Kingdom Hearts III Director Eyes Star Wars Characters

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Kingdom Hearts III Director Eyes Star Wars Characters

Tetsuya Nomura would love to add iconic Star Wars characters to the Kingdom Hearts universe, if only Disney would let him.

Kingdom Hearts lives and dies on the strength of the characters it can attract. Yes, the franchise has spawned original entities, but the real draw of the series has always been in the Disney and Final Fantasy characters it features. Sephiroth throwing down against Donald Duck? Yeah, that's totally a thing in Kingdom Hearts, and this onslaught of beloved properties has made the franchise one of the most beloved among Square Enix properties.

If any one thing could automatically boost Kingdom Hearts' inherent appeal, it would be new iconic characters. Fortunately, Disney recently acquired both Marvel Comics and Lucasfilm. It's a silly question to ask Kingdom Hearts director Tetsuya Nomura if he has interest in Lucasfilm's Star Wars characters (because of course he does), yet a French Final Fantasy fansite called "Finaland" recently did just that.

"... we've been talking about Star Wars itself since it became Disney's content recently," Nomura states.

"When I heard the news I was like 'Wow! Wow!' Obviously it's gonna be great if we could add it, but like I said, there are a lot of restrictions and rules by Disney so we don't know what's gonna happen, but yeah, we'll see," he adds.

Is this a guarantee that Kingdom Hearts IV will star Darth Vader, Han Solo and Boba Fett? Not at all. Far from it. Nomura is interested in the idea, and the premise of Kingdom Hearts could allow for the integration of Star Wars characters, but as was stated above, Disney is very protective of its intellectual property - especially those properties as exceedingly valuable as Star Wars.

Nomura would likely have to present a convincing plan to the heads of Disney that outlines exactly how the Star Wars characters would be included in Kingdom Hearts, and why any of this might be a lucrative concept. Then again, this is Star Wars characters meeting and fighting alongside figures from Disney and Square Enix. If that isn't a recipe for comically huge bags of cash, I don't know what is.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/08/tetsuya-nomura-would-like-to-add-star-wars-to-kingdom-hearts-iii/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+siliconera%2FMkOc+%28Siliconera%29]

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Please dear god, let this happen. Amen.

I would love to have Jar-Jar as a playable character, if he's in it I'll get the game no matter how it turns out.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
YES. Oh my god, YES. Squenix, if we get to play through A New Hope and get a lightsaber keyblade, all is forgiven.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
I've had my fingers crossed for this since the Lucasfilm acquisition

Lightsaber Keyblade. Want

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
They have Marvel too...

All I'm saying is that Super Hero Squad already looks like it would be at home in the KH Universe.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I loved the PS2 Kingdom Hearts games, I never got all the way through any of the others.

Star Wars? I have to admit it might be kinda really cool to battle Darth Vader.

And the possibilities of Marvel characters? I think some of my earliest crushes on fictional characters were on Logan and Gambit and Rogue, although I kinda more idolised than crushed on her. And now I totally love Thor and Captain America. Oh, it would be lovely if any of the characters make it in that they were voiced by their current actors. Chris and Chris. Yum.

Really looking forward to this game.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Hmm... Never played KH games but thinking about Darth Vader coersing Sora(?) Guffy and Donald to join the dark side makes me approvably chuckle.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I don't see why not Kingdom Hearts takes place in galaxy that has an unknown amount of Disney worlds on it and few Square Enix worlds that are combination of Final Fantasy and original characters, these worlds are then all separated by magical space barriers ... well when everything's OK anyway.

So you could easily have a fleet of Star Wars ships accidentally go through a wormhole and end up in the Kingdom Hearts Galaxy or have Sora accidentally go through a wormhole and crash into a popular Star Wars world in the Star Wars galaxy.

Hell Sidious can create wormholes and if anyone was ever going to be the one true Master of the Heartless he's got my vote easy.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I'm no huge fan of KH. But I can get behind the idea of Celes, Spider-Man, Agent 47, Adam Jensen, and Han Solo in the same game.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Eh I don't know, Kingdom Hearts already has enough weird tonal shifts because of the many different universes. But I guess it would be cool if they could pull it off.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Maybe they can retell the Prequel stories. and actually make it good... Pipe dream I know. Honestly though I'd rather see the Original cast and everything, maybe the whole New Hope in Kingdom Hearts form.

crazy_coug99

Official Representative of WSU
Sep 17, 2012
Concept of the idea is incredible. Lightsaber fights with keyblades.

P.S. the game is 3, not 4. check your Roman Numerals.

Is this a guarantee that Kingdom Hearts IV will star Darth Vader, Han Solo and Boba Fett?

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Is it just me or should they go for 'game characters' like Kyle Katarn? It'd be a lot easier to get the licensing from Disney as he's not in the core set, but most SW fans will still love/have heard of him. I guess not being a movie icon for the masses hurts his chances though :(

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I squeed when I read this. Not a huge fan of Star Wars but with much of the franchise, it's just silly and campy enough
to fit in with Kingdom Hearts. Hell, I think it fits in better than Pirates of the Caribbean.

Lightsaber keyblade. PLEASE let this be a thing!

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
thetoddo said:
They have Marvel too...

All I'm saying is that Super Hero Squad already looks like it would be at home in the KH Universe.
Hulk and Yoda vs the entire KH world. Go Team Green!

I would be suprised if they don't include Star Wars to some degree, Darth Vader would fit in well with the other baddies whilst not just being 'Generic bad guy number 84' for Sora and co to pummel until he bleeds Munny. Force powers could make for interesting boss battles.

Number-14

Dec 13, 2010
If Pirates of the Caribbean got itself a world in KH, I'm sure they can pull off Star Wars.

I mean think about it, Lightsaber Keyblade how cool would that be?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It's good to know I wasn't the only person who immediately went down the keybladesabre path.

I could see this not coming off though, particularly with their EA deal, I bet there's a pile of copyright entanglement that would need to be sorted out. The same for Marvel. But I can still dream about Mickey Mouse, Yoda and Spiderman teaming up to take on Kefka