Killing Floor Review

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
People need to stop comparing Killing Floor to Left 4 Dead. It doesn't work, and it's not fair. It's like comparing Starcraft to Dead Space because they both have a space setting. They're two completely different things, so stop.

Killing Floor is a survival-horror FPS from the guys who brought you (well, not you, because you had the sense not to buy it) Red Orchestra, the game that succeeded in being one of the most realistic games ever and yet was not fun, Tripwire Interactive.

However, Tripwire seems to have gotten the hang of things this time, because Killing Floor isn't that bad. It's a co-op game, which means your level of fun will likely vary depending on how stupid your teammates are, but the game isn't that hard to get the hang of so it's not as infuriating as other co-op games with zombies. Cough.

I'm told that they're not actually zombies, but rather failed military experiments. You'd think the government would know better than to surgically attach chainsaws and rocket launchers onto something that might go wrong.

[small]Gorefast, meet 9 milimeter.[/small]

So, as I was saying. It's a cooperative zombie game- you fight through several "waves" of zombies intermitted by purchasing guns and ammo Counter-Strike style from the Trader, who hides unabashedly while you kill everything. The high point of the game for me was the gunplay. I should have expected it, since it's the only thing Red Orchestra had going for it, but the guns feel and look superb. Every shot gives just the right amount of kick and the models were not lazily done; headshots are especially satisfying. The graphics won't wow you, but the system requirements are low and I wouldn't call them bad. The sound quality is fine, though not particularly impressive either; the game is run on a heavily modified Unreal 2.5 Engine. There's a wide variety of weapons you can buy, though you spend most of your time using the pistol you start with, since the difficulty level is wack.

[small]See how pretty the gun is? See?![/small]

The first level you ward off mostly just Clots, which are your basic zombie looking things which can latch onto you if you let them get too close. The next level you get more variety, with Crawlers and Gorefasts charging at you. If you're lucky enough to make it to the final wave, you'll have to face the Patriarch, an impossibly overpowered specimen who has a rocket launcher/chaingun combo for an arm, and tentacles protruding from his chest. He runs faster than any character in the game, and he can turn invisible whenever he needs to heal.

[small]Shamelessly stolen from GameSpot because I sure wasn't paying attention to screenshotting when he was in my view.[/small]

So, the gunplay is great. The co-op action is good. My only complaints are the difficulty and the poorly designed server browser. Despite my lack of complaints, Killing Floor isn't amazing. The problem lies more within the things that just aren't there, rather than things that are there being bad that leaves this game stuck in mediocrity. It's not particularly addicting, and while it's a cool experience, it's really just not that...fun. It gets repetitive fast and there aren't very many maps. There's bullet-time, which is weird for a multiplayer, and seems to be entered randomly, which can be awkward when you're just faffing about and suddenly enter bullet-time with no enemies in sight. Apparently there are 10 different Specimen, though I can only think of 6 or 7 off the top of my head.

+Some of the most satisfying to shoot guns in a video game; variety of specimen; an actual survival-horror game that works; it's cheap.
-Repetitive; low variety of maps; difficulty curve steeps impossibly by the last wave; in general just nothing that impressive; Left 4 Dead is better.

I know the game came out a while ago, I did this review a while ago too.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Sorry but you lost me on your second paragraph. Specifically:

zombflux said:
...from the guys who brought you (well, not you, because you had the sense not to buy it) Red Orchestra, the game that succeeded in being one of the most realistic games ever and yet was not fun...
After that it was difficult for me to take anything you said seriously.

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
ElephantGuts said:

zombflux said:
...from the guys who brought you (well, not you, because you had the sense not to buy it) Red Orchestra, the game that succeeded in being one of the most realistic games ever and yet was not fun...
loooooooool

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
zombflux said:
ElephantGuts said:

zombflux said:
loooooooool
I would think you've been here long enough to learn better than that, but I guess some people are just slower than others.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
My biggest problem with killing floor is that it when I'm shooting at the monsters it just doesn't feel like I'm shooting them or doing damage.
. ^
and that post is a spy |

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
Not a Spy said:
With the new update there are even more TW maps, and there's countless user made maps that are actually really good. KF-Brewery anyone? There's also a lot more guns and a raised perk cap, which make it easier to get through the waves (not that it was hard before) This brings me to a question: Namely, Why did you not mention the perks system in your review? They make Killing Floor pretty addictive and are a rather important part of gameplay.
You're right, I should have mentioned the Perks, which were cool but I really didn't find them to make the game much more addicting. Although the fact that they slipped my mind probably means I didn't think they were that important to the gameplay. I try not to review updated/patched content, though sometimes by the time I get my hands on a game it's too late, so I'm not sure what version I reviewed. Left 4 Dead, for example, has changed a whole lot since initial release, so much so that most scores would be drastically different between the first version of the game and the latest. While I'm glad most developers care enough to provide patches for their games, I believe in only reviewing the initial release.

ElephantGuts said:
I would think you've been here long enough to learn better than that, but I guess some people are just slower than others.
Sorry, I'm having a hard time taking you seriously 'cause I'm under the impression you think RO was a good game.

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
Not a Spy said:
zombflux said:
Not a Spy said:
With the new update there are even more TW maps, and there's countless user made maps that are actually really good. KF-Brewery anyone? There's also a lot more guns and a raised perk cap, which make it easier to get through the waves (not that it was hard before) This brings me to a question: Namely, Why did you not mention the perks system in your review? They make Killing Floor pretty addictive and are a rather important part of gameplay.
You're right, I should have mentioned the Perks, which were cool but I really didn't find them to make the game much more addicting. Although the fact that they slipped my mind probably means I didn't think they were that important to the gameplay. I try not to review updated/patched content, though sometimes by the time I get my hands on a game it's too late, so I'm not sure what version I reviewed. Left 4 Dead, for example, has changed a whole lot since initial release, so much so that most scores would be drastically different between the first version of the game and the latest. While I'm glad most developers care enough to provide patches for their games, I believe in only reviewing the initial release.

ElephantGuts said:
Sorry, I'm having a hard time taking you seriously 'cause I'm under the impression you think RO was a good game.
You refuse to judge a game based on post release content? (which is free I might add)That doesn't make any sense. While yes, it would have been nice to have all the stuff at release, getting it as incremental updates is cool too, and it shows the dev team cares enough about their fanbase to bother supporting a game they've already sold. If the updates had cost money I would understand, but they are free!

And by the way Red Orchestra has a metacritic score of 81, IGN gave it an 85. So it's clearly not a universally bad game. Maybe you didn't like it but a lot of other people sure as hell do.
I think you misunderstand, I'm fine with reviewing post release content, but I don't and no other game review site changes their scores based on it, and I'm not really talking about content, I'm talking about bugs, exploits, etc. That's called beta testing.

I have a hard time taking a lot of people seriously. That game was wretched.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
zombflux said:
I have a hard time taking a lot of people seriously. That game was wretched.
I think you're having a hard time distinguishing between opinion and fact. The statement that a game is "not fun" or "wretched" is your opinion, and of course you are entitled to that. But Red Orchestra is a very popular game, and has a Metacritic rating of 81. So to brusquely state that Red Orchestra is a bad game, and insinuate that this is a fact and not your opinion, suggests that your opinions are extremist, close-minded, unpopular, and basically just about as "wrong" as an opinion can possibly be.

Consequentially, the average logical reader, after reading such a statement, would regard your following review with great suspicion and disbelief. Which is why I told you that I found it difficult to take you seriously, in the hopes of engaging you in a conversation in which I could share this advice with you. But instead, of course, you responded with the highly unintellectual "loooooooool", something that is not allowed here and for which I am continuing to report you so that you will be punished for the offense and thus able to learn from your mistake.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
I actually really enjoyed it, I would agree with you that it can get repetitive, but with a group of friends it's very easy to burn a few hours. (plus there are 10 specimines, clot, crawler, stalker, gorefest, siren, bloat, scrake, fleshpound, husk and the patriach). Also, the general story is the patriach was human, and the CEO and lead technician of a biogenetics company, and particularly skilled with stem cells. He was commishonned by the UK government to create supersoliers, but during work his son was killed, and the killer was never found. He was driven insane by grief, and tried to clone his son, which turned his work into the design of the clot, the most numourous (the siren was an altered clone of his wife, who threatened to divorse him when she found out he was trying to clone their son, and was ironically killed by a siren). The others were all various military creations, ranging from successes (the stalker being a perfect stealth unit), simi-sucesses (scrake being a field medic impervious to pain, but was unable to learn without being inflicted by the same injuries, and so became obsessed with pain), to full on failures (the fleshpound was deemed a failure due to its' uncontrollable rage, and so was set to be terminated, but when it was being destroyed, it set off its' adrenal pumps, giving it the strength to break free of all its restraints, appart from its hand restraints, and killed all those who were tasked with its destruction)

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Don't kill me, but there is something L4D and Killing Floor have in common. They are both terrible without friends. When I played KF single player, I hated it. It was repetitive, boring, and frustrating. But with friends, it became pretty fucking funny if I do say so myself. We were always screwing with each other, griefing each other and having a great time.

Then again, these are my awesome friends, the ones that could make getting my dick removed at least somewhat entertaining, so perhaps I might be a little biased here.

Good review, agreed with almost all of the points.