Kingdom Hearts III Trailer Reveals Familiar Gameplay

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Kingdom Hearts III Trailer Reveals Familiar Gameplay

<youtube=m2VV8kb15CQ>​
Information on the ending to the Xehanort saga of Kingdom Hearts has been scarce, and today's trailer reveals only the combat system and some enemies.

Sometimes Kingdom Hearts III feels like an unreachable dream. Square Enix has been tight-lipped about the game, revealing only that their team is working on the game. Today the company released a gameplay trailer, revealing new weapons, both familiar and new enemies, and our pals Sora, Donald, and Goofy.

The trailer begins with a familiar set-up - same combat system, Sora running with keyblade in hand, mashing the attack button and using magic to fight the heartless. Cute stars pop out with each attack. This beginning section also briefly shows a new dual weapon, the two shoot blaster. The next section places Sora on a slightly more dangerous version of a pirate ship ride at an amusement park or carnival as he swings back and forth, attacking enemies with his keyblade. The bulk of the trailer shows a fight in the Big Magic Mountain section. Sora rides a train through the air around a behemoth. Occasionally the camera zooms in on a character. The trailer ends as Sora, Donald, and Goofy launch the train at the enemy.

We first saw a little gameplay in the announcement trailer. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/7476-Kingdom-Hearts-III-E3-2013-Announcement-Trailer] After looking at this new trailer, it appears Kingdom Hearts III will use the same combat system, so much so that the gameplay looked extremely similar to Kingdom Hearts II. The trailer does not add anything new, but it certainly looks like a Kingdom Hearts game.

When a commenter asked whether fans will learn about new worlds leading up the release and if characters Riku and Kairi will be shown, Mat Kishimoto, associate product manager at Square Enix, replied, "Only time will tell :)"

Kingdom Hearts III has no release date yet, and the video states the game is in development now.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/14/kingdom-hearts-iii-on-ps4-new-gameplay-trailer/]

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Ponyholder said:
For what looks like an early, early alpha version of the game's combat, it does look fun. Well... all of it except for that Train boss.
That Train Boss is one of the Titans from Hercules. Yes, I know that's not how Titans actually looked in Greek Legend, but that's what Disney went with for their movie.

But what's more interesting to me is the Hubworld/Train part: Could it be the new Hubworld for KH3 is basically Disneyland?And could the Hubworld interact with the other worlds? Cause the train part said "Magic Mountain", and it reminded me of "Big Thunder Mountain Railroad". And the Ship ride in the middle of the Teaser/

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Looks... a bit too similar to KH2 =/ I don't know what I was hoping for. I guess it certainly looks like a KH game but I hope the end product is something a tad more evolved.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I hope this isn't too similar to Kingdom Hearts II's combat. Not after the innovations in Birth by Sleep that served to make it all around a better-playing game.

P.S. Thanks

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
well when i think about kingdom heart series Story game starting at 2 . its been bland and so...obviously. that when it comes to kingdom hearts 3 im more hopping they will improve the plot, characters, etc, that i did not even notice the similarity to the gameplay to 3d and slightly to kh1 i did not even notice it.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I'm actually really concerned about what I saw - are they going to start inserting Disney World rides as super-moves?

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
Two things to note:

One, the gameplay actually looks much more similar to Dream Drop Distance and Birth by Sleep since they seem to have replaced the clunky menu interface of the older games with the new Command Deck which allows you to preinstall a set number of abilities and spells that are hotkeyed to a specific button. Each time you use a command in these games, that command goes on cooldown and the deck rotates until it finds a skill that isn't on cooldown. This allows you to set up combos, but the player can also cycle through the command deck without using commands. In Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance, this was done with the D-Pad.

Additionally, the segments where Sora is using a ride from the Disney Parks seems similar to his Link attacks from Dream Drop Distance and the D-Links in Birth By Sleep. While it isn't clear how you activate these ride modes, they clearly have a bar at the top (right underneath the name of the ride) that ticks downwards as you use it. In Dream Drop Distance, Link modes replace Sora's attacks with a new command (while Link modes for Riku change his battle style and element). In Birth By Sleep, D-Links replace the user's Command Deck with a preset command deck based on the character that the user is linked with (for example, Cinderella's D-Link gives you Light and Healing spells). Not sure if this mechanic functions the same way, but it seems superficially similar.

While it may not look that different from KHII, the Command Deck really streamlines combat and the Link systems from the previous games made combat much more engaging.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
You know what? Reading this article, I discovered something I didn't really realize, and that is I just don't care what SE does anymore. I was a massive final fantasy fan, and an even bigger kingdom hearts fan, and between the trash way they did FF12 and every FF since, and the absolutely ridiculous amount of time they have spent contemplating giving a actual sequel, while stretching out fan love for the series with meh side parts of kingdom hearts..... I just really don't care anymore and it is a very disconcerting thing, because it feels like they took something away from me because of it.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Shit just got real. Still looking forward to this; I wanted more of the same and that seems to be what's on the menu.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Let's hope the gameplay is actually an evolution from Kingdom Hearts II, since II was an evolution of I.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
You know what? I am so all over this whole "lets use amusement park rides as finishing moves" thing.

Visually, it looks amazing, and contextually, it actually makes some sense. Kingdom Hearts always has been a mix of Disney and Square, so the big flashy attacks of the Square-verse being re-imagined as Disney rides actually fits right in.

I am so ready to step on board this train (Do you see what I did there?).

superpandasauras

Mar 9, 2012
Thank god it's more like KHII's combat system. I never really liked the Command Deck, but I think KHII's system, while flawed, was the best so far.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Yay! I can use the Disney Electrical Parade as an attack now, the show I saw as a kid will help me kill things! Never thought I would say that without sounding insane. Though, that titan boss fight looked kinda lame to me. It looked boring, like it was one big quick time event.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Looks neat. The carnival ship looked like it was some kind of Summon, which ought to add fun layer to combat. The train bit might have been a Summon, too, but it felt more like one of those on-the-rails boss fights to me.

Either way, nice to see proof the game actually exists!