Kinect Causes Trouble for Viewers During Xbox One Reveal

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Kinect Causes Trouble for Viewers During Xbox One Reveal

Viewers watching the Xbox One reveal on their Xbox 360s were unpleasantly surprised when their active Kinects began responding to commands from the presentation.

Microsoft's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124210-The-Baby-Has-A-Name-Xbox-One>Xbox One reveal event was viewed by countless gaming enthusiasts eager for a peek at the company's offering for the next generation of consoles. While many opted to simply stream the event online, many others took to their Xbox 360's where the reveal was granted a special spot on the system's dashboard. For some viewers however, watching on their 360s wound up being more a liability than a convenience.

Several viewers sporting 360s with connected Kinects discovered the device was responding to commands being spoken by Microsoft representatives during the live stream. Responses to the commands varied from the video being paused to the console itself being shut down. While some users found the unexpected error to be amusing, others were annoyed. "When the guy on the #XboxReveal stream said "Xbox Live" it activated my Kinect and killed the stream," Tweeted viewer Jason Chen. "Good thinking guys."

In the midst of a show touting a new, more integral version of the Kinect, the live stream command errors could serve as an unintentional demonstration of some of the potential pitfalls of relying on voice command that can literally shut down your console with the correct phrase. Granted, Microsoft's conference showed off new ways this technology can enhance gaming and viewing experiences. That being the case, Microsoft is definitely going to want to demonstrate, and thoroughly, that this sort of issue won't be a concern going forward. Kinect for Xbox One is already looking vastly more impressive than the original version, but it would be a shame to find out your Xbox experiences could still be disrupted with a few misplaced words.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353010/kinect-trouble-xbox-one-reveal>Polygon

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Another reason why mandatory Kinect is a no-no. Just imagine some asshole running into the room and yelling "Xbox off!" and losing all your progress.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
This is hilarious, and very amusing. I still don't understand where Microsoft is coming from with all this reliance on the kinect. A addon to the 360 that has failed to make ANY GAME. AT ALL. Work better in any respect.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Tenmar said:
Or the guy with a loud enough voice to give commands during a multi-player match.
Hmmm would that be the equivalent of a suicide attack? I doubt his own xbox would escape unscathed.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
This is just overdoing it. Next news - xbox one prototype unit devours orphan child, bloody pentagram found on unit motherboard.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Oh the pranks that this suggests are juicy. Hid a phone near the mic, sit in another room and wait for the most exciting bit in the game to come.

Lumzdas

Mar 14, 2011
Tenmar said:
Genocidicles said:
Tenmar said:
Or the guy with a loud enough voice to give commands during a multi-player match.
Hmmm would that be the equivalent of a suicide attack? I doubt his own xbox would escape unscathed.
Sound proof padding. Very easy to create a noise isolation environment for your own microphones.
But then how would others be able to hear you if you isolate your microphone?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Jove said:
Genocidicles said:
Another reason why mandatory Kinect is a no-no. Just imagine some asshole running into the room and yelling "Xbox off!" and losing all your progress.
Even worse, imagine this:

Playing multiplayer on Xbox live like COD, Halo or whatever, some dick on the microphone shouts really loudly "XBOX, OFF!". All the xboxes in that match (unless he was muted by. Player or two) get turned off thus, everyone d/cs...

Actually, that would be really funny. XD cruel, but still.
I was thinking the exact same thing. This is a huge oversight and it's caused primarily by the fact that Kinect has to be on all the time.

But to be fair to Microsoft, the Kinect has an audio tuner and you can disable voice commands entirely if you want to as far as I know.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Jove said:
Genocidicles said:

Playing multiplayer on Xbox live like COD, Halo or whatever, some dick on the microphone shouts really loudly "XBOX, OFF!". All the xboxes in that match (unless he was muted by. Player or two) get turned off thus, everyone d/cs...

It would also turn off his own xbox since as you know he cannot disable the command on his end, and also your assuming the others aren't using headsets...

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Couldn't my housemates conceivably walk into my room at any moment and shut down my xbox mid playthrough? That's a pretty serious possibility.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Jove said:
RicoADF said:
Jove said:
Genocidicles said:

It would also turn off his own xbox since as you know he cannot disable the command on his end, and also your assuming the others aren't using headsets...
Yeah but if say that person was losing in the match, instead of just him rage quitting, he could just shout out xbox off and everybody has to suffer because of his loss.

Ah but here is the kicker, what if Microsoft decides to not include any headsets in the new Xbox? What if they decided to just use the kinect as the microphone!? Come on, even I admit it's possible and they might be stupid enough to do that lol.
Honestly I HOPE they do that, anyone dumb enough to get the XBone after all that's come out deserves that happening to them, and the stories on forums would be worth it too. Heh the first console thats more fun for outsiders to watch than the players to use.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008

This whole ordeal is just bringing me so much joy. Keep going Microsoft. Keep going.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
HA! I had completely forgotten about the voice controls used for current Kinect. The stream wouldn't work well on my PC so I had to watch using my 360. Luckily, I don't own a Kinect so no errors for me. Microsoft really, really shouldn't have done this show. It would have been a dick move but a better solution would have just been to show the console and a count-down to E3.