(Kind of Late) Inception Discussion

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Spoilers obviously. What did you think of the ending? Do you think he's in reality or not?

At the end, Cobb's kids seem to be the same age and are seemingly wearing the same clothes as they were in his memory of them, is it proof he's still dreaming?

Was Saito truly powerful enough to make one phone call and end Cobb's problems or was that just Cobb in limbo projecting his subconscious wish to go home?

Also he walks away from the totem at the end, does this mean that he doesn't care if it's reality or not and he just wants to be with his children, in whatever place he can be with them? That emotional connection and desire is ?reality? enough for him.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Yes.

The music, which had been filled with off-key discordant accents all the way through the dream sections, finally resolves itself into a pure, unbroken 4-chord repetition.

That to me symbolised finally letting go of the past and coming back to real life.

If I was a lady I would have Hanz Zimmer's babies.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
I'm still not quite sure if he could be in one of the first layers of dreams. His totem sure took it's precious time to start wobbling.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Since he made the soundtrack for The Rock, the greatest movie ever, I'll probably be agreeing with this disturbing quote.

OT: I don't know and, to be honest, care.

Really. Not to rain on your parade, if you liked the movie, that's fine, I liked it too, but the story didn't get me involved enough to actually care about the outcome.

If pressed to answer, he's not in a dream.

Also, put (SPOILERS) in the title.

Gaz6231

Nov 1, 2010
I can't remember most of the details (having seen it only once, shortly after release), but the fact that the kids looked exactly the same as he remembered them was my main factor for not quite believing he was back in the real world. Having said that, the musical cues and the wobble had me firmly on the real-life side of the fence.

I do remember sitting in the theatre just willing that little spinny top to topple.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Michael Caine said in an interview that it's real. His character is never, ever in the dreams so the ending is the real world

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Aiddon said:
Michael Caine said in an interview that it's real. His character is never, ever in the dreams so the ending is the real world
Michael Caine is on my list of 'Awesome guys who are always right', along with Iron Maiden, Stephen Fry and Lemmy Kilminster.

And anyway, the idea of it still being a dream seems annoying and douchey.

Darkgoosey666

Jul 18, 2010
Strangely i just saw this film last night, ( pirated but i have pre ordered the blu ray, it deserves it) and wanted to talk about it, so great thread XD

I think there is enough evidence to support both sides, leaving it up to us to decide. i like to think its reality, as that is the happy ending i think he deserves.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I think it could go either way. I was genuinely aggravated when I first saw the ending. I believe they left it open for interpretation, but I don't think whether or not it was a dream in the end was the point. He walked away from the totem before he got the answer, meaning he doesn't care if it was or not. He was just ready to accept an ending, whatever it might be.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Maybe the whole thing was an elaborately orchestrated extraction of something from Cobb's mind by....................JUNO!

BelfastSpartan

Oct 5, 2010
I looked up a bit about this after I watched it a few days ago.

Apparently the clothes of his children are very similar but definitely different according to one of the crew members.

Also when Cobb(can't remember the names...is he di craprio?) is dreaming he is wearing a wedding ring, when in reality he's not wearing a ring.
At the end he is not wearing a ring.

So I think he's in reality

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Since he made the soundtrack for The Rock, the greatest movie ever, I'll probably be agreeing with this disturbing quote.

OT: I don't know and, to be honest, care.

Really. Not to rain on your parade, if you liked the movie, that's fine, I liked it too, but the story didn't get me involved enough to actually care about the outcome.

If pressed to answer, he's not in a dream.

Also, put (SPOILERS) in the title.
Not if I get my vagina transplant first you 2 won't!

I agree here. For all the technical brilliance the movie left me cold. I'm a huge movie fan but I just wasn't moved that much. There were times in the hotel/van/gravity scenes when my jaw literally dropped but just a few minutes later I felt kinda annoyed at the pure dry material and over explanatory acting.

Good movie, but not a great masterpiece. Music was by FAR the best thing, it carried a lot of the film and gave it the delicious athmosphere.