Kid Snorts Ritalin to Maintain Marathon Gaming Session

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Kid Snorts Ritalin to Maintain Marathon Gaming Session

A fifteen year old boy has ended up in the hospital after snorting Ritalin to keep himself awake during a marathon gaming session.

According to a report from TVNZ, the anonymous high school student ended up in hospital after using the drug to keep himself awake while playing Xbox 360 games. According to the kid's dad, he was "white as a sheet and hyperventilating," and had apparently been using a pen nib to snort the crushed Ritalin capsules. Apparently this wasn't the first time the aspiring Tony Montana had abused Ritalin, the boy admitted that he had acquired the drug from a classmate and had been using it for quite some time.

Extremely extended gaming sessions are dangerous enough without throwing restricted narcotics into the mix. Just last week a 20-year-old gamer died of deep vein thrombosis during an extended gaming session [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.304121-DVT-Death-Blamed-on-Excessive-Gaming] and before that there was the Chinese guy who played for three days straight before dying of exhaustion. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107971-Chinese-Dude-Plays-for-Three-Days-Dies] Playing games until you literally keel over dead is not improving anyone's opinion of the hobby, folks.

Thankfully, the kid's dad, who refused to identify himself or his son to the media or the school authorities, wasn't blaming his son's gaming habit for his ... other habit. "Being such a traumatic, emotional experience of thinking my boy was dying, to 'he is snorting drugs,' put me in shock," the father told media. "I had a hundred questions but was too shocked and drained to address them." He went on to add, "If they have Ritalin in their houses it needs to be kept in a secure place," and claimed that a lot of parents think of their kids as "angels", even when the evidence indicates otherwise.

Ritalin or Methylphenidate is a psychostimulant with effects similar to, but less potent than, those of cocaine. Its effect on your gamerscore is currently unknown.

Source: TVNZ [http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/boy-bought-ritalin-stay-awake-and-play-xbox-4340721?ref=rss] via Game Politics [http://gamepolitics.com/2011/08/08/bad-idea-snorting-ritalin-and-xbox-360-gaming]

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Ritalin or Methylphenidate is a psychostimulant with effects similar to, but less potent than, those of cocaine. Its effect on your gamerscore is currently unknown.
This line made me lol quite a bit.

Nooow yeah, the kid overdid it. Hope he learns his lesson and realise how dumb that move is. And his "friend" as well.

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
Here's to hoping the kid is ok.

And here's to thanking the parent for not hopping on the bandwagon and blaming video games.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHHAHA!!!!!!

...BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

...wait,he could've died.
Well shit,now I feel bad for laughing.
I hope he learns that that was a fucking bad idea.
(and that he doesn't make a worse mistake)

P.S. I need to read the whole topic more often.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Well, at least we can fairly say he isn't "casual".

Stimulants and very extended gaming sessions go hand in hand... snorting Ritalin isn't the smartest move, but I cannot say I haven't heard of similar experiences with less dangerous stimulants. Or possibly more dangerous, but with more knowledge about the effects.

NeonWraith

Nov 25, 2008
TheBoulder said:
I want to know how he justified snorting Ritalin.
Snorting it is more efficient than swallowing, as it gets whatever into your bloodstream faster. So that's probably why.

I'm more curious as to what he was playing for that damn long than anything else.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
TheBoulder said:
Honestly, my sympathies are with the kid and his families and all, but come on. Why didnt he just buy some cocaine or do speed? I dont get what advantage he saw in Ritalin over other "uppers". It just sounds weird, someone snorting Ritalin to stay awake.

Just goes to show that legal and illegal drugs are equally harmful, anyway.
I have a great strategy for the kid to stay awake...DRINK SOME FUCKING COFFEE INSTEAD OF SNORTING RITALIN!!!

Like,I don't fucking get it.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Let me guess: he was playing [insert widely popular multiplayer FPS game] around the time it happened.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
I'm pleasantly surprised to see the father not blaming games.

Despite the fact this story comes from New Zealand, there's really no unique twist I can use to make fun of my country, unfortunately.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Grey Carter said:
I lol'd xD
I've played games for a long time, but I usually get up to go to the bathroom, eat something, take mini-breaks.
There are some games I can play for a very very long time, but thats a little insane.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Alphakirby said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
TheBoulder said:
Honestly, my sympathies are with the kid and his families and all, but come on. Why didnt he just buy some cocaine or do speed? I dont get what advantage he saw in Ritalin over other "uppers". It just sounds weird, someone snorting Ritalin to stay awake.

Just goes to show that legal and illegal drugs are equally harmful, anyway.
I have a great strategy for the kid to stay awake...DRINK SOME FUCKING COFFEE INSTEAD OF SNORTING RITALIN!!!

Like,I don't fucking get it.
Do you have any idea what coffee does after 48 hours awake, if you take it enough to be aware enough to actually play competently?

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Snort Ritalin - 50G

Derp, thank god that man didn't begin the 'GAMING DID THIS!' rant.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
mocruz1200 said:
playing video games LIKE A BAWSE!!!!
Like a boss video

Seriously though wouldnt a case of Bawls be cheaper? Though it probably tastes worse.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
while this was indeed very stupid most people do stupid thing when they are 15 and at least this guy has a dad who is well adjusted enough not to jump at the option of being on TV.