Kinect Price Drops to $110

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Kinect Price Drops to $110

Every region except for Europe and Japan will see a Kinect price cut.

If you live in Europe or Japan, you might want to take a deep breath before you read this news. Trust me, it will help when you have to exhale through gritted teeth. The Kinect has been out for a while now, so giving it a price drop makes both financial and marketing sense. Effective immediately, Microsoft has done just that in the United States. Instead of its customary $150, Microsoft's motion control peripheral now retails for $110 [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298] in the U.S. with similar price drops coming to other territories. Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Japan, however, are flat out of luck, as the price will stay firmly in place for the time being.

The announcement came by way of Larry Hryb (better known as Xbox Live's Major Nelson) on his professional blog. In addition to the U.S. price cut, Hryb promised lower Kinect prices in the Asia Pacific, Latin America, and non-U.S. North America regions, with similar measures to follow in Australia and New Zealand. However, the reduced prices won't match $110 exactly. "The final retail price will vary in each region based on the currency and other variables," he explained.

The downside, of course, is that the EMEA and Japan regions will have to endure the Kinect's higher price for the time being. Japanese patrons should not find this too difficult as Xbox 360s are about as common as hen's teeth in the Land of the Rising Sun, but European consumers might balk at being one of the few regions excluded from Microsoft's plan. On the other hand, they did get Pandora's Tower [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora's_Tower], so maybe we can call this one a draw.

Source: Major Nelson's Blog [http://majornelson.com/2012/08/22/kinect-price-drop/]

Iyon

Recovering Lurker
May 16, 2012
While this might be good news for some people, it doesn't really change anything for me. It isn't the price that's keeping me from buying it. It's the lack of decent games that make good use of it.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh boy, being in Europe this price drop has me raging with the white-hot...rage of a thousand suns! Anything else I say about this...abominable policy of price drop would have me banned for the internet forever!

[sub]I know I really shouldn't have to point this out, but you never know sometimes, so yes that was sarcasm. [/sub]

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
In other news... No one is interested because it is common knowledge that the game lineup is completely insufficient to justify a 100$ add on.

Honestly, I think MS would have done so much better with this and kept this in development (edit: do a few things like decrease the range) until the next console, add it as a standard part of the console, and spent the last 2 years and next year allowing the developers free time to fully experiement with it and come out the gate swinging with it, instead of the whimper it has been for the last year.

MS I am disappoint.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
So ... is kinect actually useful on the xbox360 yet?
Or is it still something you plug into a PC to make miku miku dance machinimas with?

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
I still think I would rather smash my face against my keyboard to play games than use the kinnect, at least with the PS move and wii you can give some input. I will still not be buying this attachment, I would much rather spend my money on games than lay down a $110 for this, (I spent a $110 on the steam sales and got almost 20 great indie games, and good AAA games, hell I bought all the halflife games for $10)

Draxz

May 2, 2012
If it came down to $80, then it might actually be a worthy investment...

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Lo and behold...it's still not enough to make me want it.
If yelling Skyrim's Dragon Shouts at the screen didn't entice me enough to buy a Kinect, nothing will. Sorry Microsoft.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
No decent games that are dedicated for the Kinect, and the rest of normal games where you can just yell out commands (Do you have any idea how fucking awkward it is to have an intimate conversation with Garrus when the Kinect is so far away, you actually have to yell the lines out in ME3) is disgustingly gimmicky. Like attaching 3D to Thor after it had finished filming with no intention of actually making it in 3D.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Marshall Honorof said:
On the other hand, they did get Pandora's Tower [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora's_Tower], so maybe we can call this one a draw.
Nope. Europe one this one.

While I can't say that I'm upset about the price drop, I still wonder how much more potential the SDK for the Kinect has. I know one of the things I'm reading about is replacing larger and more expensive medical technology involved with diagnosis of joint injuries with the Kinect, but I haven't heard much on that in a while.

I could probably use it as a security system or spyware device with little to no work.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Why would someone buy a peripheral that has no good games for it. If it cost $20, people aren't going to buy it if they can't use it. That is the most basic need for a product to be successful, it needs to have a purpose. And as a gamer, as of right now, it doesn't have a purpose. It's already got a pretty big install base, but there is nothing there for gamers.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Wait wait, shh. Be quiet. Listen to that, you hear that? ... That's the sound of no one giving a fuck. Price was never the big obstacle keeping Kinect from being a big hit. If it was worth owning, people would have bought it at it's previous price. The reality is that they could drop the price to $20 and a lot of people STILL wouldn't buy it simply because there's really no reason to own one.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
You know, I bet parents are gonna go for this, not more knowledgeable gamers. I've seen tons of parents go for the 360 and the Kinect just because they have kids who like to jump around and do random shit.
You know, like they'd do at the park or something.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Actually, in the UK, Morrisons recently had an offer on Kinect of £65, don't know how or why, but I'm hoping it gets repeated, as I'd grab one for that price.

They're going 'preowned' for £50, but I'd just prefer a new one with a year's warranty.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Yay, I still don't give two craps about Kinect! Seriously, isn't it pretty much the EyeToy from the PS2?