Kingdom Hearts Originally Had Chainsaws

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kingdom Hearts Originally Had Chainsaws

Apparently Squeenix team lead Tetsuya Nomura had been watching too many slasher flicks when he originally conceived Kingdom Hearts: The game's iconic keyblade weapon was originally supposed to be a chainsaw.

Speaking with Famitsu magazine about the birth of the quirky Disney / Final Fantasy crossover action RPG Kingdom Hearts, producer Tetsuya Nomura said that rather than starting with a base of storyline and characters, the developer conceived the game with the idea of the "Keyblade" in mind - and the idea of keys became central to the story moving forward.

Yet the Keyblade wasn't the first weapon Nomura proposed to Disney: "[T]the first weapon I showed Disney was a chainsaw. It was this chainsaw-like weapon that I had a rough sketch of when I first showed my concepts to Disney. Everyone got this scrunched-up look on their face and nobody said a word in the entire room. Dead silence. And I thought 'No, I guess this wouldn't work, huh?'"

To be fair to Nomura, the Kingdom Hearts series' Heartless enemies are sort of zombie-esque, and there are few better weapons for slaughtering zombies (or defenseless teenagers). I suppose if you were stretching, you could also make the argument that, much like the Keyblade, a chainsaw has the power to unlock a person's heart... in a manner of speaking, anyway.

Of course, the idea of Mickey Mouse wielding not an oversized, symbolic, magical key, but a brutal and roaring chainsaw, is a very, erm, "interesting" one. One can only wonder why the Disney executives ever turned down the idea.

The world may never know.

(Kotaku [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175105])

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Keyblade is pretty iconic but I'd pay to see those guys with chainsaws.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
I just can't picture Sora with a chainsaw. Mickey Mouse onthe other hand, is all to easy to imagine with a chainsaw.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
You know, Mickey Mouse wielding a magical key would have been perfect Disney symbolism.....in the 80s.

Nowadays, a bloody, chainsaw wielding Zac Efron would be more appropriate.....

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
HardRockSamurai said:
I can't wait for the Hannah Montana level in the next one.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Virgil said:
HardRockSamurai said:
I can't wait for the Hannah Montana level in the next one.
You always wanted to play as her, didn't you Virgil? ;)
shhhh his secret might get out

chainsaws would be awesome in that game

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Kingdom Hearts would've seriously better with chainsaws in it, besides that... those asshole main characters go around killing those guys in the black robes, even though they've defeated them and they could just... arrest them or something?

Seriously, Disney has some double standards.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I wish that the chainsaw was an alternative, then Sora would be pictured more as a crazy psychopath, a character I'd rather play as.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Chainsaws would have been soooo sweet! Damn you Disney!

--Xvito, keeping it excellent.

KotaroKun115

May 21, 2009
Im Suprised By the amount of Kingdom Hearts Fans on The escapist Either Way I Much Perfer the Whole Keyblade Gameplay.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Those idiotic guys down at disney!

If there was a chainsaw in kingdom hearts it would instantly be TEH BEST GAEMZ EVURHZ!

I dont need logic to prove that statement.

Chainsaw + Sora + Disney characters + KH gameplay = Win.

Aqua Trenoble

Mar 25, 2009
I think that there actually were a couple of Heartless that had chainsaw-like weapons. Those grey guys in the background of the picture kinda reminded me of Ash from Army of Darkness.

Really though, was he expecting Disney executives to appreciate the idea of CHAINSAWS in one of their games?

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Onmi said:
so lets see...

Prevented the use of a bahamut summon in KH1
Demanded that instead of forming a party like FF that each disney character remained in there own world
Stopped Sora from wielding a chainsword (I can only guess)
Limits the amount of time of Badass!Mickie Mouse

Well fuck you disney
you forgot:

Allowing Square Enix to make a game with Disney characters in the first place