Kid Icarus: Uprising and Hurt Nintendo Fans

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Revnak said:
Zom-B said:
Warachia said:
SARCASM. DO. YOU. NOT. UNDERSTAND. Seriously, I cannot believe I have had to keep explaining this and how my whole point is being ignored in favor of misunderstanding an obvious joke.
Okay, WHERE in the statement I quoted is it obvious that it was sarcasm and not a Nintendo fanboy defending them? I'm not saying you are, I am saying you left nothing in there to tip me off that that it was not genuine.

Thank you captcha, his response will be my "ear candy". Who makes these things?

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Buretsu said:
Warachia said:
in the end, it boils down to his opinion, which is why it's ridiculous that people would try telling him that his opinion was wrong.
Except, to be fair, Yahtzee called Kid Icarus: Uprising a "shit game for twats" so he's being rather hypocritical.
He's being hypocritical... by saying a game he doesn't like is terrible? Help me out here, because I can't quite follow your logic.

The captcha seems to think you should listen to his arguments again because: "you're not listening"
The machine uprising will start with botchecks on the internet apparently.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Warachia said:
Revnak said:
Zom-B said:
Warachia said:
SARCASM. DO. YOU. NOT. UNDERSTAND. Seriously, I cannot believe I have had to keep explaining this and how my whole point is being ignored in favor of misunderstanding an obvious joke.
Okay, WHERE in the statement I quoted is it obvious that it was sarcasm and not a Nintendo fanboy defending them? I'm not saying you are, I am saying you left nothing in there to tip me off that that it was not genuine.

The opening sentence was a joke. A JOKE. If you had taken the time to read the next page you'd have seen I had already had to explain this to somebody. I cannot believe that people are still honestly taking that sentence seriously. The rest of my comment is hardly even about Yahtzee for fuck's sake, it's about the morons who were assuming that none of the people who played Kid Icarus actually liked it or thought it was good, that they were in denial.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Oh Yahtzee, I disagreed with you but said nothing. You foolish fool, you gave into them.
You gave into them!

min6char

May 3, 2012
I made an account just to say this Yahtzee! Also I'm invigorated by the knowledge that you read comments! Why are you letting this get to you? Fanboys are always gonna whine about bias, the only reason Nintendo fanboys are doing it so much these days is because they have lots of time to, because they've finished Skyward Sword and almost nothing else has come out for the Wii in nearly a year. Seriously. Look at the Wikipedia list of Wii games ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Wii_games ). Nintendo still makes great first party games on their own, but they're too infrequent now, and the third party support for their systems (at least outside of Japan) is just tripe, so fanboys rabidly defend whatever crumbs they get dropped.

That said, the word from most other reviewers is that Kid Icarus is actually ok (not spectacular), although the general consensus is with you on the controls. You might be a little too hard on problematic control schemes, Yahtzee, this was my main disagreement with you on Arkham City (although the rest of your criticisms were totally spot on I think).

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
The Crazy Legs said:
Hi there. I bought Dead Space 2 thanks to his review about it. I was considering whether or not I should buy it, then I watched his video and I did. And I enjoy it. ... and I'm horribly addicted to it (STOMPING ON DEAD BABIES IS SO MUCH FUN!!!!). Just... keep that in mind, okay? Haven't you ever gone into the comments of the ZP videos and saw someone say, "Well, I'm off to get this game now" or any variation of the phrase? I mean, really? No one but me (and that's still enough to invalidate your arguement) has ever decided to buy a game based on what they heard in Zero or Extra Punctuation? I doubt that.
Yeah, seriously.

Yahtzee's negative reviews have often caused me to buy a game. I wouldn't have even known Nier existed if not for Yahtzee hating it, and I certainly wouldn't have given Prince of Persia a try. Or Assassins Creed II. Faffing about is the FUN part of AC. ^^ Or Mass Effect 2 (as a PS3 player, I had no access to ME1). Or more recently LA Noire and Deus Ex.

Or, indeed, Skyrim, Saint's Row 2, and Just Cause 2. Although those were fairly positive reviews. The point still stands.

Yahtzee hates JRPGs. I love them. His points about annoying micromanagement or spiky-haired emo-characters makes me sit up and pay attention, because if he hated something because it reminded him of a JRPG, then I will probably like it.

On the other hand, if he liked something because it was scary or difficult, then I'm probably not buying it. Unless it's a block-pushing puzzle game, but then I'd already bought, played, and beaten Catherine before he reviewed.

Anyway... just wanted to chime in with that.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Revnak said:
Warachia said:

The opening sentence was a joke. A JOKE. If you had taken the time to read the next page you'd have seen I had already had to explain this to somebody. I cannot believe that people are still honestly taking that sentence seriously. The rest of my comment is hardly even about Yahtzee for fuck's sake, it's about the morons who were assuming that none of the people who played Kid Icarus actually liked it or thought it was good, that they were in denial.
See, the problem is that there ARE people who have posted things like that (or even dumber things) and really meant them, another problem is that when you snip somebodies quote, I have no idea what part of my quote or your quote you are referring to, I didn't know if you meant your whole first comment was sarcasm or just the beginning bit, another thing that made me think it wasn't sarcasm was having a genuine bit underneath a sarcastic bit without acknowledging that they are meant to be separate, this is text only, I can't tell tone or intended speech unless they are added, which is why your comment can easily be misinterpreted.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
While I did love Kid Icarus, I did cramp up a few times in that game, and it HURT. I agree with Yahtzee here but it was still fun, and funny.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
gadjo said:
Ooooh looks like someone pinched a nerve. You do realize that when you make such unfounded attacks it just tells everyone that you have absolutely no tolerance for being told you are wrong? Look, I used to be a Nintendo fanboy. I defended the wii, I attacked the 360 and the PS3 despite their arguably superior games libraries. I even loved (and still do) Smash brothers brawl. But by the time I saw that review I had already lost faith in Nintendo myself. I didn't attack Yahtzee for his opinion, after all brawl takes forever to get into, and all he had was a week. I didn't attack him because I got out of fanboydom. It's not too late for you to escape as well.
Sir, for your own sake, I should tell you that "looks like someone pinched a nerve" is barely more respectable a retort than "U mad?" However good your response is, prefacing it with that doesn't do you any favors at all.

And I have to ask: what part of that post are you referring to with the term "unfounded attack"?

lcyw20

Sep 4, 2010
I don't get people who argue against subjective views. There is only merit to argue if the presenter has facts wrong. Then there are also people who get worked up about what they say is "nothing" to them.

On a Young Turks video, Cenk was commenting on how Thomas & Friends was a capitalist wet dream, commenting on it as he had to sit and watch it with his two-year-old daughter, except he called the titular character "Thomas the Train", which is incorrect, both according to the story and in the technical sense. Thomas is locomotive, an engine, specifically, a tank engine. He never was or ever will be a train. He can be PART of a train, coupled to coaches and/or trucks.

A lot of people, including myself, don't see how Cenk thought Thomas & Friends was Capitalist, and we all commented. In my mind, the railway is nearly the farthest mode of transportation from pure capitalism, as it is one of the most economical mode of mass-transportation. If it was a show about private cars, then perhaps.

Back to my original point.

A lot of people, including myself, also pointed out the mistake of calling the character "Thomas the Train". I don't know about the others, but I grew up watching it, it is a part of my earliest childhood memories, and I want to defend it, for lack of a better word. Then this obnoxious (subjective opinion) guy kicks up a fuss about why there are so many people grumbling about getting facts wrong about a children's television show, obviously thinking it trivial. So I countered--twice, asking why he bothers to keep answering back at us commentators, swearing and all, if he finds it so unimportant? He is shooting himself in the foot. With an uzi. I asked him for his busniess card, borrowing one of Yahtzee's earlier jokes--the professional troll. Of course, true to being an internet troll, he threw the insult right back at me. I stayed civil, and posted my last comment, explaining for the last time, why I did what I did, and have him think about the irony of him jumping up and down about something that is suppose to be beneath him.

By the way, Yahtzee, if you see this, you probably have had a lot of people telling you this, but "Gaiden" in "Ninja Gaiden" is pronounced "Guy-den", not "Gay-den". It is Japanese, after all. See your fellow internet game reviewer Angry Video Game Nerd's review on Ninja Gaiden for details. If you have been made painfully aware of this, I apologise for worsening your gamefan-induced headache.

lcyw20

Sep 4, 2010
I find the lack of appreciation for Yahtzee's work despicable. He has a subjective opinion. He express it. He does it in a humourous way, to provide fun to his viewers. In return, he gets bashed for his own feelings, which are neither right or wrong. This guy has put in hours of work every week, trying to think of funny things to say about games, and he does it well. Not everybody will find it funny, but many do. I don't laugh at all the jokes, but I still think the reviews are good. His jokes are just a way of interpreting what he experienced and observed. I think a lot of people out there are taking his jokes too seriously. Just watch, chuckle at his jokes, and move on.

T-Dawg135

Mar 17, 2011
I would like to point out that the stand couldn't have been some last minute edition because nobody realized the controls were bad until it was too late. The exact same control scheme was used in Metroid Prime: Hunters for the DS. They either knew that it was bad all along, or they never realized it. Either way, Nintendo loves peripherals so they decided to include another one.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Revnak said:
Zom-B said:
Warachia said:
Perhaps you don't realize that tone, inflection, facial expressions and all the other non-verbal cues that humans use to denote sarcasm does not translate to text? Oh, OF COURSE you do, because you're so SMART. *rolls eyes*

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Kid Icarus: Uprising and Hurt Nintendo Fans

A man with a hat like Yahtzee can't have biases.

Read Full Article
Ben, Buddy, lemme drop some knowledge on you.

reasoning with fanboys of any flavor, is.not.possible

regardless of your own (rather well stated i might add) opinion all that will matter to those backwards thinking neanderthals is you bashed a game/company they love above all else and well, you know the result

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Yeah, fanboys of any sort cannot be reasoned with. Whatever you have to say about their favorite game, book, sport, or reviewer, it will be seen as an attack, and you will be labeled an idiot, attacker, or fanboy yourself.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Eh... I enjoyed it. And I didn't even need the stand. Granted, my hands got a little cramped after a while, and I had to shake some life into them... Okay, that probably wasn't a very good endorsement. If it's any consolation, I also had fun with Rayman Origins, and I get hand cramps (and high blood pressure) from playing that game. By this point, I've realized that, odds are, Yahtzee is NOT going to like anything I like, and if he does, then it's a rare exception. Besides, isn't he entitled to what he does and doesn't like?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Jailbird408 said:
Laugh at these comments all you like, but somewhere, somebody based their opinion of KI:U solely on Yahtzee's review. They probably would have liked the game if they got past Yahtzee's ranting.
Yopaz said:
Personally I liked Kid Icarus, but really, the controls were kinda terrible. If only they had taken use of the circle pad they could make it so much better.
THEY. DID. You can customize your controls so the reticle is controlled with the right circle pad.
That IS what you meant, right?
Not according to this.

Standing by Kid Icarus' control scheme, Sakurai said his team pushed the 3DS to its limits when developing the game, and that including an option for the Circle Pad Pro was a technical impossibility. Sakurai also stated that offering multiple control schemes would more than likely unbalance its' multiplayer, as the 3DS' stylus allows players to aim more quickly than using a circle pad.
No alternative control schemes using the circle pad pro but you know, Sakurai probably doesn't know what he's talking about. You can use the circle pad pro with the game, but it only does the same as the normal circle pad. There's no option to move with the left and aim with the right. You can move with the left and move with the right. Really, thanks for getting my hopes up there.

SoDaRa

Jan 7, 2009
I just feel like throwing the Art Style series of games on the Wii Shop out there. They're all really good if a bit short, but always innovative in their own way. Heck Cubello used motion controls and it worked out pretty well, and Orbient only used 2 buttons. If you want an innovative game on a Nintendo console, the Art Style games are sure to always be different.