Killer Instinct Classic Ports the Original to Xbox One

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Killer Instinct Classic Ports the Original to Xbox One

...But only if you buy the "Ultra Edition."

If you're excited about to the new Killer Instinct on Xbox One, there's a good chance your interest is fueled by nostalgia for the original. At the same time, if you're feeling unsure, you're probably driven by those same feelings. Either way, you really liked the original Killer Instinct. Microsoft and developer Double Helix are apparently aware of this, because they're giving fans a chance to go back to the original with, Killer Instinct Classic, a port of the original N64/Arcade title that will be available to players who pick up the upcoming reboot.

KI Classic is only available to players who purchase the game's "Ultra Edition," which gives players access to the game's first set of players, which includes two that will be released after launch. Killer Instinct will allow for a free-to-play model of sorts: Players can download the game and use one character, Jago, for free, and can purchase access to characters a la carte for $4.99 a piece... Or they can get all six launch characters by picking up the "Ultra Edition" for $19.99. According to developer Double Helix, KI Classic will not be sold separately.

"Killer Instinct Classic is a complete port of the original Killer Instinct arcade game, and you can ONLY get it with the Ultra Edition of Killer Instinct," producer Torin Retting told Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/12/killer-instinct-classic-two-versions-arcade-game-wont-sold-separately/#uJwpZjCyw2kAywXB.99].

KI Classic will actually include two versions of the original Killer Instinct. Players can switch between original Arcade edition and a revised version released later, which includes bug fixes and balance tweaks, including a fix for Cinder's infinite combo. Double Helix has also added a training mode visual effects to replicate the scan lines of a CRT TV.

Unfortunately, while the game has some cool features for discerning players, KI Classic will be not feature online multiplayer.

When asked whether Double Helix plans to port Killer Instinct 2, Retting said; "No news for Killer Instinct 2 for Xbox One... yet."

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/12/killer-instinct-classic-two-versions-arcade-game-wont-sold-separately/#uJwpZjCyw2kAywXB.99]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
For anyone interested on the game the Ultra Edition looks like its the best option as it brings the most content per dollar. For anyone only slightly interested in a fighting game maybe just playing with Jago is enough.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I wonder what this means for those of us they are giving the "full game" to for free?

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
Didn't Rare-ware create Killer Instinct? Or was that just the N64 version?
They did.

Honestly, to this day I don't really understand why people loved this series so much. It was one of the worse fighters on the SNES, and the N64, despite the N64 having a very small number of decent fighting games.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Vivi22 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
They did.

Honestly, to this day I don't really understand why people loved this series so much. It was one of the worse fighters on the SNES, and the N64, despite the N64 having a very small number of decent fighting games.
I never really understood it much. Though am not really a fighter fan, there are just always more engaging games out there.
Still hoping that Rare might actually do something worthy for once instead of kinect microsoft-told/paid us so sports

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Indeed. A Classic KI would be worth about $2 on download, $5 if you actually liked the game. The mechanics were horrible.

I wonder how this one plays. Part of me wants to be nostalgic for the old arcade version, and part of me wants something I can enjoy.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
Still hoping that Rare might actually do something worthy for once instead of kinect microsoft-told/paid us so sports
I honestly doubt they will. Most of the people responsible for games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark left a long, long time ago. I honestly doubt they have the talent pool anymore.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Didn't I play killer instinct originally on the super nintendo? That is really the only one i remember and I put hours and hours into that game. Can't same I'm too interested in a remake though. A friend and myself play a game of KI online every now and then so it isn't like I'm hurting for the nostalgia factor.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Orchid's looking good. Loving the new Lara Croft-inspired outfit. Not so much love for the J-pop style theme song though. :/

While I'm still not sold on the X1 itself, I really want this game. Maybe I'll get the game and have it on standby until I get the system to match.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
Vivi22 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
They did.

I never really understood it much. Though am not really a fighter fan, there are just always more engaging games out there.
Agreed - even the once instantly recognizable Rare logo now just looks "token MS Office font #15" completely blending in with all the other text. It would be cool if Rare really got to cut loose with this one, but as stifled as their creativity has been under the umbrella of Microsoft, I can't see the offering as being a must have - aesthetically it looks maybe too much like the most recent Mortal Kombat. Aslo, remember the KI demo at the XB One conference - when his "epic moment" was completely trashing someone who was admitmittedly and visibly not enjoying herself with a fight stick against her controller? :( For some reason that display left a lasting impression on me.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Vivi22 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
They did.

In the arcades it really was something special that provided a 3rd option to the mortal kombat and street fighter cabinets.

The sound design for ki was just masterful and I swear it was one of the loudest arcade games in that its theme and fighting noises (in particular the announcers voice..HYPER COMBO! ULTRA COMBOOOOO!!!!) eclipsed those from other cabinets, making it seem like one of the focal points of an arcade and inviting passers by to spend their quarters...

KingWein22

Jun 4, 2010
I fully remember pumping the quarters in the KI machines just because Street Fighter and MK were getting stale at the time. I remember playing the SNES game as well. The times where you could get near 100+ combo if you did it right with the right character. Hearing the "Narrator" say "Ready" or the kind of "Combo" you pulled..oh that brings me back. I now have an urge to play the games...excuse me...