Kim Jong Il has died....

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
<youtube=6YMPAH67f4o>

I just had to.

Eusebius

Jun 13, 2011
A comedy YouTube memorial to him.

Also, his birth was foretold by a swallow and a double-rainbow, according to NK propaganda.

Memoriae

Mar 7, 2010
Ldude893 said:
Andothul said:
And it begins....

Homefront anyone?
Doubt it. The idea of South Korea uniting with North Korea without hesitation (as the plot of Homefront started) is absurd.

I was playing Fallout 3 when my mother told me the news. Jebus Christ, what now.
I don't think it was without hesitation, can't remember clearly, but I think it was at something like 2016 that they decided to unify.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Wooo, gettin' my world news fix from the Escapist.

I wonder what's next. I doubt his successor was raised in a humbling and loving environment.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
anthony87 said:
I dunno, since when has someones death managed to shut up the Internet?

See?
You win this thread!

---

I heard about this on my 1am break this morning. This has been a really good year for dead dictators, hasn't it? Bin Laden wasn't really a dictator I guess but he, Gadaffi and, now Il?! Jeeze, this was a really big fuck-you year to evil doers.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
CulixCupric said:
yeah, i heard about this earlier. I had/have nothing against him, and even though people didn't like him, he was/is still a person, and his death was/is unnecessary, even if it was by train wreck. death needs to be avoided, and no one should get to decide who lives or dies, for there are always unseen circumstances, and we do not know the wheel of fates. I think this world might have been better if he didn't die, because the next ruler of North Korea could be worse, and Kim was doing a good job, the entire country was stable, and in good working order, it was efficient. people may have seen him as a tyrant, but he was just keeping things running efficiently.
You're either woefully ignorant of what's been happening in N.Korea, or you've been listening to way too much propaganda. A nation of poverty and oppression is far from what I'd call "efficient."

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
I'm just worried about who's going to replace him. Will he be better? will he be worse? It is his son that's replacing him, so there's a good chance things could get worse, but until we find out how things go, hell I could stand to feel a little relieved that there's one less despot in the world.

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
I stopped paying attention to Korea since.... Well I have yet to pay attention to them. So I hardly care.

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
Tom Artingstall said:
One less lunatic in the world to make memes out of. And because somebody had to say it...

It'll be ronery this Christmas.
Isn't the new one in charge supposed to be twice as batshit insane as he was?

One loss, one gain I suppose.

Feb 13, 2008
Interesting that when Christopher Hitchen goes, then "God takes all the good ones"; but when Kim-Possibre goes then "Satan reclaims his own".

God doesn't get much of a good press these days, does he?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Bin Laden
Ghaddafi
Kim Jon Il
Still time for Mugabe to kick the bucket before the years out. *fingers crossed*

Good news that an insane dictator is gone. But I'm not sure about how it will turn out for North Korea. I mean his son might be just as insane as him (which we will see on how direct his dad's funeral) and the military aren't much better if they decide to get themselves into a position of more power.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
North Korea is a beautiful country, yet its people live under a bizarre Stalinist reality distortion field. Singing merry songs about their dear leader while starving to death, put very bluntly.

Kim Jong Il being dead is a wonderful thing, for what he shaped North Korea to look like and be is sad and scary.

Trouble is, no-one has any clue as to how Kim Jong Un will roll from here on... even though he's supposedly a bit more of a multilingual cosmopolitan type, pictures of him don't exactly make him look like a very friendly or sympathetic fellow.

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/18374/Kim-Jong-R_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg

MCGT

Sep 27, 2008
SillyBear said:
Apparently his son is even worse. But I really don't care. North Korea fails to scare me in any way, shape or form. "Meh" sums up my opinions here - I'm really only concerned for the safety of South Koreans - but even if it did come to war South Korea and allies would wipe the floor with the idiots.
Yeah but the big worry is what if China gets involved like it did last time, and the massive shitstorm that could lead to.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
2011 - Bad year for tyrants and assholes all over.

Here's hoping Il's son Un "The Great Successor" isn't a complete asshat.

But since I know next to literally nothing about the lad I'm not holding on to hope on that.

I have tenants that recently fled North Korea this year. And apparently they are tickled pink.

Headdrivehardscrew said:
Trouble is, no-one has any clue as to how Kim Jong Un will roll from here on... even though he's supposedly a bit more of a multilingual cosmopolitan type, pictures of him don't exactly make him look like a very friendly or sympathetic fellow.
Does smoking Malborough's and drinking beer make you cosmopolitan? LMAO

I'm having a Val Kilmer flashback

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I am rather saddened that Christopher Hitchens never got to see (and more importantly, comment) on this piece of news. It was always a pleasure to hear him crack jokes about Kim Jong Il and the rest of DPRK.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Tonight... a Communist died in Pyongyang.
As others said before me... one less lunatic on this planet.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
I've been waiting for this day for quite a while. Now that it's here, I'm not sure how to feel.

I know you shouldn't really celebrate someones death. Maybe I didn't even want Kim Jong-Il dead, maybe I just wanted him gone. What I know for a fact is that I want the people of North Korea to be happy, and that wasn't going to happen with Kim Jong-Il as their leader. Problem is that I doubt his son is any better.

Real change can't come unless the people revolt. Here's hoping that they someday will.