Kingdoms of Amalur Sells 330,000 Copies

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Glad to hear it sold well. I plan on getting it once the price drops below £20, but I guess that'll take a while now...

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
This game deserves more sales, it's really quite good... and massive.

Unsure where the difficulty complaints are coming from, as long as you don't go off exploring everywhere in the world whilst low-level then it's fine as the game doesn't scale difficulty (yay, what a lovely change for a game of this size). I expect that has something to do with it.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I was hoping for more, but I'm just glad a game I really liked did well enough to perhaps get a sequel. I really needs one, as while I really liked it, it has a lot of problems to flush out.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Sylveria said:
Sorry, I'm not ubernerdy enough to dig deep enough to find out the intricacies of piece-meal game publishing. But, if they are publishing it even in part, if the game doesn't sell in the millions, they wont support it in the future.

But EA fanboy harder, it amuses me.
Right, becase it takes soooo much intelligence to find basic publishing info for an original IP (no wonder you can't grasp it). What is amusing is your failed attempt to coax me into stooping as low as you.

Sorry, but your trolling will not work on me.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Sylveria said:
MercurySteam said:
Sylveria said:
Series is dead. It didn't break 1million sales, EA will scrap the IP and gut the studio.
EA doesn't own the studio or IP rights so they can't do anything. Get your facts straight before posting blatant bullshit.
Sorry, I'm not ubernerdy enough to dig deep enough to find out the intricacies of piece-meal game publishing. But, if they are publishing it even in part, if the game doesn't sell in the millions, they wont support it in the future.

But EA fanboy harder, it amuses me.
Ea can refuse to publish amalur 2 but they cant gut a studio they dont own.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Although it could of used more enemy types and the end boss was mindlessly easy, I enjoyed the game and got my moneys worth and look forward to the march dlc.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
A Too Human reference? Did I fall asleep in a time machine or something?

I think it's time we moved on from flogging the horse, guys. It just comes off as vindictive now.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
veloper said:
Good I guess. Amalur is okay.
38's attempt to make RPG combat less terrible is even laudable and partially succesful.

They'll go under if they'll go ahead and make the MMO version though.
The amalur setting, tone and visuals puts them in direct competition with WOW and that cannot end well.
Free to play MMO's can be massive money. If they produce a sequel and it hits 1 million in the same time frame, a F2P MMO could work. Get a playerbase that likes your world, hype up an MMO and remind everyone how free it is, recycle assets where possible and your only huge expenditure (besides staff salary) is advertising and server costs. Might not be the next big thing, but play your cards right and F2P MMOs can be a nice little cash cow to keep the money trickling in.

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
Enjoying this game. My advice is to take the time to listen to NPCs andcread everything. The story unfolds slowly, as does the world. Starts to make sense the more time you devote. Great combat btw.

Briney-

Jul 13, 2011
I think selling over 330,000 copies in NA during its first month is very respectable.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up the game, but I have to say that I'm enjoying it so far. It's not terribly original, but it's fun to play.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to hear it, it's a solid game and really fun to play. I need to get back to playing it, but I've been busy the last few weeks.
Kenjitsuka said:
As Yahtzee said, it's a massive rehash of Tolkiens ONE take on fantasy (read Extra Punctuation...), and it may be nice, but, seriously? This is not a "new" IP, since it's basically ripping off 99% of the games in it's genre before it.
I think you're confusing "ripping off" with inspiration.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bahumat42 said:
while this figure doesn't track steam sales, it is a pc friendly rpg, you would have to be quite naive to believe that a decent amount of sales had been made on that platform. Infact i would argue if you include digital distribution and worldwide sales it probably has topped 500k sales.
Its a fairly reasonable assumption in any case.
I've been hearing quite the opposite, really, that this is a dumb console game. In fact, you would argue that if you include every other market in the planet, they might have over 1.5 times the current figure. Ummm...Duh?

And no, an assumption based on several assumptions of unknown and unknowable figures is not a reasonable assumption. It's folly.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I'm glad this Western RPG that I actually enjoyed did well, means there might be more of it (and with content and improvement that warrants a sequel).

Too many Western RPGs that in my opinion are bland. They all come from the same setting of magic elves, at least they could try and be different.
Divinity 2 almost was different but owned itself. Like being able to turn into a dragon,but it was only in certain points and everything else was too generic.

Axeion

Feb 18, 2010
As much acid marketing done against it im happy to see its done well.Its a good game an most of the knocks against it are by people who never played it.Over 90 hours in now on 1st go threw.

Great fun.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I feel pretty outdated here, I thought when this project was first announced wasn't it intended to be an MMO? When did it change to a single player game?

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
They need at least 1 million to break even most AAA games need 1.5-2 million so yeah 330,000 copies is nothing.

Servers them right for blocking out Single player content on a disc if you bought used. Also it's has generic story and characters, it's combat is ok but that's all it has going for it.