Killzone 2

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
That gif. Is there any game on console that can match anything of that? That is probably the best looking game that will be released for any console as of now. Looks fun to judging from the videos. I will be getting this without question. Looks action packed and I like the design, the atmosphere and the animations really are unmatched. This game is PC worthy.

Silly consoles... If it was on PC it would be better. Mouse-Keyboard and even better graphics. Maybe even better multiplayer. Well it probably would have better multiplayer.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Eggo said:
When it comes to accurate and quick combinatorial two-dimensional navigation, an analog joystick (or sixaxis) are both really inferior to a mouse. This is why I bring up the web browser question; there is no actual difference in terms of user interface paradigm between using Firefox (or whatever desktop internet browser you use) and playing a first person shooter.

So, as I've asked before, do you use a joystick to navigate around Firefox?
How many games do you play with Firefox?

This doesn't mean the control scheme is more fun, it just means it is easier to use. Which it is. I've played console shooters where the controls didn't feel clunky and difficult, and some people I'm sure prefer that method. I don't, but maybe some people like the challenge, or honestly think it is more comfortable to them.

Plus, Firefox is not a simulated 3D environment, and you're not (hopefully) clicking on links over and over and swinging your mouse wildly around the screen unless you're having some sort of conniption fit.

Additionally, how is an animated GIF in any way representative of the actual gameplay or graphics or, really, anything? Sure it is a well-done gif, but it's still a gif. This question goes to both people who use it to tout the superiority of the game AND people who think it shows the game's weaknesses.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
Codgo said:
WickedSkin said:
That gif. Is there any game on console that can match anything of that? That is probably the best looking game that will be released for any console as of now. Looks fun to judging from the videos. I will be getting this without question. Looks action packed and I like the design, the atmosphere and the animations really are unmatched. This game is PC worthy.

Silly consoles... If it was on PC it would be better. Mouse-Keyboard and even better graphics. Maybe even better multiplayer. Well it probably would have better multiplayer.
Yup, these exclusive games are such a kick in the balls. It does look like alot of fun, its a shame that MS and Sony insist on the console wars and not sharing the love.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Why not make Sonysoft Windows so we all could enjoy any of those games with mouse and keyboard. Would make MP matches even more intense.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
WickedSkin said:
That gif. Is there any game on console that can match anything of that? That is probably the best looking game that will be released for any console as of now.
Not according to David Cage, Kazunori Yamauchi, Chris Balestra and David Jaffe.
Well yeah their games are looking really impressive.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Eggo said:
I...I'm sorry, I was too busy gawking at your god damn Yahtzee avatar! You have gone fully over to the dark side! REPENT! REPENT!! (psst, this means you win)

Richard Groovy Pants said:
Killzone is not a new beast. It's nothing new.
At least it doesn't show nothing new, I'll wait to see if it does when I play it at my neighbours house.
From Eurogamer;

Eurogamer said:
Taken as a whole, Killzone 2 doesn't initially seem to offer enough to justify the superlatives that have been dutifully set aside by the PS3 faithful. Despite the often-stunning graphics, it's often derivative of other titles and doesn't - on the surface - seem to have much that distinguishes it from the herd.

It's deceptive though. This is a methodical shooter that makes few concessions to those not already interested in its single-minded approach to cover-based military action. I've compared it to Rainbow Six in the past, but it also calls to mind F.E.A.R, another tough tactical effort that was often misunderstood by those expecting a frag-happy spook hunt. Killzone 2 is a taut and muscular game, a shooter that gives back more than you put in, provided you have the intestinal fortitude. It may take its time revealing its true depths and pleasures, but the journey is well worth taking. Between Killzone 2's unforgiving grit and Resistance 2's alien-bursting excess, the PS3 finally has both ends of the shooter spectrum covered in grand style.
This is just what the person thinks though. I'm not counting entirely on him, but it does make some sense considering what I've seen from Killzone 2. Then again, that's just from what I've seen...

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Eggo said:
Quite a few, actually. [http://www.kongregate.com/]

And last I checked, I'm not alone. But that's not the primary point I'm making, although this ancillary point only supports my view even more!
They are great, aren't they? [http://www.jayisgames.com]

Sorry, my point is not games you play IN Firefox, but that browsing the internet isn't a game. Not really the important part of my argument, but I wish more people would take the online flash game community seriously. There is a lot that is done there.

The aiming component in FPS games, just like the HID component in navigating a modern desktop internet browser (along with OS) is 2D. In terms of user interface analysis, they are extremely similar.
As far as pointing at things and clicking on things, sure. But your character doesn't stand in one spot, he traverses through a simulated three dimensional world. moving through a browser uses only one device at a time, either clicking or scrolling, or typing in an address. A 3d first person shooter relies on two simultaneous devices to navigate, constantly. I know I don't take my hand off the keyboard to shoot, or take my hand off the mouse when I am running through the world. Additionally, there is no penalty on the internet for poor dexterity. If you don't click on a website in a certain time frame it doesn't close down the browser and make you start over. Nothing while browsing can be based on reflexes.

Read the thread.
OK, I guess I missed it, I'll go back again.

EDIT: Oh, OK, I see what you're getting at about the movement. I kinda skipped that part because it was already pretty obvious. I will, however, say that Metroid Prime had the most fluid movements of any controller, even a mouse, although that's partly my fault because I'm jumpy when I play FPS's. It has a really nice analog smoothing of the motion that is the only time FPS gaming has felt natural on a console.

flare09

Aug 6, 2008
Well it has to be better than the first one. I know it was a while ago when it came out, but looking back on it now... I asked myself "what the hell was I thinking? That game sucked!"

However, I don't have a PS3. So I won't be playing it. Even though I would like to at least try it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Indigo_Dingo said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Tattaglia said:
Why is that soldier on fire? Did he not see the truck that was in flames?

Silly bastard.
I thought I'd be the only one to spot that. Hurray for artificial idiocy?
Isn't it more likely he was standing next to the object before it burst into flames?
Well, it's POSSIBLE, sure. Is it more likely? Call me jaded, but I'm thinking no.

Jumplion said:
The console-field is much more equal. On the PC front, you'll always have that bastard who shelled out $100 to get that damn extra sensitive and comfortable mouse control, so now it's not even anymore!

Cheater!
I imagine you haven't seen some of the crazy aftermarket controllers that consoles have? Let's face it- console gaming may somewhat reduce the gap between the haves and the have-nots, but it won't ever close it completely.

scnj said:
While I don't wanna add flames to the debate, I've always found FPS games easier to play with a controller than a mouse and keyboard setup. And I know all the PC elitists think I'm wrong, but I don't care because I like what I like.
As a default member of the "PC Elitist Club" (the bums still haven't sent me my membership card or taught me the secret handshake), I have to say: That's fine. Go with what's more comfortable for you.

Personally, I would love to be able to use an analog controller stick for movement and a mouse for aiming. That would be pretty freakin' sweet.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
That looks like a nice set-piece. Not so many years ago now this woulda been the realm of FMV, not reatime gaming. :)

Whether or not it's something as elusive and amorphous as a "good game", it certainly looks like an experience. :)