Kingdom Hearts HD Remake Teased for North America

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I don't mean to rain on anyone parade but I fairly sure that Final Mix games have always had English audio, and since SquareEnix seems to not like money I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Yes, yes my precious. We NEEDS it! It's OURS!

Er, sorry. I'm excited about this, even though I already own each one of those games and have beaten the crap out of them. Does this mean that we can get Kingdom Hearts II and Birth By Sleep in the next collection? Because, while I own Birth By Sleep, I've never played it, and I would love to play the Final Mix of Kingdom Hearts II.

Alos, does this mean there's hope for a U.S. release of the Super Anniversary Edition of Final Fantasy? You know, the one with all the games and all that extra stuff? Because I'll totally buy that too SquareEnix.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Okay, honestly, who didn't see this happening? Raise your hands, let's be honest. Who seriously expected them to start working on KH3 anytime soon?

Oh, and here's another fun and obvious prediction! If this first HD release contains Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories, and remastered scenes from Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, then expect to see a second HD remix with Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep and Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded. And that's only if they don't feel like "remastering" Dream Drop Distance too! So that means that, if we're lucky, we might get KH3 in about 10 years! 8D

Mark my words, people.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
DuelLadyS said:
gardian06 said:
maybe Square has a similar problem as Valve if it is not specific titles they just can't count to 3.
Capcom can hold a seminar- they got to Street Fighter 3 eventually, after all.
OBJECTION!

They didn't make it through their rehab - Megaman Legends 3 never saw the daylight.

Hey, at least Valve isn't trolling people by releasing their same games over and over again for decades...

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Myndnix said:
EDIT: Something I forgot to mention- I actively dread when Kingdom Hearts III is made, because for a while the internet will be full of people going straight from KH II to III, then whining that the story doesn't make any sense, because they didn't play any of the games that didn't have a number in the title.
Hence the HD packages, which contain all the games over the two that are planned. So fear not! People without all the consoles under the sun will get to experience the entire series in some fashion. Then the only people that don't understand will be the ones that didn't get the Collections.

Mcoffey said:
What they should do is just make a big HD bundle. KH 1 & 2, plus all the handheld games all prettied up for the console. Hell, I'd be willing to pay a little extra for something like that. If I can get five God of War games for 40 bucks in one package, I should be able to get 6 Kingdom Hearts games for 60, no?
That is in fact the plan. This one is called 1.5, and contains KH1 Final Mix, Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days (only as a movie, though). Presumably, there will eventually be a 2.5 collection with KH2, Coded, and Birth by Sleep.

And then finally THREE.

Anyway, I'm glad this seems to be an actual thing now (since that shot is a scene from 358/3 Days), but Tetsuya Nomura pretty heavily teased there would be an English version anyway.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
you should be glad 358/2 Days is a movie, because that's pretty much how long the story portions of the game are

i hope they do some heavy clean up with chain of memories, that thing was just struggling to make do with the resources they had

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
SOOOOO pumped up for this. I mean, I'm a little more excited for 2.5 than 1.5 (especially since we don't know how Dream Drop Distance fits into 2.5 yet), but I've been raring to go and get this. All I ask is that they fix the lip sync in Re: Chain of Memories at the very least. And hey, finally playing a Final Mix version should be interesting.

I know some people are wondering if Square is going to redub some of the characters (Sora, Ansem, and some of the FF cast are the standouts), but I honestly don't think its going to happen. Would definitely be nice you know? Especially if you could switch between the old version and new version like in Silent Hill 2 HD or something. But hey, getting a near 3 hour movie version of 358/2 Days is good enough for me I suppose. Guess you just take what you can given the circumstances.

Just give me a release date Square. How long do I have to wait to give you my money?!

Edit: Also, the Square Enix Ninjas of information control have appeared to stop caring at some point. "Yes Jessie, take a pic and video, we don't mind." Tsk Tsk Square, you usually hold a tighter leash than that.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
If this doesn't happen I'll be personally wounded. You can't even begin to explain how much I miss KH.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
That's fancy and all, but where's Kingdom Hearts 3? I know that's an obvious question and they're probably waiting for the PS4 to launch, as the secret message at the end of Dream Drop Distance suggests it very well might be that, but it's still irksome. I can, however irked I may be, appreciate this HD collection because Kingdom Hearts games have always been scattered across various systems. It would be nice if this collection included them all in one location for people looking to get into the franchise. It would also be nice, in the interest of furthering that goal, if it were coming for the Xbox 360. Still, I'd rather have Final Fantasy X HD before this.

I'm forced to wonder what this will retail for... I can easily see Square slapping a 49.99 price tag on it. For both this collection, and the next. It could be worse, considering that Nintendo wants a whopping 59.99 for their Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, and that's just one game.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Myndnix said:
I look forward to getting to play Final Mix if only because I want to best Xemnas yet again. He's playing big fancy optional boss in Final Mix, too. Posh git.
He's really easy in Final Mix actually. Managed to beat him on Final Mix Proud after like 4 tries.

OT: Well I already preordered it for the import, but this will be good for the people who I'm trying to give the news about this to.
As for KH3 the reason it hasn't been made yet is because most of the KH team is working on FF Versus XIII and that game won't be released until FF XIII-3 is released. So basically don't expect to see KH3 anytime soon.
I'm still sorta bitter at the fact that I just finished Let's Playing Final Mix and even translated the Japanese text to English, only to have them come out with an HD remake. >.<

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Damnit people, KH3 already came out! In an interview with Nintendo POwer, director Tetsuya Nomura said that Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance "May as well be Kingdom Hearts 3."

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Volan said:
Mcoffey said:
What they should do is just make a big HD bundle. KH 1 & 2, plus all the handheld games all prettied up for the console. Hell, I'd be willing to pay a little extra for something like that. If I can get five God of War games for 40 bucks in one package, I should be able to get 6 Kingdom Hearts games for 60, no?
That is in fact the plan. This one is called 1.5, and contains KH1 Final Mix, Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days (only as a movie, though). Presumably, there will eventually be a 2.5 collection with KH2, Coded, and Birth by Sleep.

And then finally THREE.

Anyway, I'm glad this seems to be an actual thing now (since that shot is a scene from 358/3 Days), but Tetsuya Nomura pretty heavily teased there would be an English version anyway.
That makes sense, although it does feel like a bit of a cash grab. Final Mix has existed for a while, yes? So the only work they're doing for this re-release is hd-ing it and giving it english text. And I dont understand why they couldn't just put in the entire 358/Days game. According to the Wiki, the touch screen stuff wasn't even necessary.

I understand a lot of work goes into putting all this together, but it still doesn't seem like a lot when compared to other HD Collections around the same price.
That is true, and no doubt Squeenix are trying to make the most money out of one of their most popular franchises. Remember that these are big RPGs as well, so it may also be a situation where there isn't enough space on the disk to keep them all there.

As for Final Mix, it needs dubbing in English as well, which takes a bit of time. And 358/2 Days was built for the DS, so transferring it over to the PS3 might take a while (I have no idea, but I assume they run on very different engines). Since BBS is built on a PSP though, I'm sure it will be the actual game in the second collection. Maybe they're just trying to get them all out as soon as possible, to make way for KH3, which is quite possibly already in production?

Anyway, I look at it more as a way to contribute more money to an epic KH3.

GinraiPrime

Aug 26, 2010
Volan said:
Mcoffey said:
Volan said:
Mcoffey said:

And then finally THREE.

That makes sense, although it does feel like a bit of a cash grab. Final Mix has existed for a while, yes? So the only work they're doing for this re-release is hd-ing it and giving it english text. And I dont understand why they couldn't just put in the entire 358/Days game. According to the Wiki, the touch screen stuff wasn't even necessary.

I understand a lot of work goes into putting all this together, but it still doesn't seem like a lot when compared to other HD Collections around the same price.
That is true, and no doubt Squeenix are trying to make the most money out of one of their most popular franchises. Remember that these are big RPGs as well, so it may also be a situation where there isn't enough space on the disk to keep them all there.

As for Final Mix, it needs dubbing in English as well, which takes a bit of time. And 358/2 Days was built for the DS, so transferring it over to the PS3 might take a while (I have no idea, but I assume they run on very different engines). Since BBS is built on a PSP though, I'm sure it will be the actual game in the second collection. Maybe they're just trying to get them all out as soon as possible, to make way for KH3, which is quite possibly already in production?

Anyway, I look at it more as a way to contribute more money to an epic KH3.
The point of the Final Mixes in Japan was to show the Japanese fans what the games are like with the english dub aswell as to add new content. Funnily enough, they actually prefer the english voices! I've played the Final Mix for KH2 but not 1 yet but I can say the 2nd did have some new scenes specifically for the FM version which, if they did come out in a collection will need new dubbing. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there was any new scenes or dialogue for the 1st Final Mix.
Also the optional bosses Kurt Zisa, The Phantom, Ice Titan and I believe Sepiroth weren't in the original version but were added for Final Mix in Japan. We got them in our versions but they didn't. Basically the dubbing shouldn't be too much of a problem since its there already, just need to translate the text and boom! There ya go :) I say this because KH2: FM has english dialogue but with Japanese subtitles.

Anyways, I'm really looking foward to this and hopefully it will get an English release^^ Played Re: Chain of Memories too and for those who're wondering, its vastly improved over the GBA version, now just with proper voices cutscenes but the gameplay, while still using the card system, is improved and they even added reaction commands from KH2 to use with the sleights.

Battleaxx90

Jul 8, 2011
I'll admit that Squeenix hasn't exactly been nice to KH fans, what with the Japan-exclusive games and this godawful eternal wait for KHIII. However, if this game gets released in Australia, then all is forgiven. I will buy a goddamn PS3 just so I can get this game.

Some of you guys may not like the fact that this new game isn't KHIII, but IMHO, this re-release is EXACTLY what the franchise needs. As of this typing, the only way to play all the games in the series is to own about 4 or 5 different consoles. With 1.5 and 2.5, however, we'll have ALL the games in FINAL MIX form on ONE CONSOLE in GLORIOUS HD. Just take all my money, Squeenix.