Kevin Butler Brings PSN Video Delivery to the Canadese

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Kevin Butler Brings PSN Video Delivery to the Canadese

Sony Vice President of Yes We Canada Kevin Butler is advising Canadese people everywhere to hold on to their mustaches, because the PlayStation Network Video Delivery Service is now available in the Great White North.

The Video Delivery Service on PSN lets PS3 owners download full-length movies, television shows and even original programming, much of it in high definition, but while it's been out in the United States since mid-2008 and appeared in various European countries in 2009, those of us who make our homes in the land of the Mother Maple Tree have had to do without. Until now!

Today, the one and only Kevin Butler crossed one more item off the list of 66 things he wants to accomplish during his first year as PlayStation VP, item 35 to be precise: "Bring the Video Delivery Service to PlayStation Network in Canada." It was a tough task, hampered by the Metric system and weird currency, but the job is done and the PS3 is now, in Butler's words, the most useful thing in Canadian households next to the snow shovel.

On behalf of all Canadians, I'd like to say thanks, Kev. You're the greatest! I just hope we don't get too confused by all that American-language programming.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Good news for Canada! Though... you know... this news doesn't actually affect little English me in any way, shape or form whatsoever :p

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Alright that was hilarious, but I have to ask him something as a Canadian, where's the eh in all that; I was hoping that would be the stinger

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Wait... Defeat Zeus? Time Travel? Supercar? Bring Sexy Back? Housetrain Ratchet? Perfect Flan Recipe?

Where are these videos and how many organs must I offer to Butler (VP of PS3 Occult Rituals) to get them?

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
On behalf of Canada does the US really believe that Canadians appreciate being made the butt of a giant joke of an advertising campaign? I can understand this is how you market to an American audience but when you're trying to win over a nation, racially insensitive jokes are not really effective...

Sure we laugh at things like South Park Canadians because we understand it's satire and really making fun of the people who believe such nonsense. Seriously this is just Sony's gangsta squirrel crap all over again.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Wandrecanada said:
On behalf of Canada does the US really believe that Canadians appreciate being made the butt of a giant joke of an advertising campaign? I can understand this is how you market to an American audience but when you're trying to win over a nation, racially insensitive jokes are not really effective...

Sure we laugh at things like South Park Canadians because we understand it's satire and really making fun of the people who believe such nonsense. Seriously this is just Sony's gangsta squirrel crap all over again.
Well, considering all the other Canadians in this thread who seem to have gotten some laughs out of it, I'd say it has been generally effective. Furthermore, I'd venture a statement that you are being oversensitive to some blatant, over-the-top exaggeration of every silly stereotype Sony could think of.

As a minor note, are you seriously claiming to speak for the entirety of Canada, and accusing the entirety of the US? I genuinely thought you must be joking at first because of how ridiculous that is.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
As I Canadian, I found it hilarious, as stereotypical as it was. These ads actually make me want a PS3.

Apr 28, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
O.O

HE HAS ACCOMPLISHED TIME TRAVEL?
Yep.

OT: Well good for Canadians I guess. I never used the stuff, since I prefer just renting videos.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
But where do you pour the syrup in to activate the system? Can't have no operational machinery without no syrup, eyh?

Aboot.

OT: Great for Canadianese, though I personally don't use the video services, can't be bothered to. Still great news.

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
(you) (the joke)

Yes, I'm Canadian. I got the humor.

And, for the folks out there saying this is "racist" - can you tell me when a Canadian "race" appeared? I ask, because it may come as a shock to my friends of color (that'd be red, black, yellow and brown, respectively) that they are of the Canadian "race" now.

I believe the word you're looking for is "nationalist". "Narrow-minded" would work.

Me, I'm gonna go with "#$%&-ing funny".

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
First off being Canadian makes you the member of a specificity nation not the member of a specific race. So this isn't racism. Culturally insensitive maybe, but not racism.

Second, maybe it hasn't been gleaned from his other commercials, but Kevin Butler is a moron, as well as kind of a dick. I see no difference between this and the South Park situation that was mentioned. All the commercial is demonstrating is that Kevin Butler is an even bigger dick and 30 times more moronic then previously shown.

Wilcroft

Oct 31, 2008
Wandrecanada said:

As a Canadian, as can say that most Canadians will find this hilarious. Canadian humour can be self-referential at times (See Bob & Doug McKenzie [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_and_Doug_McKenzie]), often moreso than American counterparts.

The poke about the bird as president? Amazing.