"King Thor" Appears In Upcoming Thor Annual

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
"King Thor" Appears In Upcoming Thor Annual

Three creative teams are crafting three versions of Thor for the upcoming Thor Annual #1.

Remember that bit in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/8398-Thor-The-Dark-World>Thor: The Dark World where Odin offers to make his son king, but Thor turns it down? That was a fairly predictable choice... but wouldn't it be cool to see Thor actually on the throne? Thankfully it's something comic book fans don't have to imagine - "King Thor" will be the subject of one of three stories featured in this month's Thor Annual #1.

Written by Jason Aaron with art from Timothy Truman, one of Thor Annual's tales shows a future where Thor rules Asgard. His granddaughters, the "Girls of Thunder", seek the perfect present for his birthday but it will be a doozy - a new Garden of Eden. It's not clear whether King Thor will fit into the character's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/12923-January-2015-s-Top-20-Comic-Books>current ongoing series or if this is an off-the-cuff "What If" experiment. But even if that's the case, that image of an aging Thor with a missing eye is an intriguing visual.

King Thor's birthday isn't the only featured story - Thor Annual also includes exploits from his past. Wrestling artist CM Punk and Chew artist Rob Gullory pits the young Thor against Mephisto in a no-holds barred drinking contest. Meanwhile, Lumberjanes Noelle Stevenson and Sensational Comics Marguerite Sauvage focus on the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136159-Thor-Is-Getting-Gender-Flipped-Officially>present day female Thor and her first meeting with the Asgardian Warriors Three.

Thor Annual #1 can be purchased from comic book stories everywhere Feb. 25, 2015 for $4.99. That's a fair value for three standalone Thor stories, and a nice way to dip into the series if <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/12923-January-2015-s-Top-20-Comic-Books>you haven't been following monthly issues.

[gallery=3764]

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
King Thor and his granddaughters already featured prominently in the previous "Thor" arc. They are not new or a one shot

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
So have we just forgotten that Thor was the king of Asgard for most of J. Michael Strazynski's run a few years back?

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Yeah, for like all of Jason Aaron's run right up until the re-launch with the new female Thor, they've made it clear that in the Future old man Thor is King of Asgard (which, uhh... does kinda have implications for the current Thor but ho-hum)

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Vivi22 said:
So have we just forgotten that Thor was the king of Asgard for most of J. Michael Strazynski's run a few years back?

Wow, I actually forgot all about that until you've mentioned it. It was.....kinda neat I guess but he seemed all too eager to dump the job on Balder and then they did the whole exile/give up the Odinpower thing just to pretend the whole thing never happened. So yeah...wasn't really a fan.

On another note always wondered what was up with the whole one eye thing. Like is there absolutely no one in a world full of super powerful immortal gods can heal/replace a lost eye? Personally I've never thought it really added anything from a visual standpoint, especially since the people with said eyepatch rarely fights and when they do the missing eye doesn't seem to affect them at all, so I don't really see the point.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Tiamattt said:
On another note always wondered what was up with the whole one eye thing. Like is there absolutely no one in a world full of super powerful immortal gods can heal/replace a lost eye? Personally I've never thought it really added anything from a visual standpoint, especially since the people with said eyepatch rarely fights and when they do the missing eye doesn't seem to affect them at all, so I don't really see the point.
There's kindof a good reason for that, in old mythology Odin gave up an eye for great wisdom so even if he could grow it back (and in the old myths he couldn't cos they were more like Super Soldiers who f*cked around all the time), it'd probably default him on the great wisdom dealy.

I got no idea why Old Thor only has one eye. Just because?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I really need to pick up the 'Lumberjanes' but it's not out in book form yet... I'm not hard-core enough to collect annuals.

Also, CM Punks an artist? That guys sounds like a pretty legit fella.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Tiamattt said:
On another note always wondered what was up with the whole one eye thing. Like is there absolutely no one in a world full of super powerful immortal gods can heal/replace a lost eye?
At current canon Thor (or "Thorr Odinson" as he is going to be from now on due to the female replacment) is missing 4/5ths of his right arm and has a robotic replacement.

So I would guess they cannot replace body part's (At least with orgianc parts).

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
This is one of the books that I dropped from my regular buy list. I'm not a fan of the story Jason Aaron is trying to tell and from flipping through Thor #4 recently, I think I made the right choice.

This is how much I am over the current crop of Marvel titles:

Marvel Buy List
Amazing Spider-Man - Stuck with this through Superior Spider-Man arc, dropped since I can no longer stand Dan Slot.
Dare Devil - Still buy. Wade/Samnee run coming to an end soon however?
Thor - Dropped. Mystery Vagina Thor is not my thing.
Captain America - Dropped. Entire story has been shit since the end of the Dimension Z arc. Rick Remender continues to fail to deliver.
All Avengers Titles - Dropped. Fuck that. Really, how many Avengers titles do we need? I can't even keep shit straight. Go to hell marvel.
Moon Knight - Dropped after Warren Ellis was replaced by Brian Wood. (Is this still going on?)

I was also randomly picking up Hawkeye, but then that went all Kate-weird on us and then petered out. I tried out the new Ms. Marvel - it's boring and uninspired. Tried out the new Squirrel Girl (I have always had a soft spot for Doreen, loved her fight with Wolverine in the Avengers not too far back) but the art and story is Tumblr-tier. Doreen often looks like she's got downs syndrome and seems to live in a world populated by awkward "social awareness" tropes, a horrific place where innocent young multi-racial homosexual couples with trendy handbags are constantly under assault from what I can only assume are conservative white republicans. (Note, I am a Liberal and I find this offensive in it's hamfisted stupidity).

So basically yeah, the only book I am buying regularly any more from Marvel is Dare Devil and once they break up Wade/Samnee I might not even continue with that.