Kirk, Solo, Shepard - Who Is The Best Space Hero?

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Kirk, Solo, Shepard - Who Is The Best Space Hero?

Who is the best science-fiction hero from Star Trek, Star Wars, and Mass Effect? The Escapist has the definitive answer.

Read Full Article

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Oh boy, what has become of you, Escapist?
Hardly any articles, let alone news that wasn't reported on by other sites I frequent long before... and now clickbait articles? :'(

If you are going to do something like this, make it funny like No Right Answer.
Or an actual analysis with some weight behind it, a la Death Battle.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'd imagine there's going to be some disgruntled Halo fans if they read this article. :p

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
While the show wasn't the best I'm surprised Kevin Sorbo's "Dylan Hunt" wasn't on here. To be honest he seemed to combine the diplomatic morality of Picard with the willingness to shoot first and "cheat" when common sense would dictate it. Granted he is preachy and does do some stupid things for "WTF" moral reasons at times, I mean for example the whole reason his universe is in a shambles is revealed to be his fault because he wouldn't stop the genetically enhanced psycho facists from overrunning the military when he was given not one but two chances (this because of wiping out a civilian population to do so, but the second time he had the option he knows even more civilians will die as a result and all stability is going to vanish from the universe), but his show tends to be a giant contradiction anyway if you bother to pay attention (for example, when he eventually rebuilds the commonwealth, whether he has a crew on board his ship or just the same ragtag band he started with tends to vary episode to episode), of course he does compensate by being able to literally kick a space bad guy in the face with his super heavy worlder strength and to be blunt no other captain on this list seems to be able to match his better fight scenes including Kirk, better choreography (he apparently learned something doing Hercules for all those years) lead to a more skilled seeming captain when it came to breaking faces.

Not my favorite show for a lot of reasons, but when your looking at the quality/capabilities of space heroes on their own Dylan should be on pretty much any list, especially seeing as his show DID make it five seasons which is a pretty good run. What's more it has the same Gene Roddenberry pedigree as Trek.

If your bringing books into this (which doesn't seem to be the case) I will just say flat out NOBODY beats "The Stainless Steel Rat" except MAYBE Lazarus Long (but he belongs more in the time travel category). Yes, "Slippery" Jim Digriz is a space criminal, but he has captained ships, and even "humbly" disguised himself as an admiral of the fleet (successfully). He even ran for president!

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
John Sheridan. Overthrew a dictatorship on Earth, Destroyed the Minbari flagship in the Earth-Minbari war, Sacrificed his life to strike a blow against the shadows, returned from the dead, and told the Vorlons and Shadows to 'Get the Hell out of our galaxy!"...and lived to tell the tale.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
You all need to step it up. Clearly rule63 Kaiser Reinhard von Lohengramm is the best space hero.

Dec 10, 2012
Oroboros said:
John Sheridan. Overthrew a dictatorship on Earth, Destroyed the Minbari flagship in the Earth-Minbari war, Sacrificed his life to strike a blow against the shadows, returned from the dead, and told the Vorlons and Shadows to 'Get the Hell out of our galaxy!"...and lived to tell the tale.
Seconded with a passion.

Anything you can do, Sheridan can do better. He's not quite the diplomat Picard is, nor does he have the personal body count of Commander Shepard, but Sheridan was a war hero, an unbeatable tactician, and an iron-willed badass all the same. He led a war against earth itself with little more than a few White Stars and his unshakable conviction. He united the galaxy against a threat that had wiped out countless civilizations and basically just ***** slapped the most powerful races in existence so hard they crawled out of the galaxy for good. He gave his life for the cause and still had the balls to live for another 20 years. John Sheridan has the brilliance of a Picard, the inspiration of a Shepard, the ass-kicking qualities of Han Solo, and makes the universe-altering choices of Luke Skywalker without the benefit of fate directing him.

Truly, a Space Hero for all seasons. Also, Garibaldi is awesome.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
TheVampwizimp said:
Oroboros said:
Seconded with a passion.

Anything you can do, Sheridan can do better. He's not quite the diplomat Picard is, nor does he have the personal body count of Commander Shepard, but Sheridan was a war hero, an unbeatable tactician, and an iron-willed badass all the same. He led a war against earth itself with little more than a few White Stars and his unshakable conviction. He united the galaxy against a threat that had wiped out countless civilizations and basically just ***** slapped the most powerful races in existence so hard they crawled out of the galaxy for good. He gave his life for the cause and still had the balls to live for another 20 years. John Sheridan has the brilliance of a Picard, the inspiration of a Shepard, the ass-kicking qualities of Han Solo, and makes the universe-altering choices of Luke Skywalker without the benefit of fate directing him.

And thirded. Glad to see other fans of The One here. xD I'm pleased it took less than 10 posts in this thread for someone to bring him up. lol

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Oroboros said:
/Thunderous applause.

A Sheridan poster is what Kirk, Shepard and Skywalker put on the wall as kids and look at it dreaming "I wanna be like him when I grow up!

I will never admit to anyone that I think he is kinda hot either, oh wait... damnit!

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Asclepion said:
You all need to step it up. Clearly rule63 Kaiser Reinhard von Lohengramm is the best space hero.
Allow me to make a stronger argument for Reinhard von Lohengramm:

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
while part of me says 'captain Mal Reynolds'.....

i have to agree with the vorlon *nods @ Oroboros*
you can't realy go better than Sheriden.
and even better..his wife has had some of the best lines (his second wife at least) and his first officers had some of the second best lines....

Kirk and co are good but damn, John is better.

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
TheVampwizimp said:
Oroboros said:
Seconded with a passion.

And thirded. Glad to see other fans of The One here. xD I'm pleased it took less than 10 posts in this thread for someone to bring him up. lol
Clearly, the best space hero is Zathras. At least, Zathras thinks so.
Zathras is sad that no-one remembers Zathras.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
Since Shepard didn't really save all that much and Han Solo is more of a heroic rogue, I'm going to go with Kirk on this one.
Wait Shepard didn't save much?! I thought the whole Reaper invasion was a big deal.
Kirk just kinda fucks about on a starship for a few years.

moose7

Mar 5, 2014
?Nuke 'em? Sheridan is nice and all but did he ever dance on a table with a nuke strapped to his chest to force the two most evil space empire to reach a peace treaty? Nope!

John Crichton did and therefore is the best space Hero. Lost in space through a worm hole with no hope of getting home and surrounded by insane alien criminals while being chased by space Nazi, John ends up becoming the most feared outlaw and stops a galactic war.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Wedge Antilles.
The only man to fly in the attack waves against TWO DeathStars and live to tell the tale.

Pilot, leader, humble in nature and steadfastly reliable.
The unsung hero of StarWars.

I really wish there was some call back to him coming in the next movie.
Wing Commander Antilles appearing for just one scene.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Luke pretty much saved the Galaxy as a Jedi, with only about 36 hours of training from Yoda! Pretty dang impressive! Too old to begin the training my butt!