Kinect Causes Trouble for Viewers During Xbox One Reveal

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
That's really funny. Awesome article that I'll immediatley send out the link to for people I know would enjoy the story.

"Kinect, Initialize harddrive!"

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Can i just say, by the sounds of things, with kinnect 2.0 your voice is programmed to your account, so therefore other people's voice patterns wouldn't be able to control your xbox while you are logged in... not the same obviously for kinnect1 hence the problems, however... that is if it works as it sounds. Sorry to fuck with peoples trolling fun.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Another reason why mandatory Kinect is a no-no. Just imagine some asshole running into the room and yelling "Xbox off!" and losing all your progress.
But...The CLOUD! CLOOOOOUD!

Tenmar said:
But think of the ability to grief! I mean imagine the power Microsoft wants to give your spouse saying you had enough without actually trying to turn off the console. Or the guy with a loud enough voice to give commands during a multi-player match.

It's fucking genius!
The other day, I yawned on XBL while my friend had his headset off. When he picked it back up he said he could hear it across the room.

I'm actually wondering if I could power down his console now. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

...Not that I'd do it. I'm just curious.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Frotality said:
well good to see the public is becoming aware of why the kinect is a bad idea no matter how good the technology gets. control works better when you can actually control it: some asshole little brother might try to reach over and press some buttons, but for the most part you have complete control over a controller, and more importantly your hands; voice and limbs far less so. no matter how precise voice and motion sensors get, humans are still going to shout and gesture as a reaction and potentially fuck up their game, or anyone in the background can do the same.

as little thought and action should go into controlling a game as possible. that is the goal of the kinect yet it ironically achieves the opposite. moving around to mimic a screen and yelling are unnatural and disconnecting experiences, but pressing buttons and keys is thoughtless and instinctive because our hands and fingers are made to have a whole range of precise motion that is natural to use; however precise the kinect is at reading motion and voice, our fingers are much more precise at reading our minds.

tl;dr: action flows from thought, not from another less controlled action, and thus is the critical conceptual flaw of the kinect no matter how accurate it gets.
The short version: You can still press the wrong button by accident.

Sorry, but I think you're misinterpreting your "learned" knowledge as fully natural I assume you learned how to use keyboards or typing skills at a fairly young age(toddler/teens/young adult) but like the saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" it's grows more difficult to learn new skills after a certain point after you reach your prime. If someone was raised in isolation and was only taught hand signs and sign language and their instructors never spoke a word wrote or read anything that wasn't a series of hand sign symbols or images then the kids would be far more adept at that than most others who didn't learn that as a first "language" So with enough refining Voice Commands could become second nature Ala Iron Man( Tony Stark and Jarvis ) but a key requirement for that would be a way better A.I. and Voice recognition

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
But...The CLOUD! CLOOOOOUD!
The way they talk about that thing it sounds like some omniscient, cybernetic super-god that'll ascent humanity to a higher plane of gaming.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
You know a way this could really easily be avoided? Put a button on the controller that you have to hold, in order for voice commands to be heard. That way, there's no worry about un-wanted voice commands. And if you don't like that idea, just put an option into the system to either disable this feature, or turn off voice commands entirely.

Boom. You're welcome Microsoft, I just solved one of your mountain of problems.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
my god that is one of the most hilarious things ive ever seen.... besides the xbox one reveal that is

Dr. Mongo

Oct 31, 2011
This is such a sad sad story, yet I cannot stop laughing.
Is it even possible to make this presentation even more ridiculous?

(I'm guessing: yes. Let's wait for E3. Don't forget the popcorn.)

Could someone take the shovels of Micro$oft? They really do not need these to dig themselves deeper.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
WWmelb said:
Can i just say, by the sounds of things, with kinnect 2.0 your voice is programmed to your account, so therefore other people's voice patterns wouldn't be able to control your xbox while you are logged in... not the same obviously for kinnect1 hence the problems, however... that is if it works as it sounds. Sorry to fuck with peoples trolling fun.
I was going to point that as out well. Since you beat me too it I'll play devil's advocate and wonder if it's actually going to be that good or if they're Molyneuxing like a lot of the rest of the conference seems to be.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Oh god. I hope they made it so kinect doesn't do that anymore. But if they enhanced the sensor, as they said they did, I think it's only going to get worse.

Sheesh. Microsoft really has a hole to climb out of now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Genocidicles said:
The way they talk about that thing it sounds like some omniscient, cybernetic super-god that'll ascent humanity to a higher plane of gaming.
My suspicion about this is basically what Kathleen of LRR said on Checkpoint a while back (though I'd been saying it for a while). They're banking on you not knowing what the cloud is, and maybe they don't even know themselves.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
And because of all of the potential greifing that could take place. Users of the new Xbone will shut off all voice commands on their new Xbone.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
UnnDunn said:
The people experiencing problems should perform the audio calibration routine. This lets Kinect take an audio profile of the room, identifying where all the speakers are. Kinect is designed to ignore audio coming out of the speakers.
That may be true, however:
A) As this has shown alot of people don't know technology (trust me I work in IT support and alot of people are utterly useless with tech).
B) Even if it's not the system itself that causes the wrong commands,this is just an example of the fundamental flaw of the concept, the wrong word/words and the system can start mucking up misinterpreting what you want it to do. It's a games console for christ sake, people usually have split screen games, lan games and/or parties around them. It's not hard to tell these wont work as well in the real world as in the controlled MS executive offices.

As much as this stuff looks great in sci-fi it just doesn't work in real life.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Cue a thousand YouTube trolls putting "XBox Off" somewhere in the middle of their videos...

Tactyk

Mar 18, 2010
I see a lot of fun loudly talking to Best Buy employees about the Xbox Dashboard while people are playing with it. ^_^

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
THIS is news? Wow. Yeah, my kinect responded to some of the things that were said during the conference, too, but I just UNPLUGGED IT. To make an issue out of this is ridiculous.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
you say: "Let's watch a movie on my new XBox! Turn off the lights!"

console hears: "XBox, turn off."

granted, i've never actually used a kinect, but i feel like that would be a potential problem. reaally looking forward to finding out though, as the XBone might be the first console I get at release.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Riff Moonraker said:
THIS is news? Wow. Yeah, my kinect responded to some of the things that were said during the conference, too, but I just UNPLUGGED IT. To make an issue out of this is ridiculous.
Isn't the XBone supposed to have a mandatory always-on Kinect? So yeah, there ya go, no more unplugging.