Kim Dotcom Launches New Zealand's Internet Party

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Kim Dotcom Launches New Zealand's Internet Party

Dotcom's open to working with anyone, except the National Party, instigators of a Nazi smear campaign.

Kim Dotcom, whose US extradition is still a very real possibility, has formally launched his Internet Party [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131298-Kim-Dotcom-Forms-Megaparty-To-Activate-NZs-Internet-Electorate]. New Zealand's next general election is in September, and Dotcom believes he'll have no problem getting the 500 members - each paying $1.29 for a three year membership - the party will need to stand in the election. In order to get into parliament, the Internet Party will need either to win an electoral seat or secure 5% of the vote. Dotcom claims that at least one current member of parliament will be willing to join the Internet Party, but he hasn't named the MP. At least three other sitting MPs are said to be very interested in joining the Internet Party.

Dotcom says he'll be willing to work with any political party, except the National Party, led by current PM John Key [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119829-New-Zealand-Prime-Minister-Apologizes-to-Kim-Dotcom]. Dotcom blames the National Party for what he describes as a "disgusting smear campaign," in which Dotcom has been called a Nazi sympathiser because he owns a rare signed copy of Mein Kampf. The smear campaign also claims Dotcom has a Nazi flag hanging in his basement. "That is completely false. It's a lie." Dotcom refused to go into any detail at the launch event, saying he wanted to concentrate on the party's launch and call for members.

The Internet Party says it will give New Zealand "faster, cheaper internet, create high-tech jobs, protect your privacy and safeguard our independence." Internet connectivity costs will be cut 50%, and mass surveillance of New Zealanders by the government will be stopped. It also wants to create a New Zealand cryptocurrency, and the first person to join the Internet Party - party secretary Anna Sutherland - used Bitcoin to pay her membership fee.

It's been a busy few days for Dotcom, who announced earlier this week that his company risen from the ashes of Megaupload [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/25/kim-dotcom-mega-listing-new-zealand-stock-exchange] - will be listed on the New Zealand stock exchange, at a projected value of NZ$210 million ($181.7 million). Dotcom isn't listed as a shareholder or director, but he is named as principle strategist. His wife holds a 26% stake, through a trust.

Source: Stuff.co.nz [http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/9873341/Launch-day-for-Kim-Dotcoms-Internet-Party]

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
This man is a wild card, not sure to cheer him or on just look on nervously? But I hope this goes well and he achieves something genuinely good from all of this.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Chaosritter said:
I wonder if he has ever heard of the Pirate Party, they have pretty much the same goals.
Considering his current legal issues that may not be the best name to get public support under even if their platforms are closely aligned.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
He had me up until he started with his Nazi Smear Campaign paranoia.

One would think someone who owns a major internet based system would know what a troll is.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
Jaeger_CDN said:
Chaosritter said:
I wonder if he has ever heard of the Pirate Party, they have pretty much the same goals.
Considering his current legal issues that may not be the best name to get public support under even if their platforms are closely aligned.
this is true , if he gains to much support i have no doubt that some backroom deals will get his extradition approved in no time at all.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
My prediction is its going to be like the Pirate Party. get elected and then do fuck all about it.

Then again, im not sure if thats even legal. NZ laws may be different. Here if you are currently being prosecuted, you are not allowed to be in elections. you can be part of a party, so i guess so far its ok, he just cant be elected.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Abomination said:

One would think someone who owns a major internet based system would know what a troll is.
What's paranoid about taking offence that a major political party in the country has tried to thwart your attempts to get into politics by inventing claims about you that you are a Nazi sympathiser?

This isn't 'trolling', it's a serious attempt by another political party to prevent him entering the political sphere, by spreading rumours to decrease his chances of votes.

Sure, it is a standard affair in politics to attempt smears like this to destroy public images of opponents, but it would look a hell of a lot worse if he had no response to the claims. So of course he should deny them.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Ubiquitous Duck said:
Abomination said:

What's paranoid about taking offence that a major political party in the country has tried to thwart your attempts to get into politics by inventing claims about you that you are a Nazi sympathiser?

This isn't 'trolling', it's a serious attempt by another political party to prevent him entering the political sphere, by spreading rumours to decrease his chances of votes.

Sure, it is a standard affair in politics to attempt smears like this to destroy public images of opponents, but it would look a hell of a lot worse if he had no response to the claims. So of course he should deny them.
If you're going to take offense at a smear campaign then you'd best make sure you're claiming those responsible are actually responsible.

Some rumors started by nobodies on the internet doesn't mean they're tied to any particular political organization.

He's a fat German with a lot of money and influence. It's not difficult to see the parallels someone could draw between that and Nazi leanings. Not to say he is a Nazi, but you wouldn't need a political funded campaign to convince a few people to say it.

That's the paranoia. He's seeing conspiracy where there is none.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Just because *YOU* label someone as "paranoid" doesn't mean there isn't REALLY a conspiracy going on.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Neta said:
Just because *YOU* label someone as "paranoid" doesn't mean there isn't REALLY a conspiracy going on.
That sword does cut both ways, and in this case all we have is people trolling Kim Dot Com, but there's no evidence of any link to political backing.

While there could be one happening there presently is nothing to indicate there is. Short of questioning the anonymous trolls themselves there's no way to disprove it either.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Why not, seems like a cool set of policies. I'd vote for that. Of course, it helps to know anything about other aspects of the country, and were I in New Zealand, I'd want to know what the policies on the environment and immigration, etc., were.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
TopazFusion said:
I'll eat my WW2 German helmet if he gets 5% of the vote.
You'd better.

I'd vote for him just for flavour. Hell, I'd even considering joining his party.