Kinect Plus Night-Vision Goggles Equals Crazy Headtrip

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kinect Plus Night-Vision Goggles Equals Crazy Headtrip

Microsoft's hands-free controller also doubles as a freaky-deaky high-tech disco ball - you just can't see it in action without the right equipment.

Whether you're interested in Microsoft's new Kinect peripheral or not, you have to admit that there's some pretty cool technology in that little black camera-bar-thing. It's not without or two [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-network/2187-Room-to-Grow], but it can do nifty things in what it's able to recognize.

Apparently, Kinect can also cast a sweet-looking galactic light show across your game space - you just can't see it. Videos on YouTube have surfaced of what happens when you look at a darkened room where Kinect is operational through some means of viewing light on the infrared level, whether with a special infrared camera or with came with the Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7nRKU0nFxA].

One of the many cameras in the Kinect bar apparently casts a sea of thousands and thousands of tiny pinpricks of light across its operable space. It looks like a microcosmic starfield in your living room - or, alternatively, what a disco ball might look like in the future.

Is this useful information? No, not really. But I'll be damned if it's not just kind of cool.

My god, it's full of stars...

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/05/kinect-night-vision-goggles-video/])

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES! But in all seriousness, that is pretty goshdarn cool.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
well I guess that one way of finding if you have enough room (space) to use Kinect

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
I like this, it's pretty neat.

"Welcome to my rave! Please remember this isn't a rave until you wear THESE goggles due to lights coming from my kinect. I sincerely apologize if my kinect mistakes your dancing for an attmpt to play though it should be fun to see the character on screen flopping around like a fish!"

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Well at least now we can know the line of vision of the Kinect when Microsoft is watching you at night.

Yeah. Now try and rest easy tonight when you're sent down to sleep on the couch.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
The Kinect just rose about 1.5 coolness notches in my book.

Granted, I'll still probably never buy one, but still cool, none the less.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
It's nice to know that this guy's MW2 Prestige edition didn't go to waste. Pretty cool. I do have to wonder why this is one of the first things he tried, did he get bored already?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Of course with the knowledge that you can fix your digital camera to see infrared [http://www.diyphotography.net/take_infrared_pictures_with_digital_camera_ir_filter] I am willing to bet there will be more of this to come.

Sparkly!

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
You know those turrets in Portal with the laser sights? Kinect has like 200 of them built into it.

"Are you still there?"

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
That's awesome. So Kinect uses a lot of infrared dots to scan you.

Question is: Would it be cooler if it used a grid?

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I have those MW2 NVGs. I'll have to try this at a friends house sometimes.

Side note: The NVGs do actually work, and were worth it. While wearing them, I shot my friend in the back of the head with a Roman Candle on the Forth of July.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Duuuuuuude.
Deep man, deep.

This does prove that the bloody thing is completely useless, you just need night vision goggles.
They really should put something like that in a disclamer or something.