Killzone 2

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
Grand_Poohbah said:
I think it looks pretty good. Still there's that gritty looking graphics that are kind of depressing.
For once that factor is justified.You're fighting on a dark,dirty planet which has been shelled to oblivion.Having lighter colors just wouldn't make sense.

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
It could be good, but I'm kind of smelling a Resistance 2-type of reception. You know, high review scores and the like, but just nothing that makes people care. You know, a character to hang on to. Like them or not, Gears of War has characters that were memorable. So does God of War. And hell, even COD4. But the average gamer probably couldn't tell you one interesting thing about Resistance 2. It's too bad, because the PS3 deserves an awesome, killer FPS. If anything, it deserves one just to push X360 and PC developers to make better games to compete.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Ok here are my thoughts, and I'm going to try to keep my utter burning hatred for Sony nowadays out of it as much as possible.

Personally I "liked" Killzone 1 in the sense that I did not hate it, but after beating the main campaign I saw no point (this was before i had ready access to broadband so Multiplayer was out) in playing it anymore. Plus the ending levels of the game really pissed me off with being both claustrophobic and at times confusing. But I liked it. Despite being ostensibly the brownest game ever to hit a console before Gears of War, the graphics were defined well enough that I never had a problem seeing what I shot at. Of course, the fact the Helghast had decided to put orange hazard lights in their goggles helped a bit. Gameplay was fine although inconsistent at times (what was the point of Luger if you can't really be stealthy?) I also thought the story was done well-enough and while not groundbreaking by any means was still enjoyable overall.

Having said that I think Killzone 2 may suffer from two problems

1. Lack of connection to the first game: Ok yes I know Rico is in your character's squad and Jan now has command of a ship for some reason (which is what i've read although the easier explination is that he's commanding all the ground forces from the ship), all the same there is a chance of the lack of connection since you are essentially playing as a "Raiden".

2. Lack of being truly groundbreaking. Personally I feel that a killer app should present more to me than slightly more defined brown-ness. Then again I'm crazy.

So basically all I'm saying is I'm sure the game will be good. But at the same time I'm also sure it won't be the be-all-end-all, nor will it sway as many people as one would think to get a PS3.

Mar 26, 2008
Looks like just another FPS to me, albeit a damn pretty one.

I think it might be one of those "critic's choice" games that garners high scores but not many people really give a shit about it. If the first one wasn't an over-hyped, barrel full of average it would probably do much better; but I don't consider it a system-mover like MGS4 or LBP.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
*crosses fingers in hope that it will actually god damn sell a million fucking copies in the first week or so it comes out unlike Resistance 2, Valkyria Chronicles, and LittleBigPlanet*

I'm excited for Kilzone 2, and maybe it will give me some worthwhile online. Hopefully it won't fall to the Resistance 2/LittleBigPlanet syndrome of getting high scores but for some reason nobody giving a fuck.

Damn you jaded gamers!

Then again, Killzone 2 is pretty much an FPS. But it's different enough to separate itself from the crowd.

Can't wait to start slaughtering some Helgan assholes!

42manZ

Jun 7, 2008
I have no interest as a PS3 owner in it at all, unless if it does end up being the messiah of gaming. They pulled this shit with Killzone 1, and I doubt it will be too different.
I'm still open to the idea of it being a good game, I'm just no sure.

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
TheBadass said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
I'm probably going to pick it up for two reasons. The PS3 has built in Wi-Fi and free online play unlike my 360... and there are Bots.
Hey, seriously? I think I missed that. Any clue if they're smart or not?

Kinda hope they're not, since I need fodder to make me feel good at online FPS.
They are programmable.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
Why is that soldier on fire? Did he not see the truck that was in flames?

Silly bastard.

Billy_Pilgrim

Aug 6, 2008
Syphonz said:
D_987 said:
It looks great, but the gunplay looks to much like Call of Duty, then again - thats a compliment.
So it plays like an FPS? I don't understand your complaint.
So suddenly all FPS games play the same? I think not.

I remember looking forward to the first game all those years ago, and it turned out to be very underwhelming. Pretty, yes, but underwhelming all the same.

That said, the second instalment looks pretty darn astounding, and if it turns out to be as good as it looks I may have to buy a PS3 sooner than I thought.

Colour me optimistic, though I have no idea why.

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
i don't see whats so great about it. looks a lot like call of duty. but that is a complement. maybe it's because i don't have a ps3 or because i already have lots of shooters.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
Tattaglia said:

Silly bastard.
I thought I'd be the only one to spot that. Hurray for artificial idiocy?
Maybe the AI was so intelligent, he understood his life was meaningless and subject to death at any time by the will of the omnipotent being that is the player. Soon after he jumped into the fire to escape from this terrible world of zones, killing, and killzones. That or his parents were moths.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Eggo said:
Isn't it funny how you can tell how bad the controls are just from that GIF? *sigh*
Wait a minute there. Just *how* were you able to determine that? That GIF just showed someone looking around.
Tattaglia said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Tattaglia said:

Silly bastard.
I thought I'd be the only one to spot that. Hurray for artificial idiocy?
Maybe the AI was so intelligent, he understood his life was meaningless and subject to death at any time by the will of the omnipotent being that is the player. Soon after he jumped into the fire to escape from this terrible world of zones, killing, and killzones. That or his parents were moths.
Scripted event perhaps?

EDIT:
Are the graphics as good as what was shown a few years back in the first trailer?