Kickstarter Video Project Attracts Misogynist Horde

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Kickstarter Video Project Attracts Misogynist Horde

The YouTube community's response to the Tropes Vs Women Kickstarter project has been enthusiastically vile.

"so you're a bolshevik feminist jewess that hates White people and does website design for Tim Wise extremist platform and you expect to be taken seriously when you're "critique-ing" video games," writes charming YouTube user, Haploguy. [http://www.youtube.com/user/haploguy]

"fucking ovendodger," he adds.

That comment is one of hundreds, most of which share the same tone, posted in response to a YouTube video [http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=l8I0Wy58adM] plugging Anita Sarkeesian's Tropes Vs Women Kickstarter project [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games]. The project, which has thus far exceeded its $6,000 goal by a whopping $43,000, promises to "explore, analyze and deconstruct some of the most common tropes and stereotypes of female characters in games" - not a popular subject, if the comments are anything to go by. In just two hours, the video attracted some 100+ comments, the vast majority of which were negative if not outright hateful. Here's a few of the highlights, all of which come with a hefty dose of [sic].

"Would be better if she filmed this in the kitchen," quips max 547490.

"She is a JEW," 614streets adds helpfully.

"ask money for making a fucking vlog? And you made it in a way that women should pledge for not being dominated by man. Smart and evil plan. You are the reason why womens are the inferior gender for the whole history of mankind," points out Armisael.

"fuck you feminist fucks you already have equality. Infact yo have better shit than most males, be glad what you got *****. Also if you want equality, we talk to men like that too, so fuck off faggo.. I mean lesbian," says Arto572.

">video games are about doing hard work, thus men are a better choice you just went full retard," added ToxicHedgie.

"1:09 This controller looks so unused. I doubt that she is a real gamer. She just looked for a niche where she can distinguish herself with her feminist propaganda," is Tig3r0's expert opinion.

"Fucking downvoted and flagged for terrorism. Dumb ass nazi ****," adds BoxxyizQueen.
On top of those beauties, there's the usual threats of violence and rape, as well as organized efforts to have Sarkeesian's YouTube videos flagged as terrorism and her Kickstarter project defunded. YouTube comments are, by and large, where the lowest common denominator goes to slum it for a while, so people posting awful things is hardly unusual. What is unusual, is the sheer depth of hatred on display. If the aim of the outrage was to prove that the gaming community doesn't have a lingering problem with women, well ... good job, guys.

Source: Feminist Frequency [http://www.feministfrequency.com/2012/06/harassment-misogyny-and-silencing-on-youtube/]

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Edit: Kay guys, no-one else can bring anything new the table in telling me what the video does wrong. For the love of all the gods, stop quoting me, I simply don't care any more, you aren't adding anything.

Edit: Okay, you can see the video in someone's quote, quote someone else about it.

Edit 2: Just to clarify - this is absolutely unacceptable behaviour, and it sickens me to be reminded that there are still people like this in this volume. And I do agree with the creators in the view that games need better female characters. I just think they're going about it the wrong way - as does the video's creator.

I'm also aware now that I missed the tree for the forest here - focussing on the fact that this isn't the only reason why people might disagree with the kickstarter, and completely neglecting the point of the article, namely the misogynist horde. My bad. And in that, I was probably a bit harsh on my comment towards Mr Carter. My bad about that too.

Okay? Not misogynistic, just think there are far better ways to go about fixing this issue rather than the way this kickstarter is going about it. And I do hope those better ways come to light sooner rather than later.

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
It's obvious that someone in the Stormfront community linked this video and now there all acting like big men teaming up on someone who thinks differently then themselves on the internet... Real tuff guys on there.

Also thanks to Bob for supporting Tropes vs. Women.

CentralScrtnzr

May 2, 2011
I can't imagine the wisdom of having death-threats and otherwise just outright hateful vitriol associated with one's youtube account. It's not like the FBI can't trace that activity to your person. It's not like such activity won't be frowned upon if exposed to family and friends.

And, even if spoken without intent, sending a death-threat is a crime; you can be jailed. You should be jailed.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
I don't know how to respond to this.

I mean, I know at this point I should be used to this level of stupidity, but really, I can't see how a functioning human being displays this level of bullshit. I mean, really, what the fuck?

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
Buretsu said:
I'd say it's working perfectly.

She's already gone from "Who's that *****?" to "Oh, that *****."

If the aim of the outrage was to prove that the gaming community doesn't have a lingering problem with women, well ... good job, guys.
I'd say it's more a problem with her one-sided approach that rails against video-game women conforming to stereotypes, while completely ignoring that video-game men conform to stereotypes just as much. And the fact that she's crowdsourcing videos, videos just like the one she made to advertise her solicitations, videos she'll make even more money on the ad revenue and traffic they'll generate.

But, by all means, let's pay $50 so she can tell us we're all pigs for playing Super Mario Brothers, which has a princess who needs rescuing.
I would say that's a bit unfair. Sure, men do have stereotypical images plastered about for games, but there are also various other male figures in games, from geek types to meatheads, to the super soldier, the weaklings, the grunts, school kid superheroe, to the average joe. Women usually are either oversexualized, or incredibly weak in games, reduced to being rescued or hiding. Asking for a bit more diversity, besides a couple of one offs, isn't a terrible idea. there are so many games that fit my fiance's connection to a character (he prefers fast, agile characters that usually do sharpshooting or blade combat) versus my wish for a character (a loud, strong woman that doesn't look like she would either snap in half due to her battles, nor would be so poorly balanced from her breasts that she cannot possibly be able to do what she does (when it gets to the point that the character model goes through where their boobs are, its a bit too far.)

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Buretsu said:
I'd say it's more a problem with her one-sided approach that rails against video-game women conforming to stereotypes, while completely ignoring that video-game men conform to stereotypes just as much.
So... Why does she have to acknowledge that male characters often fall into the same traps too? Ignoring for a second that women have it much worse in games than men, what does that change?

OT: This is quite sad. Seriously, I just cannot fathom the deep-seated hatred one must have to make comments like that. :/

Nov 5, 2007
Richardplex said:
Wow. Talk about one sided journalism. For a rational view of why people are against this that isn't just picking youtube comments and calling it news, here:
A) People can throw money wherever they like and support the projects they feel are important (and in this case, it is)

B) Don't point to a video of some asshole making ridicule of said project as an argument.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well Grey, the problem is that this kind of thing is a no win scenario. Like it or not feminist rabble rousing, and politically correct rabble rounsing in general, has been a problem and has started to seriously mess up gaming just like political correctness has messed up so many things before it. If you just politely disagree with it, then typically you wind up getting gang banged by the PC or more likely just ignored as the person does whatever they are out to do and grabs their platform. If you get more forceful, either from the beginning, or in response, then your treated as some kind of a demon who must hate women or whatever minority is the subject of the politically correct rant to some ridiculous degree, thuis proving the point. This leads to this kind of anger increasingly coming out of the gun right from the beginning, which is what we're seeing here.

It doesn't help that the lady doing this is pretty much the poster child for the entire problem. She pretty much matches the stereotype from presentation, to asking for money, to her rather dubious cred in championing this "issue" (which isn't really an issue to begin with), so yeah, she's being attacked. I'll be honest in saying I find her pretty abhorrant myself, just on the merits of what she's trying to make an issue out of, given that the only reason to try and do so is to get attention.

Ask yourself this question Grey, whether you agree with her or not, how would you try and shut her down if you were of a mind to do so? You can say you wouldn't engage in E-intimidation, but at the same time it's not like there are any other recourses.

It's not always a pleasant situation but sometimes the right to free speech has to be used to police the right to free speech so to speak. In this case the lady being "victimized" really is the bad guy, as there is literally zero good that can come from anything that she claims to represent, since the issue she is "addressing" doesn't exist, and is simply being used as a way of getting a platform. Taking it beyond internet rants to the point of trying to get people to finance a larger platform? Obviously a lot of concerned gamers don't want to see that, because this is really a form of rabble rousing that needs to die as opposed to being encouraged.

What I'm saying isn't nice, and I doubt you (and many others) will agree with me, but I can't really see her as being a victim here. But then again having looked at this same "issue" foe years like many people have, I already know it's bunk. Those attacks might not be nice (and outright hurtful), but understand that the intention here is to stop her, and there is no real way to "reason" in a situation like this. There isn't any kind of an authority that one can appeal to in order to stop this. Vlogs don't require permits the way public demonstrations and the like do.

Think of it as a counter demonstration, two totally opposed groups forming up on other sides of the street. Do you think it's going to be devoid of any kind of attacks on the people involved (beyond the issue)? From where I'm sitting, this is the internet version.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
-sigh- Another fine display of the openness to discuss differences of opinion in the community, great going.

Although asking for $6000 to discuss woman in videogames which others have already discussed by many people e.g. Extra Credits is a bit much.

Richardplex said:
Wow. Talk about one sided journalism. For a rational view of why people are against this that isn't just picking youtube comments, which are vile on every subject under the sun, and calling it news, here:
This guy makes some good points.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Aaaand cue the people defending this sort of shit.

This stuff happens all the time in the gaming community and it needs to be pointed out and heckled as much as possible.

Hopefully, the gaming community will be dragged kicking and screaming towards a point where this kind of crap is at least frowned upon. (But I am sure I will be called `extreme` for even thinking there is a problem).

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Therumancer said:
Ask yourself this question Grey, whether you agree with her or not, how would you try and shut her down if you were of a mind to do so? You can say you wouldn't engage in E-intimidation, but at the same time it's not like there are any other recourses.
I wouldn't. I'm not so insecure in my views that I feel the need to censor people who disagree with me.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"Would be better if she filmed this in the kitchen," quips max 547490.

"She is a JEW," 614streets adds helpfully.

"ask money for making a fucking vlog? And you made it in a way that women should pledge for not being dominated by man. Smart and evil plan. You are the reason why womens are the inferior gender for the whole history of mankind," points out Armisael.

"fuck you feminist fucks you already have equality. Infact yo have better shit than most males, be glad what you got *****. Also if you want equality, we talk to men like that too, so fuck off faggo.. I mean lesbian," says Arto572.

">video games are about doing hard work, thus men are a better choice you just went full retard," added ToxicHedgie.

"1:09 This controller looks so unused. I doubt that she is a real gamer. She just looked for a niche where she can distinguish herself with her feminist propaganda," is Tig3r0's expert opinion.

"Fucking downvoted and flagged for terrorism. Dumb ass nazi ****," adds BoxxyizQueen.
On top of those beauties, there's the usual threats of violence and rape, as well as an organized efforts to have Sarkeesian's YouTube videos flagged as terrorism and her Kickstarter project defunded. YouTube comments are, by and large, where the lowest common denominator goes to slum it for a while, so people posting awful things is hardly unusual. What is unusual, is the sheer depth of hatred on display. If the aim of the outrage was to prove that the gaming community doesn't have a lingering problem with women, well ... good job, guys.
Well... this is Youtube we are talking about. I would call anyone who expect any other than this reaction, rather naive...

And having typed that... I know realise that I am truly not surprised by this... and no depressed that, in this day and age, such ignorance and caliousness still exists in places I tend to enjoy most any other day...

[sub]good freaking lord...[/sub]

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Good to see the usual dip shits crawling out of the sewers to spew hatred and the like when someone tries flashing some sunlight at them.

There were people ENRAGED at a mod for Dragon Age that covered Morrigan up more, or got rid of the cleavage in some female armor.

Misogynistic losers are a pathetic breed of gamers indeed.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
ShadowKirby said:
Richardplex said:
Wow. Talk about one sided journalism. For a rational view of why people are against this that isn't just picking youtube comments and calling it news, here:
A) People can throw money wherever they like and support the projects they feel are important (and in this case, it is)

B) Don't point to a video of some asshole making ridicule of said project as an argument.
A) totally agree with you there. I disagree with him there at that - people can do whatever the fuck they want with their money

B) I disagree with. He makes a very valid point at the fact that this project is completely pointless. If you don't know who are bad female characters are in games, you have not played games. It is an issue, and everyone who is not misogynist knows it's an issue. But this idea is just a massive waste of money because the documentary is pointless - it's going to be, to use your words, some asshole making ridicule of obviously bad characters as an argument. This isn't going to sway anyone, this isn't going to inform anyone, this is just people pointing out obvious stuff that's been said 100s of times before.

It's an argument because this article is ridiculously biased towards it, it gives the impression of 'if you disagree with the documentary you're misogynistic'. When in reality, many might disagree because the whole thing is stupid. It can and has been done for free, many times, many have done, for free, a better way of addressing the issue. It's just a massive waste of time and money - time and money everyone has the right to throw away, as it is other people's right to disagree with the project and call it a waste.