Kinect Takes Aim at Halo: Anniversary

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Kinect Takes Aim at Halo: Anniversary

Microsoft's revamp of the original Halo will add a control feature Bungie never dreamed of at launch.

Players of revamp [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Combat-Evolved-Anniversary-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYY5E/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1308672881&sr=1-2] of Bungie's first Halo game, might not all be tethered to their chairs. In abnormal fashion for the typical FPS gamer, some might be bopping about the room too. Microsoft has revealed that in addition to a total visual overhaul, Halo: Anniversary will also be getting Kinect support.

While talking about Kinect, Microsoft Game Studios' Phil Spencer told GameSpot: "Even games like Halo Anniversary have Kinect integration." Pretty cut and dry right there.

He didn't elaborate, so there aren't any details about what we'll be able to do in Halo: Anniversary with the help of Kinect. Development on the feature may still be early. It'll be interesting to see if a game like Halo can be fully controlled, accurately, simply with Kinect, or if it'll just be used as a way to throw grenades and jump.

343 responded to the announcement with a post [http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/14/p/9669/78761.aspx#78761] on Halo Waypoint forums, assuring players that Kinect support would be fully optional. "Just to let everybody know, the Kinect features we're exploring with Halo: Anniversary are optional and won't affect your core gameplay experience," the post says.

Kinect's ability to deliver in a hardcore experience like Halo remains questionable, but come late 2011 we may know what it can do. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary will be released on November 15.

Source: 1up [http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6320281/interview-with-phil-spencer]

XcessGAMR

Dec 20, 2007
I wish people would lay of kinect a little, it's an awesome idea still in its infancy, and as long as, as they say, its an optional extra I have no problem with more kinect integration in my core games.

Anything that gives them more time to practice and experiment with the device is a good idea in my book. The more time they have with it the sooner kinect can get into it's stride I think.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I'm not sure how this will work but I'm interested. Hey, it's going to be optional so worst case scenario is you just don't use something that you wouldn't have had anyway.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm not sure whether I should feel sorry for Halo fans or just laugh at them.

With any luck it will be optional or completely unnecessary, like that business with ME3.

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
Kinect integration: Now you too, can buy a 100 dollar microphone for the purpose of yelling awkward, mishandled voice commands!

The Kinect has proven that it becomes a neat piece of technology the less it has to do with video games. I can't think of a way that this could be of any benefit to the game. (The good news is, I don't own a Kinect and I cant imagine a situation that results in me buying any new halo content).

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I dont see how kinect could do anything that was useful at all in halo

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Bah, the Kinect is not that bad. There is zero chance this game will be kinect required. So why not let the devs play with the controls a little bit, experiment, trial and error on incidental things like this so that some day in the future we might actually see a good gaming justification for Kinect.

Its not like its hurting anyone.

KedynCrow

Sep 23, 2009
+1 for the "Let's give the developers some leeway on the Kinect experience."

Things will never get better if we continue to dismiss Kinect games as shite from the very get go. And let's face it, if we let the technology stagnate, then we'll never get to full-immersion motion control suites. And then there'll be no holographic video-game opuses for anyone!

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Zhukov said:
I'm not sure whether I should feel sorry for Halo fans or just laugh at them.

With any luck it will be optional or completely unnecessary, like that business with ME3.
Why not both? "You silly Halo fans and your creative, optional new ways of playing games! Hahaha! Boy, do I pity you and your ability to choose how to play!"

Sorry, my sarcasm unit is in overdrive today. I see nothing laughable about optional control schemes, and though I doubt Halo's integration will be AS awesome as ME3's, it has cool potential.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
"Just to let everybody know, the Kinect features we're exploring with Halo: Anniversary are optional and won't affect your core gameplay experience,"
The one redeeming feature of this news. Stupid idea, but you don't have to use it.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Can't people read? THIS IS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL!

If you want to play with a controller...YOU CAN. If you want to play with the Kinect sensor...YOU CAN!

Sheesh!

I still i can't wait for it, this has not affected my decision at all.

Demonicdan

Dec 8, 2010
Oh joy, what a great way to prove your commitment to standing fans. I shouldn't be suprised, 343 is a branch of microsoft so future titles will surely include support for every other gimmick that microsoft creates.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
I wish Microsoft would stop pushing the Kinect so damn hard, the people that want it already have it. I want my hardcore games, give me my Mass Effect, Call Of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed etc and leave Kinect for the casual / party games. 19 years a normal controller has worked fine for me, I see no reason why I should change now. Besides, all the talk about immersion is bulls*it, the guy playing Ghost Recon punched into the air to zoom in, how on earth is that immersive?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
KedynCrow said:
+1 for the "Let's give the developers some leeway on the Kinect experience."

Things will never get better if we continue to dismiss Kinect games as shite from the very get go. And let's face it, if we let the technology stagnate, then we'll never get to full-immersion motion control suites. And then there'll be no holographic video-game opuses for anyone!
^This, 100% this.

Everyone really calm down.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
I'm aware it's optional, but I'll ask the same question that I asked when Minecraft was announced with Kinect support: HOW DO YOU MOVE AROUND?!