Kingdom Hearts HD Collection Coming to North America

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Kingdom Hearts HD Collection Coming to North America

Kingdom Hearts HD collection is coming to North America and Europe in the fall, and will be PS3 exclusive.

Kingdom Hearts fans will have something to look forward to this year. Square Enix announced today that that Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix will be coming to North America, Europe and PAL regions in the fall of 2013. In a separate announcement they also confirmed that they will be continuing with their trend of convoluted names for the foreseeable future. The collection, which contains Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, will be exclusive to the PS3.

Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix was a reissue of the first Kingdom Hearts game originally exclusive to Japan. It incorporated the American voice track alongside a bevy of small improvements including new difficulty settings, skippable cutscenes, and an improved camera. It also added new enemies, weapons and abilities unique to the Final Mix version. The collection will also be the first time that Re: Chains of Memories will be available in Europe and the PAL regions.

The 1.5 ReMix collection will feature up-scaled graphics for both games as well as PSN trophies and high-definition cinematics from Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days. The decision to include just up-scaled videos from 358/2 Days as opposed to a playable version of the game strikes as a bit of a tease, but it's still a nice extra to throw in for fans.

While this collection will definitely be a treat for Kingdom Hearts devotees as well as a convenient opportunity for curious gamers to dive into the franchise, it still leaves one long-running question alive and unanswered. Where is Kingdom Hearts 3? Though Square Enix has done a fine job of keeping Kingdom Hearts games coming out at a decent pace, they have mostly been side stories and semi-sequels fleshing out the franchise's complicated universe. As high quality as some of these have been, it still begs the question of when Square Enix is going to stop dangling the carrot and finally make a full-fledged sequel.

Source: <a href=http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/25/kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-remix-coming-to-ps3-this-fall>PlayStation Blog

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Wait, a Kingdom Hearts HD collection doesn't include KH 2? The first one and a HD GBA game? This is bittersweet as hell...

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Brilliant, I'm still pissed off that one of my "mates" ran off with my copy of KH years ago. Looks like this will be a definite buy come autumn,

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
StewShearer said:
As high quality as some of these have been, it still begs the question of when Square Enix is going to stop dangling the carrot and finally make a full-fledged sequel.
The day they announce that FF 13 versus has been officially canceled or will be released is the day we can be sure the 3rd game is in the near future. That is if versus hasn't broken the lead designer's will to make games. (then again he is the one who ordered they rebuild the game from the ground up in the first place just before release)

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DrunkOnEstus said:
Wait, a Kingdom Hearts HD collection doesn't include KH 2? The first one and a HD GBA game? This is bittersweet as hell...
Dont quote me on this, but a friend of mine said that the GBA and PS2 versions Chain of Memories are wildly different.

Regardless, it coming to Europe is a pretty big deal in itself, as even i know that game got shafted really hard by limited releases in both formats.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Its nice to have confirmation that we are finally going to get to play Final Mix outside of Japan.

The scheduling makes me wonder how things will go if they bring the other games(KH II Final Mix, BBS Final Mix, and probably coded cutscenes) into a HD collection.

With the PS4 launch sans backwards compatibility and Versus XIII nowhere in sight it seems like the series will be fragmented across a bunch of platforms once again. Which is why I am surprised it also isn't coming out on the Vita as of yet(I don't know why all PS2 era remakes are not also brought to the Vita).

So say KH3 does eventually release you would likely need a PS4, PS3, and 3DS just to be able to play the entire series.
Right now you need a PS2(or older PS3), a PSP, and a DS(or 3DS). Progress....

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I would be excited about this if it included kingdom hearts 2. that was the only final mix I really wanted to play.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
gigastar said:
DrunkOnEstus said:
Dont quote me on this, but a friend of mine said that the GBA and PS2 versions Chain of Memories are wildly different.

Regardless, it coming to Europe is a pretty big deal in itself, as even i know that game got shafted really hard by limited releases in both formats.
That being the case, I got got a scary thought...KH 1.5 HD including Chain of Memories, and later down the road we get Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix including Re:358/2 Days (Duocedim?). I wouldn't be shocked after that "Bravest" iOS thing. Also, Square's naming department is starting to look like they're creating some new moon language.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
YAY! YAY! I knew it was happening, but it's so wonderful to hear a confirmation!

DrunkOnEstus said:
Dark Knifer said:
I would be excited about this if it included kingdom hearts 2. that was the only final mix I really wanted to play.
It will be, eventually. Fans figure that there will next be a 2.5 Remix, which will contain KH2, Coded, and Birth by Sleep. Once that's all done, then all the games are on the PS3 for those that missed out. Then everyone catches up on the story. Then, they will release

KINGDOM HEARTS 3.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Sweet, always was interested in this franchise but was waiting for the inevitable HD collection.

My patience always pays off

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
No one is asking where Kingdom Hearts 3 is. We all know (us fans at least) that it will be released when Nomura finishes Versus XIII.
No one is asking because everyone knows it's never going to come. Enix will continue pushing out shitty little handheld titles that cost a fraction of the money to produce while the moron fanboys eat up the slop that gets thrown their way by a company that stopped caring about its consumer base a LONG ass time ago.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
TheSapphireKnight said:
Its nice to have confirmation that we are finally going to get to play Final Mix outside of Japan.

The scheduling makes me wonder how things will go if they bring the other games(KH II Final Mix, BBS Final Mix, and probably coded cutscenes) into a HD collection.

With the PS4 launch sans backwards compatibility and Versus XIII nowhere in sight it seems like the series will be fragmented across a bunch of platforms once again. Which is why I am surprised it also isn't coming out on the Vita as of yet(I don't know why all PS2 era remakes are not also brought to the Vita).

So say KH3 does eventually release you would likely need a PS4, PS3, and 3DS just to be able to play the entire series.
Right now you need a PS2(or older PS3), a PSP, and a DS(or 3DS). Progress....
What better way to make sure that everyone buys every console. I have to wonder sometimes if Enix isn't in the pocket of the big three the way they put out their games smattered across nearly every different console there is. I'm a little surprised that they didn't make the 1.5 collection an Xbox exclusive.