Kid's books that are alright.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Alright, I read the occasional children's book. I usually like them.

And I'm not, as you obviously can figure out, talking about things that are 60 pages. I mean novels aimed at children, such as The Sea of Trolls, Redwall, The Tale of Despereaux, Where the Red Fern Grows. Although I do read some shorter books. Anyways, I'm reading a book called The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, a book about a girl introduced by her grandfather to the theories of Charles Darwin.

So. Any kid's books that you can think of that are actually alright?

camokkid

Aug 13, 2009
EDIT:whoops, disregard whatever I have previously said, for I have forgotten that it is not a novel.

[small/]god, I hope nobody saw that.[/small]

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
The Animorphs series by K.A. Applegate are surprisingly good, a late 90's early thousands scifi series that managed to avoid treating its audience as if they are unable to cope with difficult storylines. That said however the final book was just plain weird.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
I love the His Dark Materials series, i.e The Golden Compass for anyone who didn't bother to know there were others. I personally wouldn't consider them kids books, but that's what they're labeled...

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines series was pretty cool. Post apocalyptic steampunk with giant mobile cities chasing each other around and eating each other (Well, breaking them down for fuel and spares).

davidboring

Nov 24, 2007
linkblade91 said:
I love the His Dark Materials series, i.e The Golden Compass for anyone who didn't bother to know there were others. I personally wouldn't consider them kids books, but that's what they're labeled...
Yes to this, yes to all of this. I really, really love these books. I also like 'You're Different And That's Super' by Carson Kressley, A.K.A the intolerable one from Queer Eye For The Straight Guy.

JemJar

Feb 17, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Yaaaaaaaaaaay.

That is a wonderful book.

I have to admit that generally I don't, though I might have to start getting some in French to improve my language. Starting with the entire Asterix collection I think.

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
Depends how you define a 'kids' book. By my own definitions, for older kids I'd choose His Dark Materials, The Edge Chronicles, Artemis Fowl and anything by Darren Shan or Garth Nix. For younger kids, Captain Underpants and the Jiggy McCue books.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Does Harry Potter count? I love those books and remember reading the last one feverishly for two days just to find out the ending before someone spoiled it for me.

Although the 5th one has a nasty habit of PUTTING EVERYTHING HARRY SAYS IN CAPITAL LETTERS.