Kid Icarus: Uprising and Hurt Nintendo Fans

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
ShinGundam said:
No offense, I watch Yahtzee because he is more of clown than critic, That said he's a total ass clown, and the fact that there are people who take him seriously is amusing because the whole point of the show is he's making some of most inflammatory reviews, I doubt a game designer come here expect anything of substance or be enlightened by good criticism.
Don't know if trolling or just stupid. Do you even listen to the reviews/critics?
He goes through his personal experience with a game, and if he thinks it sucked hairy man ball then he most likely sucked said hair man balls.
If I didn't his opinion seriously I would have completely ignored such gems as inFAMOUS, Silent Hill 2 and the Orange Box.

To say that he's only doing it for shits and giggles is to to just reassure yourself with a weak excuse to disregard his opinion.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
Sheo_Dagana said:
I have a feeling that you didn't even read the whole quoted post or the thread and with it my other post.
I read your whole post. I just chose to quote the part of it that I took issue with.

The part that you quoted stats just the truth. Yahtzee is NOT a journalist. He is a comedian. No one should take his reviews to serious because you can't possible know what point is real and what is exaggerated. That doesn't make him a bad comedian, but that makes it impossible for him to be a real reviewer. For him to be a reviewer, people need to be able to take his points seriously. How can you do that is his opening statement says you're a twat for liking what he doesn't like?
The thing about this is that there are some comedians who are also journalists. Who are you to say Yahtzee can't be both? What makes you think that comedy cannot be used to drive a serious point home? It's the reason that people like John Stewart or Bill Maher are successful. Also, the video does not start off with him insulting you. The video started with him insulting Nintendo fanboys, which you very clearly state that you are not.

I admit, I am a bit surprised that Yahtzee is addressing this bullshit more than once. If I were him, I would simply feast upon the weeping fans' tears. Because it's pretty stupid when fundamentalist fans get pissy when their favorite game gets anything less than a stellar review. But take a look at anything else that Yahtzee does and you'll see that he takes gaming quite seriously.

Tristan Harden

Oct 20, 2011
aegix drakan said:
My question here is why anyone gets upset at Yatzee.

These reviews are entertainment. You're not SUPPOSED to take offense at them, because Yatzee is insanely harsh on everything, save a few rare gems.

I mean, I'm a big fan of sonic, and I didn't throw a hissy fit when he hated on Generations (which I think is the best sonic game I've played. And I'm talking about the 3D gameplay, not the 2D gameplay). I just shrugged and went "oh well, he didn't like it.".

So to all the haters and whiners, please cut it out. You're both being obsessed, and missing the point harder than a cannon pointed the wrong way. So what if he didn't like the game you like? How does that diminish your love for the game? How does his not liking the game affect YOU?
This.

Now my oppinion is I'v become a fan of kid icarus uprising and I love the 3DS system. I would even call myself a Nintendo fanboy at this stage since I play my wii more than my PS3 and PC these days, along with my history with Nintendo consoles. But I'm not going to hate on anyone that dosen't agree with me though, that's just petty. I really hate fanboyism since I discovered the PC elitist crowd (they are undeniably the worst).

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Revnak said:
Um, at what point (other than the clearly sarcastic opening sentence) did I accuse Yahtzee of anything? My comment was towards the guys that were posting about how Nintendo fans simply refuse to admit their games suck despite deep down knowing that it is true. Those guys are being total pricks.
When you said:
As for people assuming that fans of the game just don't want to have it revealed to them that they are wrong, why are you assuming that? Maybe they just like those games while Yahtzee doesn't and feel they need some kind of justification. Just because Yahtzee dislikes something doesn't mean that everyone who likes it is absolutely wrong and simply doesn't want to admit it (and thank God for that!
I thought you were suggesting that Yahtzee doesn't like people having opinions differing from his own. So I simply said that this is not true and that the video is aimed at people who dismiss all his arguments just because they believe he his biased. But it seems you were referring to other people, my apologies.

Yes people who say that kind of stuff are dicks.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Zeriah said:
Revnak said:
Um, at what point (other than the clearly sarcastic opening sentence) did I accuse Yahtzee of anything? My comment was towards the guys that were posting about how Nintendo fans simply refuse to admit their games suck despite deep down knowing that it is true. Those guys are being total pricks.
When you said:
As for people assuming that fans of the game just don't want to have it revealed to them that they are wrong, why are you assuming that? Maybe they just like those games while Yahtzee doesn't and feel they need some kind of justification. Just because Yahtzee dislikes something doesn't mean that everyone who likes it is absolutely wrong and simply doesn't want to admit it (and thank God for that!
I thought you were suggesting that Yahtzee doesn't like people having opinions differing from his own. So I simply said that this is not true and that the video is aimed at people who dismiss all his arguments just because they believe he his biased. But it seems you were referring to other people, my apologies.

Yes people who say that kind of stuff are dicks.
I guess that's understandable. I just don't take Yahtzee's opinions as the end all of video games. I still love 40k and Dark Souls (the later being my personal game of '11) and I will never have problems with Tolkeinesque fantasy as long as people actually try to do something unique with the themes, like cannibalistic halflings or dwarves that behave anything like the absurdly messed up Dwarf Fortress dorfs do in actual games, like killing all elves and slaughtering unicorns and mermaids for resources. Funny shit man.

Oh... I think I had a point somewhere in there? I guess that I dislike the people that look to Yahtzee to justify their disdain for something as much as I dislike the guys that accuse him of bias to justify their liking things he dislikes.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Dear Yahtzee,

I don't know if you will ever read this, this far down the thread, personally I would email you instead but I can't seem to find your email on the site.

Just wanted to say there isn't much point with argue with viewers on the forums - in general it's pointless to argue on the net as a whole; as such that I have stop taking part in internet discussions completely.

The internet doesn't really have "discussions". Most "forum threads" are what are known as "circlejerks", that basically act as support groups for people who share an opinion to pat each other on the back and high-five one another for ? well ? sharing the same opinion.

The PoV that will dominate the thread is determined by majority vote. Some sites like reddit even have "upvote/downvote buttons" for you to abuse to bury dissenting views. Even without such "upvote/downvote buttons", you can expect to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of "attacks" on your views - attacks that will use very rhetorical trick in the book to push their agenda and even resort to bare insults in an attempt to intimidation you into surrendering - that it becomes exhausting just to continue the discussion.

In short, it's lot like fighting a lynch mob. Futile. In general, not worth it.

Debates should only be done with non-retarded trustworthy real-life friends IMO.

Sincerely,
A viewer.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I completely agree that Nintendo haven't been doing very good lately and I think it's completely down to a lack of innovation. Hell, last year at E3, they didn't even showcase "one" new IP and the most original idea they could come up with was Luigi's Mansion 2 - two - that should say it all...

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Revnak said:
I'm sorry Yahtzee, but all I read in that article was bias, bias, fuck motion controls, bias.

As for people assuming that fans of the game just don't want to have it revealed to them that they are wrong, why are you assuming that? Maybe they just like those games while Yahtzee doesn't and feel they need some kind of justification. Just because Yahtzee dislikes something doesn't mean that everyone who likes it is absolutely wrong and simply doesn't want to admit it (and thank God for that! I love 40k regardless of Yahtzee's opinions). Maybe these aren't even all the same people, but actually different fans of different games. The assumptions you guys keep throwing around are just as moronic as the ones people keep making about Yahtzee.
You do realize you just validated everything he said right? I don't know what kind of world you live in where you read bias on any part of that article, breaking it down, he looks at why the game doesn't work well on handhelds, points out that the games controls are flawed, blaming nintendo but later praising them a little for moving away from motion controls because they don't immerse you as much as a regular controller.
He provided an objective example of why the main controls of the game don't work, and you claimed he was biased without any proof to back up your argument, and of course the majority of people don't assume that every game he doesn't like is bad as in the end, it boils down to his opinion, which is why it's ridiculous that people would try telling him that his opinion was wrong.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
itsmeyouidiot said:
It's not so much buyer's remorse as it is about being personally insulted.

If someone calls my mother a whore, I'm not going to suddenly question if she is, because I know she isn't. I am, however, going to punch that person's teeth out, because insulting my mother is insulting me by implication.

The same is true of a game I like. If you attack a game I love to the degree that Yahtzee does, you are essentially bullying me for it. If you were to be polite in criticism, I'd probably disagree respectfully, but since Yahtzee's entire shtick is to be an asshole, I am going to be defensive, because he is attacking.
See, all you're doing is proving an unnatural attachment to these games. Nowhere in the video or this column has Yahtzee personally insulted you. He's insulted the game's characters because it's funny, the developers for their failings, and people, as a group, who have misinterpreted his opinions and criticisms as bias, and if you fall into that third group, then you've made your bed. But if you're claiming that you're virtuous in this argument because all you're doing is defending the game's quality, then I laugh at you. Ha.

I'm not usually one to say "you shouldn't be offended by this", but I guess I'm imperfect and have to make an exception here. I think it's closer to the idea that you're too closely associating yourself with an entity that certainly has no personal connection to you, and yet you feel the need to protect and defend it. To my eyes, all you're really defending is your own pride.

If you're truly enjoying these games, then you shouldn't *need* to be reaffirmed for your enjoyment by watching a British guy throw insults at it. You *should* be confident in your own opinions and beliefs enough that this one guy can't shake them. The fact that you *aren't* and feel the need to lash out against his character and integrity speaks volumes.

Lastly, I'm sure your analogy wasn't meant to equate video games to family members, so I'll give you a little pass on that, but I still suggest you be careful, because it can easily be interpreted that way.

Buretsu said:
Except, to be fair, Yahtzee called Kid Icarus: Uprising a "shit game for twats" so he's being rather hypocritical.
And if you can't tell he was being hypocritical by design for effect, then I laugh once more. It's not like Yahtzee is any stranger to the hypocritical and self-deprecating side of humor.

Draconalis said:
Wait... he actually reads comments?

I refuse to believe it.
This threw me more than anything else in his column. :p

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
CyricZ said:
ccesarano said:
My statement isn't meant to be directed at people who enjoyed the game. You're free to enjoy the game as much as you want. In fact, I believe I stated my own enjoyment in my original post, and if you think it's even better than that, then I'm happy that you were able to get that enjoyment.

My statement is directed at people who claim bias or otherwise attempt to discredit those who have a different opinion than them. There's a reason they're lashing out in this case and I honestly don't think it's company loyalty. That leaves it more on a personal level, and the most obvious answer is buyer's remorse.

Seriously, guys. Hold true to your beliefs about what you enjoy and respectfully disagree with those who don't enjoy those things. To get defensive is to go down a dangerous path.
"Defensive" is such a wonderful word, isn't it?

Insult someone all you want... if they have the nerve to take offense at it, why... they're just being "defensive"! You're thoroughly absolved of any responsbility for what you say, because they shouldn't be "defensive"!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Why does Yahtzee give a damn so much about irrational fanboys and fangirls?

That said, I do think Yahtzee's a total wuss if Kid Icarus: Uprising, a game THIS sissy little girl could play for over one hundred hours with zero problems, is in such agonizing pain over playing the game.

Geez, I grew up on Track and Field and I still remember the blisters I got from Mario Party games on the N64. Kid Icarus: Uprising is a downright pleasure massage compared to those.

But I think the bigger deal is that a game can be flawed (I use the stand for KI:U when I'm in bed and my boobs aren't giving me enough support for it), yet still be a masterpiece of content, gameplay, music, art, etc.

Resident Evil 1 is a classic despite bad controls and a bad camera. Metroid 1 is a classic despite the lack of a map. Modern games like Portal 1 are classic despite their coffee-break length, and Bioshock is a classic despite a really bad final boss fight and lackluster endings. Yes, FF7 is great, despite graphics that turn the heroes into sausage-armed monstrosities. Yes, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is great, despite really bad boss battles. Yes, Killer7 is great despite a HUGE list of gaming sins it commits.

I'm not a Nintendo fangirl (cue Yahtzee going "yes you are"); I'm a fan of games in general, be they on the Vita, 3DS, iPhone, 360, PS3, PC, Wii... hell, put a good game on the N-Gage and I'd play it. Yahtzee's entitled to his opinion, but I'm very grateful for a game like Kid Icarus: Uprising, a game with no online passes, no DRM, no day-1 DLC, no locked-on-disc content, no "Super Turbo" edition, a game with a 10+ hour campaign, fun multiplayer, thousands of secrets and unlockables, all for a price far cheaper than Kane & Lynch 2 ever was at launch.

For the first, I don't know, 20 minutes, I might have agreed with Yahtzee, but I got over the learning curve, got my hands to adapt, and thoroughly enjoyed the game from start to finish and all the way through again and again (curse you, 9.0 Intensity!).

I just find it funny he's in such melodramatic pain and misery playing the game while a girl like me that can't even lift a heavy phone book didn't find it uncomfortable enough to diminish the experience. Kinda makes me want to arm-wrestle Yahtzee to see if he'd cry and give up if I brought my A-game.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Revnak said:
I'm sorry Yahtzee, but all I read in that article was bias, bias, fuck motion controls, bias.
That's because, let's face it, you've decided not to like Yahtzee (for whatever reason) and all you can see in his comments is negative. You've got your own bias you can't see beyond. As a person who's pretty neutral on Nintendo, I can see that Yahtzee is pointing out legitimate faults or failings, not just hating on Nintendo for the sake of it.

BiH-Kira said:
...and secondly insulting me and my journalistic credibility.
I laughed here quite a bit.
So you have the right to insult people calling them twats because they like a game you don't, insulting people who like motion controls and 3D, jet people aren't allowed to say anything back?

And you didn't have and journalistic credibility to begin with. The big majority of you fans watch you only for the humor, and not to see if they should buy the game. Those who do take your review seriously obviously don't know that you blow everything out of proportions and minor problems seem worse than dooms day. You do sometimes have good points, but unless someone actually played the game, he can't know if you exaggerated or if it's true. But usually it's you exaggerating as much as possible.

You called me a twat because I like the game. And this isn't the first time you insult people because they like games you don't like. No, not even don't like. Games you didn't play past the first 3 minutes. And that is especially the case in Nintendo games.

You ranted in the review of Skyward Sword how the controls didn't work, jet they worked perfectly fine unless you wave the Wiimote like a madman. Ya know, swords can't be precise and attack 20 times a second.

No matter how much a Zelda game changes, as long as it's a adventure game with Link, you will keep saying how it's the same game. Do you even know what the word "franchise" means? I don't think it means what you think it means.

Motion controls work find and can add to the game. True, not every game should have them, but Skyward Sword worked perfectly with them. Games like Red Steel 2 wouldn't even exist without motion controls. All the problems that you have with motion controls aren't caused by the controls but by the developer who can't think of anything creative and useful.

In the last video you wasted half a review just to explain how you are NOT against Nintendo and than proceed to bash Nintendo more than the game.

3D jokes aren't funny anymore. The 3D works fine and is actually useful in the game. The 3D has a much wider field of view than you give it credit. You can walk, sit in the bus, even jump and see the 3D without any problems.

The controls are clumsy at first, but you can get easily used to it and you don't need the fucking stand. It seems to me just that people hand coordination is so fucked up that if they ever needed to survive 5 days on their own, 99% of the human population would die because they would kill them self because they couldn't control their hands while keeping a knife in it.
Did you ever tried to just place your pinky finger behind the 3DS? The fixes EVERY problem there is with the controls. EVERY!

Every other problem would be caused by your inability to move different fingers at will. Or if you're a lefty.

Maybe they could have made the controls better, maybe not. It all depends on how you like them. But fact is, they aren't as bad as you make them to be and you can change them. But no, you couldn't make bad jokes if you said that.

Stop trying justifying your bias and just say you're biased and that's it. No one will give a second fuck about it and people will proceed yo laugh at you "reviews".

You've really only proven that it is impossible to engage dedicated fans of anything. Criticisms are seen as attacks, opinions as incorrect facts, positive comments ignored by the fan.

"The controls are clumsy at first"
And they shouldn't be. When the controls of a game are almost universally pointed out as a problem, it's a problem. The very fact that Nintendo felt the need to include the stand shows they realize that there is a problem.

"The 3D has a much wider field of view than you give it credit. You can walk, sit in the bus, even jump and see the 3D without any problems."
I'm calling bullshit on that right now. Bullshit The viewing angle required for the 3D effect to look "right" is laughably narrow and you or anyone else claiming otherwise are putting lipstick on a pig. Glasses-free 3D on the 3DS is easily the worst feature of the device and anything protestations otherwise smack of willful ignorance at worst, exaggeration at best.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
McMarbles said:
"Defensive" is such a wonderful word, isn't it?

Insult someone all you want... if they have the nerve to take offense at it, why... they're just being "defensive"! You're thoroughly absolved of any responsbility for what you say, because they shouldn't be "defensive"!
Yeah, okay. I mean, if you want to distill the argument down to word choice, I imagine I can come up with a better one. How about "protective"? Or "attached"? Or "apologist"?

Yeah, any word can lose meaning when people improperly associate it too many times, but I'm gonna defend (ha!) proper use here largely due to any people taking Yahtzee videos far too personally.

The Crazy Legs

Nov 11, 2011
thepyrethatburns said:
My response to Yahtzee would be as follows:

Firstly, journalistic credibility? I know ZP has been very good to you but there's a point in which one starts believing one's own press a little too much. I would argue that nobody uses ZP or the Extra Punctuation columns to determine whether or not they will buy a game.
Hi there. I bought Dead Space 2 thanks to his review about it. I was considering whether or not I should buy it, then I watched his video and I did. And I enjoy it. ... and I'm horribly addicted to it (STOMPING ON DEAD BABIES IS SO MUCH FUN!!!!). Just... keep that in mind, okay? Haven't you ever gone into the comments of the ZP videos and saw someone say, "Well, I'm off to get this game now" or any variation of the phrase? I mean, really? No one but me (and that's still enough to invalidate your arguement) has ever decided to buy a game based on what they heard in Zero or Extra Punctuation? I doubt that.

rabidkanid

Mar 26, 2008
This isn't just Nintendo fanboys. The gaming industry is full of some of the most (some times it feels like THE most) infantile, sexist, biased, idiotic people you'll ever meet. Coddling their childhood nostalgia for certain franchises and companies like some holy religious relic that can never be questioned or have their obvious flaws pointed out.

It constantly brings up the idea in my mind that, while it's possible for games to become more than what they are as an interactive medium as shown by games like Journey on the PS3, the whole thing has this underlying basis of undeserved childish self important antagonism. "My ideas/thoughts/opinions are better than everyone else's, I don't have to explain it or have facts or examples to back up what I say or why I say it, that's just how it is. If anyone brings facts or examples to counter my argument, I'll just lump them into some quick easy stereotype I've made up or is already available so I don't have to bother thinking. BECAUSE THINKING HURTS MY BRAIN!"

I've gotten more and more disgusted with the video game fanbase having such petty arguments over what is essentially a toy. A toy with great possibilities, but at this point in time it's still a toy since it hasn't been taken completely serious as a medium yet (or maybe never).

I started trying to take up reading instead and I bought a Kindle to help me with that. At least here I don't have to (for the vast majority in relation to video games) deal with this childish non-sense I see that's so pervasive in the community that they haven't grown out of since the days of the Atari/Arcades/NES. I still play video games that I'm interested in, but I try not to talk to anyone about what I play most of the time.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
The Crazy Legs said:
thepyrethatburns said:
My response to Yahtzee would be as follows:

Firstly, journalistic credibility? I know ZP has been very good to you but there's a point in which one starts believing one's own press a little too much. I would argue that nobody uses ZP or the Extra Punctuation columns to determine whether or not they will buy a game.
Hi there. I bought Dead Space 2 thanks to his review about it. I was considering whether or not I should buy it, then I watched his video and I did. And I enjoy it. ... and I'm horribly addicted to it (STOMPING ON DEAD BABIES IS SO MUCH FUN!!!!). Just... keep that in mind, okay? Haven't you ever gone into the comments of the ZP videos and saw someone say, "Well, I'm off to get this game now" or any variation of the phrase? I mean, really? No one but me (and that's still enough to invalidate your arguement) has ever decided to buy a game based on what they heard in Zero or Extra Punctuation? I doubt that.
So, if you decided to buy a beer because you saw a girl wearing a T-shirt with the beer's logo, she would have journalistic credibility? If you see a commercial for McDonald's and get a McRib, that commercial has journalistic credibility?

Fine. I'll dial the "noone has ever bought a game based on a ZP" comment back but, by your own admission, you were already considering buying it. In much the same way you might have been hungry and the commercial came on at the right time, ZP was, at best, a contributing factor to your decision. This does not give either journalistic credibility.

IxHADOUKENxI

Dec 24, 2010
I still don't get why EVERYONE jumps all over the Call of Duty franchise for "releasing the same game very year" when Nintendo have done nothing but this with: Mario, Zelda, Pokémon Etc, but they're allowed to get away with it.

Jesus god I really dislike Nintendo sometimes, I mean sure they sort of Innovated with the Wii and 3Ds but they don't work bloody well enough to really justify them existing
In short.
VALVe ftw..:3