Killzone 2 Getting 3D Update

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Killzone 2 Getting 3D Update

Sony's triple-A shooter Killzone 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Killzone-2-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQBF1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278693096&sr=1-1] will be getting the 3D treatment this summer.

Adding a third dimension to things is all the rage now, and Sony has no plans to be left behind. As well as a firmware update in June for the PS3 which will allow the console to display stereoscopic images; Sony will also update Killzone 2 to be compatible with 3D displays.

The information was revealed in the latest edition of PSN series Qore, and indicated that Killzone 2 alongside Gran Turismo 5 [http://www.amazon.com/WipEout-Online-Game-Code-Playstation-3/dp/B002N2YLDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278693117&sr=1-1] would be 3D compatible.

You will, however, need a 3D capable TV, so not everyone is going to be able to take advantage of this update. It's also worth noting that all the games mentioned are Sony-published titles, with no third-party announced so far. It's still early days however, and that could all change.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/38332/Killzone-2-getting-3D-update]

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Couldn't they have given this kind of treatment to a game that's actually worth playing? Ehhh...

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
If this somehow interferes with the development of Killzone 3, then it's quite unfortunate.
If not, hooray, I guess.

Dec 16, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
Logan Westbrook said:
You will, however, need a 3D capable TV
And how do we know what TV's support 3D or not? I haven't seen any 3D able TV's advertised. Is it a feature or is it simply something that works with every TV that meets some certain requirements?

More information would be nice.
If it means having to wear the glasses, I'm out

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
http://satellite.tmcnet.com/topics/satellite/articles/61391-hdtv-now-53-percent-us-homes.htm

So this time last year 53% of US homes have HDTV, I think by now it is as high as 70%, so great work Sony and others, all these HD-consoles and blu-ray and so many HD channels have convinced the majority to upgrade their SDTVs to expensive high definition version...

"HEY EVERYBODY!"

Who the hell are you?

"I'm a corporate douchebag, here to tell you that WE KNOW you just invested in HDTV thinking that standard would last as long as SDTV (about 50 years), well no you stupid consumers, now only 4 years after popular introduction there is a NEW standard for you to upgrade to to get ThrEeEeEeE DeEeEeEeE! All you have to do is throw that giant expensive HDTV you just bought in the trash and buy an even bigger screen that costs 10x more than the HDTV you bought!"

Fuck... you...

"oh yeah, and this technology is VERY annoying as you have to get the viewing angle and distance JUST RIGHT and even then the picture is a blurry mess and will only appear 3D if you get special glasses"

How much does each pair of glasses cost?

"Oh about $130 per pair, so for a family of five that's an extra $650 and these WILL break"

FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU!!!

"oh and for a significant portion of the population (about 1 in 4) 3D tech gives them headaches yet watching as a group... you can't just take off your glasses or the 3D effect is gone"

I hate 3D so much right now, I hope it dies an embarrassing death.

"oh but Avatar..."

I preferred it in 2D.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
3D is nowhere near developed enough to be a standard yet, particularly with glasses and stuff. Watching something like avatar, which had the biggest budget for anything, ever, even that took a good hour and a half to get used to it. And I've seen it twice, and both times it happened. I'll invest in 10 years or so maybe, when it's a bit more refined.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
Logan Westbrook said:
You will, however, need a 3D capable TV
And how do we know what TV's support 3D or not? I haven't seen any 3D able TV's advertised. Is it a feature or is it simply something that works with every TV that meets some certain requirements?

More information would be nice.
Only the VERY LATEST HDTVs which conform to a certain standard and are VERY expensive are 3D capable. Of and for every person who wants to view 3D on the screen they need special glasses made SPECIFICALLY for that particular screen. There isn't an open standard for the glasses. So of course each electronics manufactures effectively has a monopoly to gouge giant wads of money out of your pocket.

So if you bought a HDTV about 3 months ago only... as far as 3D proponents are concerned you just bought a Dreamcast the day Sega quit the hardware business.

Trust me, 3D is OVER FUCKING HYPED and business wise it is going to Crash and Burn.

In fact anybody dumb enough to fork out for 3D TV is an idiot as the market is going to collapse and they are going to be left with a product that no one is making content for. Like buying a Dreamcast in 2001 only there isn't going to be a lot of 3D homebrew.

BTW, going to 3D is not "free" if makes the games much more "stuttery" (the frame-buffer is overloaded to frame rate must decrease). Killzone 2 already has a critically poor frame rate while Wipeout HD is a travesty if not at 60 frames/sec.

Shooting content in 3D is also a MONUMENTAL hassle and expense but still it hardly adds anything of real significance to the games or movies. it's an effect that at the worst of times is distracting and at the best of times where 3D actually works.. YOU DON'T NOTICE IT!

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Great so the 1% who have tvs for this can play with blurry 3d effect. Wonderful, but at least they are supporting it.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
My appologies to the management for the double post.

Do'h!

Treblaine said:
Only the VERY LATEST HDTVs which conform to a certain standard and are VERY expensive are 3D capable.
I suppose the people with too much money to burn on first-gen 3d TVs are exactly the ones who wasted their money on killzone, no?

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
Killzone 2 would be quite the spectacle in 3D. But I will wait off on getting a 3D tv until they find a way around the ridiculous glasses.

It is fine in the theaters, with over a hundred other people wearing them, but it would just be inconvenient at home.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
brumley53 said:
Didnt they say every game would be 3D?
I hope not, because If I lose my 3D glasses, I'd have to watch black and white blur-o-vision.

Doctor Who, Mario, Alien vs Predator and now 3D, why is everything being recycled like this?