thanks for beating the crap out of that straw-man.

The issue is that it's one country 'making fun' of another.
Canada does it all the time with Americans. I hear it and see it all over the place.
But here, when it's done with tongue firmly planted in cheek, it's bad because the Americans did it?

To put it simply: That's silly.
If my fellow Canadians feel they can dish it out, then they've got be be ready to take it back.
Especially when it's done in the most playful, non-malicious way like this ad campaign.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Hehehehe... that was awesome! Thank you Kevin Butler, you are a great man!

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
Wandrecanada said:
Andy Chalk said:
Wandrecanada said:

Look I get that your post was a jest in fun but you have to remember that Kevin Butler did not release this ad himself out of his own heart and head. This is a marketing campaign designed by a company with a checkered past when it comes to bigotry in marketing. KB can be referential all he wants so long as he keeps it at home. I'm only trying to point out that this type of advertising is straight up racism.

Sense of humor aside this is not a Canadian marketing to a Canadian. This is someone talking down us from a position of privilege. It's no longer cool or funny. You can't tell me that Sony of America can't come up with anything better than putting every racial stereotype they can think of for Canada into an advertisement designed to entice Canadians. Even I don't give them that little credit. They made the PS2 after all.

Folks, this is not a small one time problem. This is Sony doing the wrong thing yet again. There is no way you will ever win this argument by saying, "It's a joke so it's ok." We've moved beyond that discussion years ago and it lost. Bottom line here; Don't advertise using racism.

PS: Andy, dude... I can't believe you said we should be thankful for a nod from Kevin Butler. We've got freaking Colin Mochrie! We've had a better Kevin Butler for decades!
First - and I really do need to shout this - "CANADIAN" IS NOT A #$%^ RACE! Race has to do with a persons *ethnic* background and (generally) skin color. Not what country they were born in. for instance, I know two South Africans, but they are not of the same race. They *are* of the same nationality. Bit of a difference.

Second, maple syrup and hockey sticks in an ad about Canada (esp. in jest) are like seeing lederhosen in something about Germany, blondes in reference to Sweden and vodka with regards to Russia. Or, if we're talking about the US, the "typical" loud, obnoxious idiot (I know, y'all are not. You're generally good neighbors.)

Last, odds are good that Sony outsources ads and rubber-stamps them for broadcast. There are probably about a dozen people who see ads at Sony in a pre-release state, and they're probably not paying attention, or not about to argue with the boss who loves the ad.

/Yep, still a funny ad.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Tron-tonian said:
First - and I really do need to shout this - "CANADIAN" IS NOT A #$%^ RACE! Race has to do with a persons *ethnic* background and (generally) skin color. Not what country they were born in. for instance, I know two South Africans, but they are not of the same race. They *are* of the same nationality. Bit of a difference.

Second, maple syrup and hockey sticks in an ad about Canada (esp. in jest) are like seeing lederhosen in something about Germany, blondes in reference to Sweden and vodka with regards to Russia. Or, if we're talking about the US, the "typical" loud, obnoxious idiot (I know, y'all are not. You're generally good neighbors.)

Last, odds are good that Sony outsources ads and rubber-stamps them for broadcast. There are probably about a dozen people who see ads at Sony in a pre-release state, and they're probably not paying attention, or not about to argue with the boss who loves the ad.

/Yep, still a funny ad.
To quote the United Nations definition:

"the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life."

See Wikipedia's article on racism. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism]

Your argument fails to prove this is not considered racism. Also Sony is a publicly traded international company. If they put out a racist ad campaign they are responsible and indeed should be responsible for anything they release.

/Yep you're still laughing at racism

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
Bwa ha ha! Funny!

For those non-Canadese who are offended on our behalf, thank you, but not necessary. I've consulted all three people in my town, and we all find it funny. George couldn't be reached, as the string-telephone froze, and he's on his trapline anyways.

Also, as a Canadese, I give this commerical three pancakes!

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
Baby Tea said:
AC10 said:
Oh come on.

Actually someone tried. It didn't work out.

Their targets kept on saying, "Hey man, stop trying to imitate Rick Mercer." Of course, they didn't know who Rick Mercer was.

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
Wandrecanada said:
To quote the United Nations definition:

"the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life."

See Wikipedia's article on racism. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism]

Your argument fails to prove this is not considered racism. Also Sony is a publicly traded international company. If they put out a racist ad campaign they are responsible and indeed should be responsible for anything they release.

/Yep you're still laughing at racism
Ok, then by all means, demonstrate how we Canadians are being excluded, restricted etc from something. What basic human right or political freedom has Kevin Butler deprived me of?

Oh. Right. Not one.

And, let's go past the UN definition and go straight to the dictionary: "the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others" (dictionary.com). Not "nation of origin", but "race".

Tearing this definition down, and watching the ad, we should ask the following:
1. Do we as Canadians "have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors"? Likely not due to heredity, but let's be fast and loose and say there are things that make us Canadian. Like Maple Syrup. And hockey.

2. Does the ad imply that we are not superior? I'd say no. It certainly implies that Kevin Butler is ignorant - but isn't that implying that *gasp* ALL Americans are ignorant isolationists? See, it's Butler's over-the-top stereotyping of Canadians that makes it funny - because both Canadians AND Americans know that everything he is prattling on about is NOT the case. Unless you're a weak-minded, easily led fool who thinks what the magic box tells them to think, I guess...