Kickstarter Funds Skyrim Composer's Next Album In Mere Hours

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Kickstarter Funds Skyrim Composer's Next Album In Mere Hours

Jeremy Soule, the composer behind the epic Skyrim score, has turned to Kickstarter to fund his next album with unexpected success.

When you recall the musical accompaniment found in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, what descriptors come to mind? Epic? Sweeping? Grandiose? All of those are perfectly apt, and that's exactly why composer Jeremy Soule is such an important name in the field of videogame music. His work on Skyrim was arguably the best videogame score to emerge in years, and it easily rivals even the top names in Hollywood. Unless you inexplicably disagree with everything I've just typed, there's good reason to hope that Soule will continue his efforts.

Unfortunately, all creative enterprises require cash to get things off the ground. Recording a new album is no exception. Thus, Soule turned to Kickstarter, hoping to trade on the popularity of his Skyrim work to pull in the money necessary to fund his next album.

Appropriately dubbed, Soule Symphony No. 1, The Northerner, Soule's latest work appears to continue his affection for high fantasy and the epic music that best accompanies it, while also employing tropes normally reserved for classical music. "This symphonic work is planned to feature live players and singers in addition to the innovative technologies for which Jeremy has become known," the Kickstarter description claims.

In terms of Kickstarter projects, Soule wasn't seeking much money. His goal was a mere $10,000, which has already been surpassed in the scant few hours the Kickstarter drive has been active. As of this moment his total stands at $12,555. Great news, right? Congratulations to Mr. Soule for reaching his monetary goal so quickly. That said, there are still 30 days left on the clock, and the Kickstarter page offers no information on what Soule might do with the excess money. Perhaps he'll fund a second album, or maybe he'll hire an artist to create a wicked sweet lenticular cover for Soule Symphony No. 1. We've reached out to the artist to ask about his plans for the funds, but have yet to hear back. We'd assume he's currently, understandably overwhelmed by the outpouring of support.

Until Soule offers official commentary on what he plans to do with the extra cash, we'd suggest holding off on donating to the Kickstarter drive. There's not much point in handing over your money if it's just going to be refunded to you by a gracious musician, is there? Besides, you look a little thin. You should eat more. Go buy a hamburger.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/499808045/from-the-composer-of-skyrim-soule-symphony-no-1]

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
You should eat more. Go buy a hamburger.
But... but I'm a vegetarian. Besides, it'd more than likely be a horse-burger over here.

OT: I have a signed copy of Jeremy Soule's Skyrim soundtrack and it's one of my favourite and most listened to OSTs. I'm only sorry I didn't hear about this sooner so I could be a part of the funding. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this all the same. It'll be nice to hear how he interprets fantasy without the constraints of a consistent style.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Jeremy Soule is a total baller. I may just buy it when it comes out though considering he's already achieved his goal.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
"Until Soule offers official commentary on what he plans to do with the extra cash," I'd suggest throwing as much money as you possibly can at this amazingly talented artist and his kickstarter drive. Because who knows what impossible things the man could accomplish if he had one hundred thousand dollars instead of just ten.

Besides... he's worth a helluva lot more than ten grand and anyone who's played a game with his music as the soundtrack knows it.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I noticed the only rewards are CD's, no digital downloads. Does that mean he gives that part away for free? I was going to make a pledge if I could get a digital copy of the album but don't need a CD.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
His work on Skyrim was arguably the best videogame score to emerge in years, and it easily rivals even the top names in Hollywood.
Yeah, I have to disagree with you on the first part. As awesome as the Skyrim soundtrack is, it got nothing on Guild Wars 2 when it comes to beauty, epicness and range.

You're completely correct with it blowing most of the Hollywood productions out of the water.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I mainly knew him as the guy behind the Elder Scrolls soundtracks, but checking out his wiki page, he is apparently the guy behind every western game with a good soundtrack ever made, ever. Well, damn.

I'm glad that people that are more knowledgeable than me are funding his project so generously. In my opinion, if that Woman-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named got over a hundred thousand, I hope this guy gets a million, and then spends it on hookers and blow. He deserves it.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Jeremy Soule Kickstarter? No need to tell me twice.

RandV80 said:
I noticed the only rewards are CD's, no digital downloads. Does that mean he gives that part away for free? I was going to make a pledge if I could get a digital copy of the album but don't need a CD.
1. Get CD.
2. Rip CD.
3. Give CD to someone else.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
God yes. Looking very much forward to this Album. I've loved his work on The Elder Scrolls and Guild Wars and I'm sure I'll love his stuff here as well.

Atlys

is best pony
Mar 3, 2011
He has an FAQ on his kickstarter now that answers the question of what he would do with all of the money.

"Hey, so you're way over your goal? What are you going to do with the extra money?"

"Good question! My original plan was to rely more heavily on the computers and digital instruments while I would "sweeten" important parts of the scores with live singers and musicians. This is exactly how I made the score for Skyrim. However, as we raise more money, I'm able to replace digital elements with real acoustic performances.

To fully replace all digital instruments with live performances, I would have to hire somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 musicians and 50 singers. Not including costs such as cartage, taxes, payroll fees, music prep and venue rental, this can come out to about $10K per hour in a city like London or LA. Of course, arguments can be made to record in places like Russia or China where costs can be less. As a producer, I will equally weigh the quality of the venue, recording technology, musicianship and business conditions in my process to arrive at the ideal scenario for this recording.

Certainly, it is a complex process to plan a live recording. It becomes easier once I know what my resources are. In any case, I will use my experience to deliver exactly the best recording possible at our budget." - Jeremy Soule

I'm happy the project has so many backers. I am a big fan of his video game compositions. If the money keeps pouring in though he is going to have a rough time signing all of those CDs.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Mechalynx said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
His work on Skyrim was arguably the best videogame score to emerge in years, and it easily rivals even the top names in Hollywood.
Yeah, I have to disagree with you on the first part. As awesome as the Skyrim soundtrack is, it got nothing on Guild Wars 2 when it comes to beauty, epicness and range.

You're completely correct with it blowing most of the Hollywood productions out of the water.
i honestly found the skyrim soundtrack to be very mediocre. most of the time i didnt even notice it. i expected much more from someone who has as much experience with fantasy soundtracks as he does