Kid Icarus: Uprising and Hurt Nintendo Fans

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
To me it smacks of a lack of play testing. The developers put the game together and thought they had done something really unique, revolutionary even, without putting much thought into the tole it would take on the players. By the time they realized that the game had these issues, it was a bit too close to launch for them to make any meaningful changes to it, so they were forced to cobble together a stand to keep the system still in an attempt to minimize the number of complaints.

It hasn't worked quite as well as they hoped.

Almack

May 1, 2012
just becasue yahtzee has a problem with KI:U doesnt mean you have to take his critic's personally. For example I loved Sonic adventure 2 battle i thought that game was AMAZING it was fun it was challenging but not to the point of frustration the sound track was really nice and every sonic game i played since that one just makes me wish i was playing it instead of those even the originals and every time i hear yahtzee put a little graphic of it burning along with other 3D sonic games I get irritated but i dont go and piss through his mail slot because its HIS opinion so i dont let it get to me

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I haven't played this game and I probably never will, but how is this control scheme appreciably different from the one in Metroid Prime Hunters and almost every other FPS on the regular Nintendo DS? They didn't include a stand that time and there wasn't a huge backlash then either. I found the best compromise was to sit in my bed and balance the sucker on a kleenex box against my lap (subliminal mental image). It was a touch annoying and crampy back then, but no one seemed to ***** too much.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Yahtzee drives the fanboys before him, crushes them, and hears the.. Wait. I can't hear anything, can you?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
...and secondly insulting me and my journalistic credibility.
I laughed here quite a bit.
So you have the right to insult people calling them twats because they like a game you don't, insulting people who like motion controls and 3D, jet people aren't allowed to say anything back?

And you didn't have and journalistic credibility to begin with. The big majority of you fans watch you only for the humor, and not to see if they should buy the game. Those who do take your review seriously obviously don't know that you blow everything out of proportions and minor problems seem worse than dooms day. You do sometimes have good points, but unless someone actually played the game, he can't know if you exaggerated or if it's true. But usually it's you exaggerating as much as possible.

You called me a twat because I like the game. And this isn't the first time you insult people because they like games you don't like. No, not even don't like. Games you didn't play past the first 3 minutes. And that is especially the case in Nintendo games.

You ranted in the review of Skyward Sword how the controls didn't work, jet they worked perfectly fine unless you wave the Wiimote like a madman. Ya know, swords can't be precise and attack 20 times a second.

No matter how much a Zelda game changes, as long as it's a adventure game with Link, you will keep saying how it's the same game. Do you even know what the word "franchise" means? I don't think it means what you think it means.

Motion controls work find and can add to the game. True, not every game should have them, but Skyward Sword worked perfectly with them. Games like Red Steel 2 wouldn't even exist without motion controls. All the problems that you have with motion controls aren't caused by the controls but by the developer who can't think of anything creative and useful.

In the last video you wasted half a review just to explain how you are NOT against Nintendo and than proceed to bash Nintendo more than the game.

3D jokes aren't funny anymore. The 3D works fine and is actually useful in the game. The 3D has a much wider field of view than you give it credit. You can walk, sit in the bus, even jump and see the 3D without any problems.

The controls are clumsy at first, but you can get easily used to it and you don't need the fucking stand. It seems to me just that people hand coordination is so fucked up that if they ever needed to survive 5 days on their own, 99% of the human population would die because they would kill them self because they couldn't control their hands while keeping a knife in it.
Did you ever tried to just place your pinky finger behind the 3DS? The fixes EVERY problem there is with the controls. EVERY!

Every other problem would be caused by your inability to move different fingers at will. Or if you're a lefty.

Maybe they could have made the controls better, maybe not. It all depends on how you like them. But fact is, they aren't as bad as you make them to be and you can change them. But no, you couldn't make bad jokes if you said that.

Stop trying justifying your bias and just say you're biased and that's it. No one will give a second fuck about it and people will proceed yo laugh at you "reviews".

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
People call Yahtzee biased because he tears down Nintendo games that get 4.5/5 Stars from the Escapist, 85/100 on Metacritic, etc. Yes, you might not like them, but clearly there are enough fans and reviewers out there who do for people to question his reviews. Now, not liking the motion controls is one thing, but it is tiring to hear that every time a new Wii game comes out, or not liking the 3D for new 3DS games.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
How can any section of people keep ignoring these points? It's a portable game. That requires a stand. This should be the end of the argument.
I've known lots of people who had no problem playing it without a stand.

Unless "requires" now means "can be optionally be played with".

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Truth be told, I'm surprized that you had to respond to this. I thought that most nintendo fans would have caught on to the fact that you exaggerate things to an extreme degree for comedic purposes and just skipped over your nintendo reveiws like I do to avoid the butthurt.

Captcha: We've got you surrounded. How appropriate.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Are there really that many Nintendo fanboys who try to undermine Yahtzee's opinion by accusing him of anti-Nintendo bias?

There must be, if Yahtzee would dedicate an entire column to it... And that's pathetic...

trollpwner said:
Yahtzee, you twit! I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Do. Not. Try. And. Reason. With. Nintendo. Fanboys.

It doesn't work. They live in a different plane of existence to us, where logic can be drowned out by them shouting their opinions at us until we want to kill ourselves. Arguging with them only gives them a platform to yell at you for being "wrong" for disagreeing with them.
Amen.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
CyricZ said:
It's buyer's remorse, pure and simple. In the back of their mind, they realize that they're not getting the experience they've signed on for, but God forbid anyone says that their purchase was a mistake, because then they might have to admit it or realize their standards have lowered, and what a blow that would do to their cred.
Or not?

I don't fault Yahtzee for his view. On one hand, the fact that he's trying to use the stand gives me an "oh, no wonder" moment. My friends and I that haven't even pulled the stand from its box have gotten used to any hand-cramp and have played the game fine as is. But, this is also a logical fallacy known as argumentum ad populum [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum]. If you have to resort to "well, this group of people know it as common sense/truth/etc., therefore it must be true", then you clearly have a ***** in your argument.

For what it is trying to do, I actually think the Kid Icarus controls are what they need to be. But, this is also because I enjoy the gameplay as it is. Simple, but open and allowing for up-close or ranged combat.

Let's also speak true, this is hardly the first DS game to require the stylus while holding the system in one hand. However, no one seemed to really fault Knights in the Nightmare, Phoenix Wright or Elite Beat Agents for it. If Kid Icarus never had the stand, I can only wonder if the hand cramps would be a fault of the game at all.

Myself, I stopped having hand cramps after the second or third play session. Still, that's an awfully big pill to swallow. "Oh, yeah, it hurts for a bit, but you get used to it." That's a problem, but once more, it existed before Kid Icarus.

As for Yahtzee being biased, well, we all are, but in this case it's not against Nintendo. Yahtzee stated the levels were awfully short, but I found them to be just right. No neat feature or gimmick overstays its welcome, and the levels are easily replayable. Yet this might simply fit my play style better than his. That's bias, but it's not a critique of Yahtzee. It's a simple fact, and even critics that try to be as objective as possible cannot escape that fact.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is a legitimately good game, albeit unconventional in some of its controls. Is it unreasonable to ask someone to take some time to get used to it? Oh Hell yeah. Every fiber of my Usability studying brain screams about that fact. But is it also a bad call to dismiss a good game because of that? Hell yeah to that, too.

At the same time, anyone watching Zero Punctuation and expecting a video full of good things to say needs a drill to the skull so all the stupid leaks out. Yahtzee is a critic with a goal, and that's to take every game and find its flaws. Why? Because too many people in this industry ignore them. At least, this is what I've gathered. So even if you don't always agree with him, there is value to his videos because at the very least it provides a differing perspective.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Sean951 said:
People call Yahtzee biased because he tears down Nintendo games that get 4.5/5 Stars from the Escapist, 85/100 on Metacritic, etc. Yes, you might not like them, but clearly there are enough fans and reviewers out there who do for people to question his reviews. Now, not liking the motion controls is one thing, but it is tiring to hear that every time a new Wii game comes out, or not liking the 3D for new 3DS games.
Why does it matter if something is critically-acclaimed? Why does it matter if it has a large fanbase? If something is surrounded by the popular opinion "it's good," that doesn't make it objectively "good." However popular an opinion may be, it's still an opinion.

85% on Metacritic? Well, that means that 15% of those who posted reviews didn't like it. If Yahtzee falls into the 15% that doesn't make his opinion "wrong" or "less valid" than those who are in the 85%. Most Americans adults think that coffee is great, but I hate coffee. I prefer hot tea. Does that make my opinion "wrong" or "less valid" because it's an unpopular opinion? No.

Tastes are always subjective, no matter how popular they are, so no opinion on taste is provably superior. When it comes to matters of taste, popular opinion does not give a taste any more "logical validity," it only gives it "strength in numbers." Unless the fanbase intends to use that strength to bully/harass the outliners (which does happen), popular opinion in matters of taste means nothing. And when said bullying/harrassment occurs, that means that the fanbase is full of twats.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Oh, dear. I'd better get the bugle, since we'll be needing someone to play a dirge shortly.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Mahoshonen said:
I must admit I feel a little torn.

On the one hand, I do sympathize with Yahtzee having to deal with this B.S. every time a Nintendo game comes out.

On the other hand, the ensuing shitstorm is incredibly entertaining and I never want it to go away.
Oh, don't worry. As long as there are fanboys, there will be flamewars.
Popcorn?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I prefer it when you don't defend yourself, Yahtzee. Or at least not on this level.

There is no logical reason to hate Nintendo, but you're not talking to reasonable people.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yahtzee is hardly the only reviewer to admonish KI:U for having ghastly controls. It would be nice if people could actually acknowledge the content of criticism rather than simply trying to drown it out.

"And then it wrenched out of my grasp, chased my child up and down the street, set my fence on fire-"

"Oh, you're just one of those people who hates lawnmowers. Lawnmower bigot!"

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Revnak said:
I'm sorry Yahtzee, but all I read in that article was bias, bias, fuck motion controls, bias.

As for people assuming that fans of the game just don't want to have it revealed to them that they are wrong, why are you assuming that? Maybe they just like those games while Yahtzee doesn't and feel they need some kind of justification. Just because Yahtzee dislikes something doesn't mean that everyone who likes it is absolutely wrong and simply doesn't want to admit it (and thank God for that! I love 40k regardless of Yahtzee's opinions). Maybe these aren't even all the same people, but actually different fans of different games. The assumptions you guys keep throwing around are just as moronic as the ones people keep making about Yahtzee.
Yahtzee doesn't hate you for having a different opinion than himself. The issue he has is when people immediately dismiss his articles and often times legitimate, albeit humorous arguments because of this perceived bias. He doesn't give a stuff if you say he is wrong and then show the reasons why. It is when somebody is all "Nintendo bias QED" or the people who simply cannot tolerate him having a different opinion than their own. If this isn't you than it isn't aimed at you.

I for one don't give a toss either way though, this is too funny for me. Yahtzee rags on just about everything, that is his gimmick. His "reviews" are not so much that, as more of a showing of the game's flaws in a humorous way. Every single week there are a portion of viewers who just can't hold in their anger at a game they like but will often be laughing along next week once it's a game they are indifferent about. I mean sometimes you may have some pretty good points but that you are actually getting honestly upset at a comedic show is strange to me. Do you also get upset and filled with rage when South Park or Family Guy pokes fun at something you like?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Nice try, Yahtzee, but everyone knows that with every bad game you play you become more powerful. Nintendo is being petty and biased against you every time they release a GOOD game. 'Let's see that bastard make fun of this!', they cackle madly.

And it seems everyone hates Kid Icarus and the guy developing it wasn't told what the specs he was supposed to be working to were until too late in development, so the stand is literally a kind of duct tape.

odolwa

Feb 15, 2011
A wise man once said, "Fans are clinging, whiney, complaining dip-sh**s who will never, ever appreciate any concession you make". Heed his wise words, Yahtzee. Don't feed the trolls.