Kid Icarus: Uprising and Hurt Nintendo Fans

Invadergray

Oct 17, 2011
The Random One said:
Nice try, Yahtzee, but everyone knows that with every bad game you play you become more powerful. Nintendo is being petty and biased against you every time they release a GOOD game. 'Let's see that bastard make fun of this!', they cackle madly.
Or maybe Nintendo and Yahtzee have some secret pact where they will continue to release bad games so he will always have something to hate on and therefore always have a job!

Tanakh said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
I appreciate that Nintendo seem to be the only triple-A company still interested in trying new things
I will argue that Blizzard is trying several new things in Diablo III, besides the in game mechanics ones (redone all the leveling and stat system) this game seems like a very ballsy experiment to see what can and can't be done with real money item buying and selling in a higly supervised eviroment, i want to see how does it compares against EVE or Second Life in therms of making it profitable for the dedicated player (my guess? it will crush the dreams that some people have about making a living with it). Blizz is also not clueless, they know by implementing this model they are forgoing a lot of launch sales, i guess they are confident that it will be addictive enough to keep the first costumers playing and luring new players. Honestly i see this game as a hugue psychological experiment and i find it very intriguing, no way in hell ill devote time to it though, i am more interested in seeing how the community evolves than in the actual game.

Then again i like blizz :p
Well that's new for Diablo but not really new for games in general or even Blizzard really. The fact of the matter is once your game is called Diablo III you really can't expect too much in the way of "changes the gaming world forever."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yahtzee, I said it in your review of Kid Icarus and I'll say it again, you go after the Wii and the 3DS all. The. Fraking. Time. And every time you go after them, your arguments are the exact same "stupid gimmicky motion controls, stupid gimmicky 3D blah blah blah". I know that you're not biased, but to many people you come across as someone with a serious grudge against nintendo's current generation of gaming, you said that you agree that these jokes have become dated, so here's a piece of advice. Stop using them. If you think that they're stale and used up, then why the heck would you keep using them, are you that bad at coming up with new jokes? And the fact that you never let up does nothing to help alleviate this opinion about you. Oh yeah, and you constantly insult people and throw the word fanboy around like it's going out of style, there's probably a reason why people think that you're biased. You pretty much dedicate everything you do on this website to insulting a game, insulting game companies and more than once you've insulted people for their tastes. But then again I'm a Halo fan so I guess that makes me a "Meta ****" what do I know? I would think that anyone who passed social educate 101 would know that people who regularly insult groups of people on a regular basis assume that they have a grudge, oh and basic internet 101, you insult somebody (which you do all, and I mean ALL of the time) they will insult you back. Ever think of that Ben? Is this honestly shocking to you? I would have thought when you decided to make "insult everything and everyone" your motif, there would be at least a couple of people that wouldn't take it light heartily. Welcome to the internet pal, you must be new.

My Advice? Try to keep your material fresh and focus on hating games and not fans of the games...this is gonna fall on deaf ears but I'm posting it anyway, pretty much everyone who isn't a "Nintendo fanboy" is nodding their heads and unison and agreeing with you without question. Someone has to play Devil's advocate.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
yahtzee your fighting a battle against nintendo fanboys they cannot be reasoned with or have a civilized discusion they will shout their opinion and they will think it's right always because nintendo fans flock together so from now on you should just start trolling them for shits and giggles.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Pattern recognition is a sure sign of an alert, functioning mind.

I can see why certain folk might envy that to the point of jealousy.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
As a Nintendo Fanboy, I will never understand why people can't deal with other people having opinions and why they must instantly bash them for this. Not everyone is going to agree with your opinions, and there is no reason to yell at them for not agreeing with you. I enjoyed what I have played of Kid Icarus, so am I going to call Yahtzee a Nintendo hater because he hated it? No. There is absolutely no reason to argue about it.

May 17, 2010
I have to admit I do find it very funny that Yahtzee has got his panties in a twist over this. I think a nerve has been found. That said I do think that is ole Ben Croshaw wants to do his usual review style of viscous verbal beat-down then he's gonna get a response. Doesn't mean that reason is right but it's predictable.

Blade_125

Sep 1, 2011
A lot of people go to any form of news/review to reaffirm their beliefs. When their beliefs are not validated they will question the integrety of the news/reviewer rather than question their own beliefs, or just accept that there is no right answer and different people think different things.

Yahtzee, you waste your time even bothering to try and convince these people of anything. But please keep on with the reviews. They always make my Wednesdays a little better, even when you blast a game I really like.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
trollpwner said:
Yahtzee, you twit! I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Do. Not. Try. And. Reason. With. Fanboys.

It doesn't work. They live in a different plane of existence to us, where logic can be drowned out by them shouting their opinions at us until we want to kill ourselves. Arguging with them only gives them a platform to yell at you for being "wrong" for disagreeing with them.
Fixed. Nintendo fanboys are neither worse nor better than any other kind.

Personally I liked Kid Icarus, but really, the controls were kinda terrible. If only they had taken use of the circle pad they could make it so much better.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Laugh at these comments all you like, but somewhere, somebody based their opinion of KI:U solely on Yahtzee's review. They probably would have liked the game if they got past Yahtzee's ranting.
Yopaz said:
Personally I liked Kid Icarus, but really, the controls were kinda terrible. If only they had taken use of the circle pad they could make it so much better.
THEY. DID. You can customize your controls so the reticle is controlled with the right circle pad.
That IS what you meant, right?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
ccesarano said:
Kid Icarus: Uprising is a legitimately good game, albeit unconventional in some of its controls. Is it unreasonable to ask someone to take some time to get used to it? Oh Hell yeah. Every fiber of my Usability studying brain screams about that fact. But is it also a bad call to dismiss a good game because of that? Hell yeah to that, too.
There is no such thing as a legitimately good game. Only a legitimately bad one. Nobody is going to argue that Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is a bad game, but people will argue with you for hours to say that Uprising is not good. Why will they do this? Because you cannot PROVE that it is good, thus it is not "legitimately good". No game ever has been and no game ever will be.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
mjc0961 said:
ccesarano said:
Kid Icarus: Uprising is a legitimately good game, albeit unconventional in some of its controls. Is it unreasonable to ask someone to take some time to get used to it? Oh Hell yeah. Every fiber of my Usability studying brain screams about that fact. But is it also a bad call to dismiss a good game because of that? Hell yeah to that, too.
There is no such thing as a legitimately good game. Only a legitimately bad one. Nobody is going to argue that Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is a bad game, but people will argue with you for hours to say that Uprising is not good. Why will they do this? Because you cannot PROVE that it is good, thus it is not "legitimately good". No game ever has been and no game ever will be.
There are no legitimately good games but there are legitimately bad ones...sure, why not?

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Why does everybody complain about the controls on this game?

It's perfectly possible to play it without the stand. Just hold the stylus between your index finger, middle finger and thumb, and use your ring and little fingers to hold the 3DS while using the control pad with your other hand.

How is that not intuitive? Do these people not even know how to use the opposable digits that humankind has evolved with?

Oh, and Yahtzee, complaining about your feelings being hurt? Well, pleased to meet you Mr. Pot, I'm the Kettle you just called black. After you went out of your way to personally insult everyone who actually liked Zelda: Skyward Sword, I can't say I'm all that sympathetic.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
ccesarano said:
My statement isn't meant to be directed at people who enjoyed the game. You're free to enjoy the game as much as you want. In fact, I believe I stated my own enjoyment in my original post, and if you think it's even better than that, then I'm happy that you were able to get that enjoyment.

My statement is directed at people who claim bias or otherwise attempt to discredit those who have a different opinion than them. There's a reason they're lashing out in this case and I honestly don't think it's company loyalty. That leaves it more on a personal level, and the most obvious answer is buyer's remorse.

Seriously, guys. Hold true to your beliefs about what you enjoy and respectfully disagree with those who don't enjoy those things. To get defensive is to go down a dangerous path.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
CyricZ said:
ccesarano said:
My statement isn't meant to be directed at people who enjoyed the game. You're free to enjoy the game as much as you want. In fact, I believe I stated my own enjoyment in my original post, and if you think it's even better than that, then I'm happy that you were able to get that enjoyment.

My statement is directed at people who claim bias or otherwise attempt to discredit those who have a different opinion than them. There's a reason they're lashing out in this case and I honestly don't think it's company loyalty. That leaves it more on a personal level, and the most obvious answer is buyer's remorse.

Seriously, guys. Hold true to your beliefs about what you enjoy and respectfully disagree with those who don't enjoy those things. To get defensive is to go down a dangerous path.
It's not so much buyer's remorse as it is about being personally insulted.

If someone calls my mother a whore, I'm not going to suddenly question if she is, because I know she isn't. I am, however, going to punch that person's teeth out, because insulting my mother is insulting me by implication.

The same is true of a game I like. If you attack a game I love to the degree that Yahtzee does, you are essentially bullying me for it. If you were to be polite in criticism, I'd probably disagree respectfully, but since Yahtzee's entire shtick is to be an asshole, I am going to be defensive, because he is attacking.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
...and secondly insulting me and my journalistic credibility.

And you didn't have and journalistic credibility to begin with. The big majority of you fans watch you only for the humor, and not to see if they should buy the game. Those who do take your review seriously obviously don't know that you blow everything out of proportions and minor problems seem worse than dooms day. You do sometimes have good points, but unless someone actually played the game, he can't know if you exaggerated or if it's true. But usually it's you exaggerating as much as possible.
So why is it that YOU keep coming to see Yahtzee's reviews, sir? It sounds like you don't find him funny, so you can't even say that it's to laugh at him. You obviously don't take his reviews seriously, so that's out.

It seems to me that you're just like every other Nintendo Fanboy in the world - you like watching Yahtzee bash other games, but the moment he bashes one of your favorites, you're quick to disagree with him by making long posts with several spelling errors.

Trust me when I say that Yahtzee says things that all other critics wish they could say. I'm a big Mass Effect fan, but I have to admit, all of his complaints about the game are spot on. I mean, even video game developers watch Zero Punctuation. He must be doing something right.

You can walk, sit in the bus, even jump and see the 3D without any problems.
That right there? That's a fucking lie. I own a 3DS and several games, all of which I play with the 3D cranked up, (except Tales of the Abyss) and if you move the system at all, you get double vision.

Also note, that every other critic admonished Kid Icarus: Uprising for having frustrating controls. "It's not so bad if you get used to it." I shouldn't have to. No one should have to. If you love the game, more power to you, but don't get pissy with a critic for doing his job. I don't see anyone paying you for video game reviews.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
These are people that get so bent out of shape about one Brit ripping into games that they sit and type up huge walls of text that basically amount to "Stop being mean to things I like!"

You expect reason? Why?