Kickstarter Brings "The Godfather of Anime's" Work Westward

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Kickstarter Brings "The Godfather of Anime's" Work Westward

Triton is one of several lesser-known mangas by Osamu Tezuka coming to the West thanks to crowd funding.

While the work of legendary mangaka, Osamu Tezuka's, can be found in most bookstores worth their salt, only a fraction of the "godfather of anime's" work has made it to the West. In June, North American publisher, Digital Manga, started a Kickstarter campaign [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/publish-osamu-tezukas-unico-in-english-in-full-col] to publish some of Tezuka's less-known work in the US. The project was originally asking for US$20,500 to publish another manga by Tezuka, Unico. At the time of writing, the total amount pledged stands at $48,233, meaning Digital Manga will also be publishing two other mangas, Atomcat and Triton of The Sea.

Unico will be published in a single, full-color volume, Atomcat in a single paperback volume and Triton in two separate volumes costing $19.95 each.

Triton, the tale of a young boy living in modern Japan who discovers he's the last survivor of the destruction of Atlantis, originally ran in the Sankei Shimbun newspaper from 1969 to 1971. Unico is about a baby unicorn that makes people light-hearted and happy, and Atomcat was a spin-off from Tezuka's ever-popular Astroboy series.

This isn't the first time Digital Manga has used Kickstarter to fund western releases of Tezuka's work. In January, the publisher successfully funded a release of Barbara, and last year it used the service to fund a reprinting of Swallowing the Earth.

Source: ANN [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-21/digital-manga-reaches-funding-goal-for-tezuka-triton]

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Just in time to get in on this, expiring in just over half an hour!

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
This article doesn't take into account that this anime was shown in Greece! We even had a Greek dub of it. I grew up watching it. XD

Oh and Triton lives in an old-style fishing village, it's not medieval but it's not really modern either. It's like 40s/50s Japan.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010

It's great to hear that someone out there is willing to put the time, effort, and money into preserving the classics for a new generation.

While you can probably find fan translations online, there's just SOMETHING about having a physical copy that makes it all the better.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Grey Carter said:
"godfather of anime's"
The Japanese actually call him "The God of Comics", placing him above "King of Comics" Shotaro Ishinomori and "Father of Comics" Go Nagai.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Dreiko said:
This article doesn't take into account that this anime was shown in Greece! We even had a Greek dub of it. I grew up watching it. XD
This article also does not take into account the highly illegal version of the first two Unico movies that Disney use to show until the mid 90s because it does not have to. The purpose of this piece is to drum up interest in these three titles. It has less of an impact if you say, "except where it was shown, it was never released to the West."

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
malestrithe said:
Dreiko said:
This article also does not take into account the highly illegal version of the first two Unico movies that Disney use to show until the mid 90s because it does not have to. The purpose of this piece is to drum up interest in these three titles. It has less of an impact if you say, "except where it was shown, it was never released to the West."
I vaguely recall an anime series, but I don't think the manga has made it to the west (officially).

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
A great cause, I'd love to buy each of these once they're published. We just need someone to do the same thing for Japanese video games like Berserk etc. now. That'd be awesome.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Grey Carter said:
malestrithe said:
Dreiko said:
I vaguely recall an anime series, but I don't think the manga has made it to the west (officially).
I don't know if Unico has ever been an anime. I wrote about the start of the kickstarter campaign for a different site. I would link it, but I'm still not a polished reporter yet.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Sober Thal said:
Unico?!

Seriously???!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all you MLP fans, this is where your hack writers got their inspiration for MLP. They failed miserably to recapture the magic that was Unico obviously, but you should know your roots : P

Everyone should buy this for (themselves) the children in their life.

My childhood can finally be complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"a song of meow meow meow!!!!!"

EDIT: No more fundraiser. They hit their goal over two hours ago, and don't want to fleece the public like most beggars. Good for them. I can't wait to buy this for my niece and nephew.
Wow, and people call us agressive. Also opinions. Also this wasn't the inspiration for MLP, it shares similarities.

OT: I've never liked anime and never will, mainly because I'd rather watch something made for my country and not poorly dubbed, I also absolutely hate the art style. But I do like it when things like this start, and the people running the Kickstarter seem like nice guys.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
Sober Thal said:
Unico?!

Seriously???!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all you MLP fans, this is where your hack writers got their inspiration for MLP. They failed miserably to recapture the magic that was Unico obviously, but you should know your roots : P

Everyone should buy this for (themselves) the children in their life.

My childhood can finally be complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"a song of meow meow meow!!!!!"

EDIT: No more fundraiser. They hit their goal over two hours ago, and don't want to fleece the public like most beggars. Good for them. I can't wait to buy this for my niece and nephew.
Wow, and people call us agressive. Also opinions. Also this wasn't the inspiration for MLP, it shares similarities.

OT: I've never liked anime and never will, mainly because I'd rather watch something made for my country and not poorly dubbed, I also absolutely hate the art style. But I do like it when things like this start, and the people running the Kickstarter seem like nice guys.

You judge art based on nationalistic criteria? That's...odd. :p

Oh and dubs indeed suck, just watch it sub-titled.