Kid Icarus: Uprising and Hurt Nintendo Fans

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
I agree that they shouldn't have included the stand.

Because the blasted thing isn't nearly useful enough to be worth people using it as the main point for why they think the game is bad.

More people use the stand as a soapbox to stand on than as a support for the blasted handheld!

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
CyricZ said:
itsmeyouidiot said:
It's not so much buyer's remorse as it is about being personally insulted.

If someone calls my mother a whore, I'm not going to suddenly question if she is, because I know she isn't. I am, however, going to punch that person's teeth out, because insulting my mother is insulting me by implication.

The same is true of a game I like. If you attack a game I love to the degree that Yahtzee does, you are essentially bullying me for it. If you were to be polite in criticism, I'd probably disagree respectfully, but since Yahtzee's entire shtick is to be an asshole, I am going to be defensive, because he is attacking.
If you're truly enjoying these games, then you shouldn't *need* to be reaffirmed for your enjoyment by watching a British guy throw insults at it. You *should* be confident in your own opinions and beliefs enough that this one guy can't shake them. The fact that you *aren't* and feel the need to lash out against his character and integrity speaks volumes.
I do sincerely enjoy these games, and I am confident enough that he isn't going to have a chance at affecting that. This isn't about insecurity, this is about the fact that Yahtzee continues to personally insult, directly or otherwise, anyone who doesn't agree with him.

I don't need to be reaffirmed for anything that I enjoy because Yahtzee attacks. If someone calls you a twat for liking something, the appropriate response is to punch his teeth out, not because you're insecure, but because the other guy is an asshole to you.

One of the biggest pieces of bullshit that every kid is fed in grade school is that you should just ignore bullies and they won't bother you. I was bullied my whole life until the end of middle school, and ignoring them didn't do a goddamned thing. Now I know that if someone acts like an asshole, the right thing to do is call them out on it.

The Crazy Legs

Nov 11, 2011
thepyrethatburns said:
The Crazy Legs said:
thepyrethatburns said:
My response to Yahtzee would be as follows:

Firstly, journalistic credibility? I know ZP has been very good to you but there's a point in which one starts believing one's own press a little too much. I would argue that nobody uses ZP or the Extra Punctuation columns to determine whether or not they will buy a game.
Hi there. I bought Dead Space 2 thanks to his review about it. I was considering whether or not I should buy it, then I watched his video and I did. And I enjoy it. ... and I'm horribly addicted to it (STOMPING ON DEAD BABIES IS SO MUCH FUN!!!!). Just... keep that in mind, okay? Haven't you ever gone into the comments of the ZP videos and saw someone say, "Well, I'm off to get this game now" or any variation of the phrase? I mean, really? No one but me (and that's still enough to invalidate your arguement) has ever decided to buy a game based on what they heard in Zero or Extra Punctuation? I doubt that.
So, if you decided to buy a beer because you saw a girl wearing a T-shirt with the beer's logo, she would have journalistic credibility? If you see a commercial for McDonald's and get a McRib, that commercial has journalistic credibility?

Fine. I'll dial the "noone has ever bought a game based on a ZP" comment back but, by your own admission, you were already considering buying it. In much the same way you might have been hungry and the commercial came on at the right time, ZP was, at best, a contributing factor to your decision. This does not give either journalistic credibility.
I suppose your first point has validity (although you are falling victim to a certain logical fallacy), and I accept that. I also accept that, like you said, Yahtzee's review was only a contributing factor in buying my game. But it still helped contribute. It helped me make up my mind about it, so that helps. I'm just going to drop my argument here. This thread already has enough arguments going on without one that's all about beer, McDonald's, and how they relate to Zero Punctuation. (*Sarcasm* Also, McDonald's? What, just because I play Dead Space that means I treat myself to beer and *wretch* MCDONALD's?!)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Jailbird408 said:
Laugh at these comments all you like, but somewhere, somebody based their opinion of KI:U solely on Yahtzee's review. They probably would have liked the game if they got past Yahtzee's ranting.
Yopaz said:
Personally I liked Kid Icarus, but really, the controls were kinda terrible. If only they had taken use of the circle pad they could make it so much better.
THEY. DID. You can customize your controls so the reticle is controlled with the right circle pad.
That IS what you meant, right?
Cool I haven't played around with the options enough then. Thanks for telling me.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
You know, listening to sports radio has made me realize that game fans and sports fans are eerily similar in the amount of idiocy and fanaticism they display.

Must be why EA Sports is able to be a money-printing dynamo dispite changing fuck-all in their games.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
itsmeyouidiot said:
I do sincerely enjoy these games, and I am confident enough that he isn't going to have a chance at affecting that. This isn't about insecurity, this is about the fact that Yahtzee continues to personally insult, directly or otherwise, anyone who doesn't agree with him.

I don't need to be reaffirmed for anything that I enjoy because Yahtzee attacks. If someone calls you a twat for liking something, the appropriate response is to punch his teeth out, not because you're insecure, but because the other guy is an asshole to you.

One of the biggest pieces of bullshit that every kid is fed in grade school is that you should just ignore bullies and they won't bother you. I was bullied my whole life until the end of middle school, and ignoring them didn't do a goddamned thing. Now I know that if someone acts like an asshole, the right thing to do is call them out on it.
Obviously you've learned nothing, because if Yahtzee is truly a bully as you say, then you're giving him exactly what he wants: attention. And the genius of the Internet is that it's actually far easier to avoid "bullies" like Yahtzee (the kind of bully who doesn't even speak directly to their intended target) by not even reading or listening to their criticisms. It's as simple as not even going on the site in this case, or avoiding the topics about it if you're so married to the Escapist.

The worst part is that you're still convinced it's personal, and that's by far the most laughable. Here's an idea. Have you ever given thought to the idea that he's doing so specifically to get a rise out of you all? That's not *good* journalism per se, but it's sure as hell an easy week's column work for a quick jillion views and comments, and all you're doing by complaining and indirectly threatening him with violence (very mature, by the way) is proving him right.

Buretsu said:
OH, so this article was one big joke at Yahtzee's expense. Gotcha.
*sigh* A lot of Yahtzee's humor is hypocritical and self-deprecating. It takes actual contextual reading ability to cut through the treacle and see the message. The message in this article is "I have enjoyed Nintendo. I'm not enjoying them now, and this is why." Tearing each sentence apart to try to fuel your argument is not a good way to debate

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I don't read the comments obsessively, nor am I the target of their ire, so I haven't seen the fanboy bitching you have to go through- it baffles me that there are people who still insist on personal attacks when you raise (I think) reasonable criticisms.

I mean, even when you engaged in a bit of Pokemon bashing (a series of which I am an unapologetic fanboy), the most I could say in response was: "yeah, that's fair, but it doesn't impede my enjoyment of the property, so back to the game."

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
IxHADOUKENxI said:
I still don't get why EVERYONE jumps all over the Call of Duty franchise for "releasing the same game very year" when Nintendo have done nothing but this with: Mario, Zelda, Pokémon Etc, but they're allowed to get away with it.

Jesus god I really dislike Nintendo sometimes, I mean sure they sort of Innovated with the Wii and 3Ds but they don't work bloody well enough to really justify them existing
In short.
VALVe ftw..:3
Because stand alone Mario/Zelda/Metroid games come out at a rate of 1 or 2 per console. You have your Mario Parties, and other Mario games that come out more often, but that isn't the point. RIght now, Mario is their mascot, so why not just use him to make your own golf games or weird party games?

Mario:-------------------------Zelda:-------------------------Metroid:
------N64 - Mario 64-----------------N64 - Ocarina of Time------------N64 - None
------------Dr. Mario 64-------------------Majora's Mask--------------GC - Prime
------GC - Mario Sunshine-----------GC - Windwaker------------------------Echoes:prime 2
------Wii - Mario Galaxy 1-----------------Twilight Princess----------Wii - Corruption:prime 3
------------Mario Galaxy 2-----------Wii - Twilight Princess----------------Other M
-------------------------------------------Skyward Sword
With appearance in Yoshi games.

gadjo

Apr 19, 2012
I have my own reasons to hate uprising; the chief among them the annoying-ass voice actor for pit, and the fact that he always pissed me off in brawl. (you can't defeat me!, OH IT IS ON ************.

gadjo

Apr 19, 2012
The Crazy Legs said:
thepyrethatburns said:
My response to Yahtzee would be as follows:

Firstly, journalistic credibility? I know ZP has been very good to you but there's a point in which one starts believing one's own press a little too much. I would argue that nobody uses ZP or the Extra Punctuation columns to determine whether or not they will buy a game.
Hi there. I bought Dead Space 2 thanks to his review about it. I was considering whether or not I should buy it, then I watched his video and I did. And I enjoy it. ... and I'm horribly addicted to it (STOMPING ON DEAD BABIES IS SO MUCH FUN!!!!). Just... keep that in mind, okay? Haven't you ever gone into the comments of the ZP videos and saw someone say, "Well, I'm off to get this game now" or any variation of the phrase? I mean, really? No one but me (and that's still enough to invalidate your arguement) has ever decided to buy a game based on what they heard in Zero or Extra Punctuation? I doubt that.
Agreed. I based my purchases of just cause 2, Saints row 2, silent hill 2, and painkiller entirely on yahtzee's praise. So far I have yet to regret buying a single one.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Why would you bother replying to fanboys? They won't hear the reply unless it's you showering the game with praise.

I don't know why Nintendo gets these crazed fanboys, I love Metroid but after beating Metroid Other M I wanted to microwave the bloody disc, I knew it was going to be terrible but my friends (fanboys of nintendo) kept yelling to give the game a try. Waste of money.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
The amount of rabidness in this thread is scary. Very scary.

...rabidness is a word right?

Seriously, we're talking about games here people. Less nostalgia-driven mouth-foaming rage-fests please!

Oh who am I kidding. Requesting people to chill in a topic like this is like trying to stop a raging elephant by throwing grapes at it.

gadjo

Apr 19, 2012
BiH-Kira said:
...and secondly insulting me and my journalistic credibility.
I laughed here quite a bit.
So you have the right to insult people calling them twats because they like a game you don't, insulting people who like motion controls and 3D, jet people aren't allowed to say anything back?

And you didn't have and journalistic credibility to begin with. The big majority of you fans watch you only for the humor, and not to see if they should buy the game. Those who do take your review seriously obviously don't know that you blow everything out of proportions and minor problems seem worse than dooms day. You do sometimes have good points, but unless someone actually played the game, he can't know if you exaggerated or if it's true. But usually it's you exaggerating as much as possible.

You called me a twat because I like the game. And this isn't the first time you insult people because they like games you don't like. No, not even don't like. Games you didn't play past the first 3 minutes. And that is especially the case in Nintendo games.

You ranted in the review of Skyward Sword how the controls didn't work, jet they worked perfectly fine unless you wave the Wiimote like a madman. Ya know, swords can't be precise and attack 20 times a second.

No matter how much a Zelda game changes, as long as it's a adventure game with Link, you will keep saying how it's the same game. Do you even know what the word "franchise" means? I don't think it means what you think it means.

Motion controls work find and can add to the game. True, not every game should have them, but Skyward Sword worked perfectly with them. Games like Red Steel 2 wouldn't even exist without motion controls. All the problems that you have with motion controls aren't caused by the controls but by the developer who can't think of anything creative and useful.

In the last video you wasted half a review just to explain how you are NOT against Nintendo and than proceed to bash Nintendo more than the game.

3D jokes aren't funny anymore. The 3D works fine and is actually useful in the game. The 3D has a much wider field of view than you give it credit. You can walk, sit in the bus, even jump and see the 3D without any problems.

The controls are clumsy at first, but you can get easily used to it and you don't need the fucking stand. It seems to me just that people hand coordination is so fucked up that if they ever needed to survive 5 days on their own, 99% of the human population would die because they would kill them self because they couldn't control their hands while keeping a knife in it.
Did you ever tried to just place your pinky finger behind the 3DS? The fixes EVERY problem there is with the controls. EVERY!

Every other problem would be caused by your inability to move different fingers at will. Or if you're a lefty.

Maybe they could have made the controls better, maybe not. It all depends on how you like them. But fact is, they aren't as bad as you make them to be and you can change them. But no, you couldn't make bad jokes if you said that.

Stop trying justifying your bias and just say you're biased and that's it. No one will give a second fuck about it and people will proceed yo laugh at you "reviews".
Ooooh looks like someone pinched a nerve. You do realize that when you make such unfounded attacks it just tells everyone that you have absolutely no tolerance for being told you are wrong? Look, I used to be a Nintendo fanboy. I defended the wii, I attacked the 360 and the PS3 despite their arguably superior games libraries. I even loved (and still do) Smash brothers brawl. But by the time I saw that review I had already lost faith in Nintendo myself. I didn't attack Yahtzee for his opinion, after all brawl takes forever to get into, and all he had was a week. I didn't attack him because I got out of fanboydom. It's not too late for you to escape as well.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
I can see why some people may think that yahtzee has a bias against nintendo, I do not think that he does just that he goes over the top when talking about his displeasure with the company. Ofcourse there are also a lot of nintendo fanboys im huessing due to the fact that many people were rasied playing their products so they feel loyal to the company, I do not blame them for defending what they like. I personally do not blame nintendo for making a lot of the same franchises, I mean why fix what aint broke they have fans and they make money everyone is happy. Its easier to just not get involved.