Kingdom Hearts HD Remake Teased for North America

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Kingdom Hearts HD Remake Teased for North America

The voice of Roxas claims to be back in the studio, hinting at a localization for Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMix.

Last fall, Square Enix revealed that it was working on an HD compilation of Kingdom Hearts games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119695-Kingdom-Hearts-Getting-Remixed-for-PS3], due out for the PS3 in 2013. Thus far, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMix is only planned for a Japanese release, but a North American localization may be in the works, if one of the series' recurring voice actors is to be believed. Jesse McCartney, who has voiced Roxas since the character's introduction in Kingdom Hearts II, posted this photo to his Instagram account, along with the caption "For all you 'Kingdom Hearts' Fans. Recording the next chapter! #KingdomHearts #Roxas #Gamers."

The Instagram post has since been deleted, and Square Enix hasn't yet commented on whether or not HD ReMix will be released outside of Japan. The compilation includes Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories, and remastered scenes from Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days; though Roxas didn't appear in the first game and was only teased at the very end of Chain of Memories, he was the protagonist of 358/2 Days, which could explain why he has reportedly resumed his voice acting duties.

If the HD remake is localized, it will be the first time Kingdom Hearts Final Mix is released outside of Japan. The re-release of the first game featured addition content, like more scenes explaining Riku's journey. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMix is due out in Japan this March.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/25/3913992/voice-actor-teases-kingdom-hearts-1-5-hd-remix-localization]

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Kingdom Heart 3 must be the greatest game in world x10 or something really bad is going to happen(I'll go around and tell everyone on the internet that Square and Disney eat glue). I'm getting tired of waiting.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
I look forward to getting to play Final Mix if only because I want to best Xemnas yet again. He's playing big fancy optional boss in Final Mix, too. Posh git.

EDIT: Something I forgot to mention- I actively dread when Kingdom Hearts III is made, because for a while the internet will be full of people going straight from KH II to III, then whining that the story doesn't make any sense, because they didn't play any of the games that didn't have a number in the title.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Baldr said:
Kingdom Heart 3 must be the greatest game in world x10 or something really bad is going to happen. I'm getting tired of waiting.
maybe Square has a similar problem as Valve if it is not specific titles they just can't count to 3.

OT: why do I get this sinking feeling that if they do release the Final Mix outside Japan then they will just release like a Final Mix+ to truly troll every non-Japanese Kingdom Hearts fan.

OT:Final Mix now I feel even more motivated to go and remove the region lock chip from my PS2, but then I would still have to learn the script language.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Baldr said:
Kingdom Heart 3 must be the greatest game in world x10 or something really bad is going to happen. I'm getting tired of waiting.

Reviewers are going to rate it as a 7.5/8 as usual. Fans will love it, as usual. Face it, Kingdom Hearts has rarely been given critical praise in any of its titles as they are niche titles.

For instance: Kingdom Hearts 3D only scored a 75, yet it had the best gameplay in the series with one of the better stories. The only downside was the lack of Square characters outside of Neku and the rest of TWEWY cast. Even then they were only there for a total of one world. The story was awesome, music was great. Face it, KH was never a "huge" game for western gamers.
The handheld games suck, I never liked them, but KH2 was the second best selling game of North America in 2006 when it was released, only Madden '07 sold more games.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Reviewers are going to rate it as a 7.5/8 as usual. Fans will love it, as usual. Face it, Kingdom Hearts has rarely been given critical praise in any of its titles as they are niche titles.
Just like Call of Duty, or Battlefield, or Halo; or Super Mario Bros.; or Legend of Zelda; or Final Fantasy; etc.

The lowest Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2 have ever scored were 7 and 6 (respectively). And last time I checked, people praised the shit out these two games. The handheld bullshit spin-offs? Not so much.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Why do I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who loved the handheld Kingdom Hearts games? :/

OT:MAYBE HE'S IN THE STUDIO FOR KINGDOM HEARTS 3!!!!!!! :O A man can dream, can't he?

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Little concerned that if the voice actors are coming back for the remake of Kingdom Hearts 1, since you know the actors playing them have grown up a fair amount since it came out in 2002.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Jaebird said:
Just like Call of Duty, or Modern Warfare, or Halo; or Super Mario Bros.; or Legend of Zelda; or Final Fantasy; etc.

The lowest Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2 have ever scored were 7 and 6 (respectively). And last time I checked, people praised the shit out these two games. The handheld bullshit spin-offs? Not so much.
I think you have it backwards. Critics praise the living shit out of every game you mentioned, but always hold back the praise on KH (Remember, anything less than an 8 to IGN is a failure).

OT: I want this just to play Chain of Memories on my PS3. My favorite character in the series (Larxene) is in there.
That is exactly the point I was trying to get across. The majority of gaming public considers anything less than an 8 (thanks to the morons at IGN) a bad game. Because of this, the general public doesn't buy Kingdom hearts, leading to small sales and a smaller fan base, etc.

Also Jaebird, the handhelds are hardly "bullshit" spinoffs as they contain 90% of the story in Kingdom Hearts. Hell, try playing only KH 1 and 2, then go ahead and play Kingdom Hearts 3 when that is released. You won't know a single thing that is happening. If it was a "bullshit spinoff" then it wouldn't have ANYTHING to do with the major story.
I call them bullshit for them requiring me to buy handheld devices JUST to continue the story. That'd be like James Cameron releasing a spin-off film to his Aliens on Laserdisc. And there's nothing YouTube can't solve, unless the developers have the common sense to recap the story so far.

And if I have it backwards, NameIsRobertPaulson, then you must be from Bizarro world. No one I know, both online and offline, cares about the handheld titles more than the main two games.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I never said they were more important, I am just saying they aren't completely useless like you seem to. Also they have started to recap the story, at least in KH3D which is a major step forward in the story. Honestly, I am surprised that it wasn't a numbered title.
Probably because it was cheaper to make on the 3DS than the PS3. And yes; I can accept that this is also the reason why there are handheld titles than on the console. I can't really blame the developer for going the cheaper route.

I should admit that my displeasure for the handheld titles is only based on the GBA game. I just did not enjoy the card battle system in place, but having to replay the first game's story (more or less) is what made me not enjoy it more.

I apologize if I'm coming off as an entitled fanboy.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
gardian06 said:
maybe Square has a similar problem as Valve if it is not specific titles they just can't count to 3.
Capcom can hold a seminar- they got to Street Fighter 3 eventually, after all.