Kinect Causes Trouble for Viewers During Xbox One Reveal

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
this reminds me when i fist played SOCOM with the headset. you could give commands via a mic but every time i would play my brother would wait for the perfect moment during a hectic firefight and when i tried to issue a command he would yell "THROW FRAG GRENADE". needless to say, this completely ruined the experience to where i stopped using the mic completely (that and if somebody was talking during a command it would do something completely random)

voice activated commands are ok if they only respond to the voice of the profile playing, otherwise it is subject to all sorts of shenanigans. every new piece of info about the xbox one is making me swing more and more back into the playstation camp

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
They said in one of the smaller one on one media gatherings, that the new Kinect can recognize your voice and differ it from other people and background noise. I'm assuming it will have a voice lock feature.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
This just gets better and better.

At this point, unless the kinect has some really cracking good voice recognition protocols, like I mean knows the difference between you and your twin brother good, gaming with this thing is going to be sooooo stressful.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Dexter111 said:
Genocidicles said:
Another reason why mandatory Kinect is a no-no. Just imagine some asshole running into the room and yelling "Xbox off!" and losing all your progress.
Or you know, you could intend to watch Television on it, since apparently that is what it's for now:

Wow, that... that is horrible.

Why did they think this was a good idea again?

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Oh Microsoft, they have been showing how trolling is done lately!
OH GOD WHAT THE HELL KILL IT WITH FIRE. Welp sleeping is overrated I think I'm giving it up now -_-

OT: Oh this is gold, I haven't laughed this hard since all 3 of the display 360s at my local wallmart RRoD-ed

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
It's amusing when voice commands work in this manner.

Of course, though, this just shows the impracticality of voice commands in the first place. Sometimes, sci-fi innovations should remain fantasy rather than reality, because they turn out to be more of a hindrance than a help.

Thanks, Microsoft, for failing in every possible way.

Chubbs99

Dec 29, 2009
I'm wondering how much of this "source" was just a grab for attention. I happen to have a kinect, right in front of my TV too. I am one of those ones that streamed the reveal via the 360. Not once during the video did Kinect even open up the prompt for the command, however it was telling me to wave to active the motion detection, but you don't need it to see you to use its voice commands.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, cause I'm sure under some circumstances the video could have done some random things... However getting the Xbox to power off? Yeah... I'd love to know what command was given for that, cause I'm pretty sure as much as I'd wish there was one, there isn't one.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
This is just amazing. My entire day gets made every time I vist the News room for more of this. Microsoft, please don't stop. PLEASE. I am laughing my ass off right now. Between this failure and that EA Exec saying Xbone and PS4 are generations ahead of the PC, I am just having a jolly good ol time here. All this almost makes me feel that even if the industry crashes, it'll be worth it because it'll go out with such a hilarious bang.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Lord_Gremlin said:
This is just overdoing it. Next news - xbox one prototype unit devours orphan child, bloody pentagram found on unit motherboard.
Black metal listening engineer rejoices; "I taught it well" he says

OT: That's absolutely hilarious! XD You'd think Microsoft would've made a disabling script for that stream or recommended turning off your Kinect somehow before proceeding.

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
I just thought of something. The Xbox Durango comes with a controller, right? But the Kinect will be always on. So, if your playing a game using the controller, the Xbox will be on and so will the Kinect. Remember the LAST time both the controller and Kinect were used simultaneously during gameplay?...
Crap, don't know how to copy images onto my post.
It's Steel Battalion Heavy Armour, alright?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so, basically, if i were to watch a movie on my Xbone the audio in the movie woudl be able to shut down my Xbone? Logic where are thou?

Tenmar said:
Genocidicles said:
Another reason why mandatory Kinect is a no-no. Just imagine some asshole running into the room and yelling "Xbox off!" and losing all your progress.
But think of the ability to grief! I mean imagine the power Microsoft wants to give your spouse saying you had enough without actually trying to turn off the console. Or the guy with a loud enough voice to give commands during a multi-player match.

It's fucking genius!
Anyone that gives spouses the ability to magically turn off your game should be stoned to death.
them ultiplayer one can actually be more abuse. like say a guy hacked his kinect to ignore any voice commands. thne goes on a public voice (for enemy team to hear) and shouts "Xbox off", bam ,your enemy team disconnects.

Lord_Gremlin said:
This is just overdoing it. Next news - xbox one prototype unit devours orphan child, bloody pentagram found on unit motherboard.
well, the speed it is going i wouldnt be surprised if somoen did it as a prank.

RicoADF said:
It would also turn off his own xbox since as you know he cannot disable the command on his end, and also your assuming the others aren't using headsets...
well, you can awlays crack its software to fail to do anything (crash) and thne troll others.

YodaUnleashed said:
Couldn't my housemates conceivably walk into my room at any moment and shut down my xbox mid playthrough? That's a pretty serious possibility.
a mate could come in "hey did you turn off the dishwasher?" and bam the console is off. well played MS.

rofltehcat said:
It is not just about griefing, it is also about socializing. Imagine you're sitting on your couch with some friends and play but one wrong word might shut down the console (or just tab out with the new tabbing stuff they are so proud of). So all you could do is play the game without talking about stuff. And of course people will want to talk about the game, the new console, the old console or just completely unrelated stuff that might be misinterpreted by the box.

If something wrong is said while the box is in standby, the people around it might not even notice it. Especially with the skype support they're so proud of...
not having to say certain words can be dealt with. but what if our native language is not english. if we spoke lithuanian in front of the console, how would it try to interpret these words? sure it has to ahve broad enouh interpretation to account for all american accents and such, so its very likely it would mistake lithuanian for A LOT of commands. and we dont even know what.

UnnDunn said:
The people experiencing problems should perform the audio calibration routine. This lets Kinect take an audio profile of the room, identifying where all the speakers are. Kinect is designed to ignore audio coming out of the speakers.
thats the thing. the only technology piece ever that managed to at least somewhat decently ignore its own audio source was skype. the old skype, where you simply could not broadcast anything by putting your mic next to speaker. all other software fails to do that so far. beign designed to ignore its own audio is not the same as able to do that.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Strazdas said:
YodaUnleashed said:
Couldn't my housemates conceivably walk into my room at any moment and shut down my xbox mid playthrough? That's a pretty serious possibility.
a mate could come in "hey did you turn off the dishwasher?" and bam the console is off. well played MS.
Actually I believe the conversation would go between mother and son (or partner/friend to player)

"So when are you going to turn that XBOX OFF and have dinner.... oh"

*person gets killed by player since they were about to finally beat the boss after all day of trying*

We all know that story is on its way :)

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
This whole Xbox One ordeal isn't just one train wreck, it's one train wreck after another.

And I'm loving every second of it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
YodaUnleashed said:
Actually I believe the conversation would go between mother and son (or partner/friend to player)

"So when are you going to turn that XBOX OFF and have dinner.... oh"

*person gets killed by player since they were about to finally beat the boss after all day of trying*

We all know that story is on its way :)
in this case at least they actually talked about turning it off. in my case it woudl jut innterpret nonrelated talk as command. which is worse.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
maybe being able to tell the kinect to only take voice commands from a headset would be a good idea?