KH1.5 Unknown Boss fight

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
I've been stuck on this boss for about two days now and it's all because of his roulette move, it is quite literally the only move he has ever killed me with. So are there any ways to stop him from using that attack or to make it more manageable, I mean I've beaten the move four time in one fight only for him to get me with it on the fifth which seems to be pretty unfair.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
You can hit him right before he does the animation it will cancel out him doing the roulette move. Just be lucky you aren't playing the PS2 version. They nerfed the Unknown in 1.5 HD like crazy when compared to the PS2 version, especially with the roulette move.

Other things that help are to have Donald and Goofy have Mega-Potions, and that they only use potions in Emergencies. Don't mash the triangle button too, and dodge roll away from the Unknown until you can release the move.
What level and Keyblade are you using? Having a long reaching Keyblade helps and having Slap Shot with counter attack can mess with his beam blades.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Using divine rose as the speed makes it easier to counter his attacks and get a few hits in, Level is 70 and I've got 60% lightning resistance as well. Got both Slap shot and counter active.
Might just be easy mode that you can cancel it on as far as I can tell the move is impossible to cancel or counter as I've had it hit me in the middle of a combo right after I'd hit him.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Spacewolf said:
Using divine rose as the speed makes it easier to counter his attacks and get a few hits in, Level is 70 and I've got 60% lightning resistance as well. Got both Slap shot and counter active.
Might just be easy mode that you can cancel it on as far as I can tell the move is impossible to cancel or counter as I've had it hit me in the middle of a combo right after I'd hit him.
No, it's not just easy mode since I've LPed the game twice and fought him on the PS2 and HD versions on Final Mix Proud. I was level 74 as well on the PS2 version.
Anyway, while Rumbling Rose has good speed, it has virtually no reach which is why you're probably not cancelling it in time. Switch to a regular size Keyblade or use one with a longer reach. Also, equip Gravity Impact since Gravity momentarily stuns him and gets you tech points.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Hmm, pretty close to getting Ultima weapon so I'll use that next time and play through the Time trials as well then to get the gravity ability. Should I keep Zantetsuken equipped or will that interfere with Gravity Impact?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Spacewolf said:
Hmm, pretty close to getting Ultima weapon so I'll use that next time and play through the Time trials as well then to get the gravity ability. Should I keep Zantetsuken equipped or will that interfere with Gravity Impact?
Eh, you can keep Zantetsukan if you want, I personally don't use it though because there is more of a chance for you to get Gravity Impact off if you have less finishing combo abilities. I did use the Ultima Weapon during both fights with the Unknown though, mainly for the reach and magic it gives you. Donald tends to cast Graviga a lot during my battles with him from what I noticed.

Again though, have Donald and Goofy loaded with Mega-Potions because it will help, and you should have your inventory entirely filled with Elixers. Have MP Gift on Goofy, along with MP Rage and Haste. Have Hyper Healing on both support characters as well. Have Leaf Bracer (Leaf Veil for you I believe) and only cast Curaga when necessary. Having Leaf Bracer on gives you an invincibility frame as well. I wish I could post my video showing you how I did both boss battles, but that'd count as self-advertising. :/

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Well, I wish I could be more helpful, but I was level 100 when I went and fought him for real. I fought him once when I was at eighty or so and he stomped me. Since I am going for a platinum on the game, I just decided I'd come back when I was max level. That time, I stomped him. So if all else fails, I guess you can do that and then just go crazy. Just keep an eye on your health and you should be fine. I don't know if you want to wait that long to fight him though.

zalithar

Apr 22, 2013
I beat him on proud mode with some difficulty using the oathkeeper. the first thing I would reccomend is being highly aggresive, as this reduces his chances of using that one move. While I fought him I also found that using gravity damage on him made it likely that he would follow up with the roullette move; so using gravity sparingly can be very helpful or doom your attempt.

And the last tip I have is: USE THE TINKERBELL SUMMON! Do not forget this. I sure as hell did, and reggretted it after remembering what the summon does. getting all of your health back when you should have died is really helpful.

EDIT: oh and aero seems to have wierd results when he puts up a barrier. I don't know exactly what was happening but he became insanely aggressive at times (running through the barrier to slash at you before he even finished putting it up). So be weary about that.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Came back with Ultima at level 76 and beat him second try. So yea long blades do help quite abit

Now it's time for Phantom.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Spacewolf said:
Came back with Ultima at level 76 and beat him second try. So yea long blades do help quite abit

Now it's time for Phantom.
Phantom isn't really difficult, it's just tedious. Have Goofy with you for MP Gift, and customize Peter Pan so that he doesn't use much magic. Also give them ethers to use on you. And don't forget to constantly cast Stop on the Clock so that Doom doesn't get off.

The main annoyance with Phantom I think is actually trying to hit him, and in my LP on HD 1.5 Phantom took me the longest to do because of simply trying to hit him. It took be about 9 minutes because of trying to hit him, and for that I don't like the Phantom. XD

Congrats on the Unknown's defeat as well.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Yea Phantom went down easier than a Neo Shadow, didn't even get past 11 on Pan. All that's left now is Sepi who from what I've heard is the toughest.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Spacewolf said:
Yea Phantom went down easier than a Neo Shadow, didn't even get past 11 on Pan. All that's left now is Sepi who from what I've heard is the toughest.
Sephiroth is the strongest enemy in Kingdom Hearts 1, and Final Mix, and he's also one of the most difficult Super Bosses in the Kingdom Hearts series in general. For that one, have a long reaching Keyblade, in this case Ultima, have Guard and Slap Shot, use the invincibility frame that Leaf Bracer gives you for Curaga. As for equipment, make sure you have the Ribbon as Sephiroth's attacks are all Dark-based and the Ribbon reduces Dark Damage by 80%. Have Sora equipped fully with Elixers and only use them in emergencies. Ability wise, Strike Raid provides Sora with an invincibility frame he can use, and have MP Haste and Rage equipped as well.

The beginning of the battle when you attack Sephiroth it looks like you're not doing damage, but you are and it's just a shield he has, and after a while you'll start damaging him. His most devastating attack is Heartless Angel. He'll telegraph that attack, but don't get caught by it. You can cancel it out by hitting him at least once. What Heartless Angel does is it reduces you HP to 1 and gets rid of all your MP. He usually then teleports and attacks you after that.

Good luck with that evil one, and when you beat him leave the World through the Colosseum door and not by boarding the Gummi Ship from the save point because you'll miss the added cutscenes.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
And Sepi went down on the 5th try, used dodge roll rather than block so that I could always get close enough to use strike raid on him when he tried to use Heartless Angel and the one time he managed to get it off the invincibility effect allowed me to easily get an elixir down.

Guess it's just loose ends now, thanks for the help.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I actually beat him around level 85. I didn't have the ultimate weapon, I used the rose keyblade, and I just dodged alot and used guard. Personally, it wasn't that bad, I just had a shit ton of patients. I also had Donald as the healer of the group.