Killzone 2 - A Trailer Review by Baby Tea

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Killzone 2 - A Trailer Review

DISCLAIMER: This review is meant to be a joke. It's a joke because I have never played 'Killzone 2' before, and I'm going to basically make up what I know about the game based on the trailer. It isn't a serious review, so if you're a die-hard fan of the game: Just take as the joke it is. Since I never played it, I'm not actually saying anything bad about the game.

As we all know, a book can totally be judged by it's cover. That's the point of the cover, really. To judge. Some say 'to protect pages' or some crap, but really...it's for judgment. It's like knowing that skinny blond girl who wears a tube-top is totally going to put out every time you drop a mad rhyme, or that kid who wears all black is obviously a satanist who kills cats for some ritual. You know it just by looking.

The same can be said for games and their respective trailers. Watch a trailer, judge the game. Really, in this age of trailers, who needs demos at all? But those stuck in the past still whine for a demo and so they are still here. But the rest of us super smart people know: The trailer tells you all you need to know.

And with that, the trailer, or, in this case, the commercial:

First off, we can see the graphics are great. And really, that's the most important part. As long as the graphics are amazing, what else do you need? Especially in this game! I mean, as far as I can tell, it's a simulator for watching bullets take near-impossible trajectories across battlefields. A interesting direction to take the series, to be sure, but will it pay off?

I'm not sure if you can control the bullet itself, though that would totally be awesome. I mean, sure bullets can only turn if you are whipping your gun around as demonstrated in that documentary 'Wanted', but maybe they have special fins or something on them that allows for a change in direction! The Sixaxis controller would be perfect for that! But maybe that's DLC coming later? Who knows? But what I do know is that this game looks like a game for the egg heads.

Even though the graphics are great (Automatically giving it a 8 out of 10), the science of bullet trajectories won't be winning over any traditional shooter fans. Unless, of course, your bullet has regenerating health, a sweet bullet cover system, and can shoot other bullets. If it doesn't do that, it's like...math. And unless you're playing Scorched Earth with a blind guy and lying about where you are so that he shoots himself to make yourself feel better, then math and angles have no place in video games. Even bad-ass super math involving the trajectories of bullets.

And what would multiplayer be like? Try to hit this guy before someone else by getting the right trajectory? Sounds too realistic and too boring. I mean, if I wanted a realistic shooter, I'd be whipping out my copy of Counter Strike. Everyone knows the military used it to train soldiers the art of bunny hopping and running faster with a knife by cutting the air ahead of them. Why even try to compete with that perfection?

So, over all, I gotta pass on this one. Sure the presentation is there, but where is the replay value? They didn't even show the bullet killing the guy! That reality show CSI can show me that! Why can't they? Nuts to this. Unless you're big into the flight path of bullets, move along. I'm sure this will be forgotten quickly.

--Baby Tea

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I like it. Taking apart a commercial is a novel way of looking at a game and I like your humour. So overall a job well done.

mrwoo6

Feb 24, 2009
A nice twist on a game rewiew.i like it.alough dont do this to often or the gimmic will be lost

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Exactly right. You can tell just how awesome this game is going to be by how utterly amazing it looks. You can clearly see that those five years in development were spent right.

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
"Unless, of course, your bullet has regenerating health, a sweet bullet cover system, and can shoot other bullets."

That's a game of the year waiting to happen. I'd rush to the patent office right now.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Graham said:
"Unless, of course, your bullet has regenerating health, a sweet bullet cover system, and can shoot other bullets."
This is the best part of the entire review.
*goes back to calculating bullet trajectories*

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I don't know about you, but I am definitely picking up this game now. I've always wanted to combine my hatred for complex calculations with my love of videogames, thus making me hate doing what I love!

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
DirkGently said:
Exactly right. You can tell just how awesome this game is going to be by how utterly amazing it looks. You can clearly see that those five years in development were spent right.
Hmmm

I wonder how long KZ3 will take ?

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
DirkGently said:
Hmmm

I wonder how long KZ3 will take ?
Probably a few years into the next console generation.

ultimatechance

Dec 24, 2008
wow, i expected to have a quick smile out of this, but i ended up laughing out loud. Really good stuff here.

ultimatechance

Dec 24, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
ultimatechance said:
MaxTheReaper said:
...A game where you control a bullet sounds really fun, actually.
like as a main character, or as a feature in the game?
Like there was in Heavenly Sword, if I recall. You could controll arrows and hit people wherever.
yeah, because it has been done before, and is still being done. Theres even a Wanted game coming out that uses that as a main game mechanic. Jericho also does that, and was actually not that bad either.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Maybe I'm just thick or something but this really isn't funny at all. Watched the trailer, read the review-thing but didn't get a smile, or anything.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Maybe I'm just thick or something but this really isn't funny at all. Watched the trailer, read the review-thing but didn't get a smile, or anything.
Well, thats ok! Not everyone is going to enjoy every type of humor.
Thanks for reading, though!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Pffft, Killzone 2 will obviously suck seeing as (from this trailer at least) it's just a rip off of Korn.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Personally, I think you've completely misread this Baby Tea. Anyone familiar with Hollywood screenwriting will know of the seminal importance of Joseph Campell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" in which he talks about the 'Heroic Journey'. Just as with the character of Luke Skywalker in George Lucas' Star Wars saga, the bullet is the hero of Killzone2. It doesn't matter that Luke is just propelled by events (The Force) and lacks personality, he is the agency that leads to the destruction of the Death Star and the audience is meant to empathize with the plucky rebels facing down the faceless Helgast (sorry, Stormtroopers).

Actually, I am being sarcastic. All that trailer shows is the advertiser's desperation in finding any identifiable original story hook to encapsulate as an inviting "high concept", or any character amongst the cast of the game that would attract potential players to it (like 007, say). Characters are so obviously unforthcoming that someone at the ad agency must have spoken up and said "Hey, let's make the bullet the hero!"

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
WTFROFL
Wanted isnt a documentary and Killzone is better than you lololol XBOX360 noob

Is what I would say if I were a fanboy, but this was pretty funny, admittedly the commercial isnt the best at demonstrating the game but it still looks pretty.