Kissing: why is it still a social taboo?

Spark Ignition

Sep 29, 2010
I don't think just kissing is a social taboo. If two people are REALLY going at it then I guess that can make things kinda awkward. For instance a friend of mine was at a new year party where two of our other friends were making out on a sofa for so long that the rest of the party got awkward and had to move to the kitchen.

So define kissing...

Metanator

Dec 28, 2010
if kissing in public is taboo... well then the public must want my guts out on a pole. im fine with people kissing. whenever i get annoyed by it, i think "[Metanator], you've done much worse. Don't complain!"

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
Well I can certainly see why.
If it's just a normal romantic kiss then...GO AHEAD! I would love to see that, it would make my heart break inside and make me burst into tears (What I like romance?).
But I've seen some pretty inapropriate things, such as my friends making out next to me. It's very....Awkward.
Plus I think we're directing this at teens and most of them do it for attention.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Awww......look at you westerners talking about how Kissing in public is taboo.
My country is WAY better than that. In my culture, if you hold another woman's hand in public or kiss your spouse anywhere except in a door-shut bedroom......they'll cut your hands/lips off....isn't it Swell :3

whiners.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
dont know realy, all i know is that my girlfriend slightly dislikes it so dont do that so much xD

Naleh

May 25, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
I kiss my beloved in public, why shouldn't I?

It's perfectly acceptable. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly socially awkward... or a prude...
Hey! I'm socially awkward and a prude, and I'm all for public kissing!

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
I think it matters, if it is a kiss goodbye or an intimate loving kiss then people should feel free. However if it is one of those loud irritating kisses full of smacking sounds then I have to resist the urge to shove a knife through their temples.

TailsRodrigez

Nov 13, 2009
I think you're confusing simply kissing, with making out for 20 mins where everyone is forced to notice it.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
So I was at work the other day, and this young couple get to my till. I start scanning their items when they start making out. There's no one else around, just me scanning their items, and them making out.

If this is what you're refering to, then the reason it's a social taboo is because it's fucking rude. I'm sure you can wait the whole 2 minutes it's going to be before you're outside.

On a street? I wouldn't care, I'm walking past anyway, but something like this, where the people less than 3 fucking feet away can't actually avoid you (public transport systems, elevators, queue's) then just don't do it. Seriously, don't.

enriel

Oct 20, 2009
I don't think it's a social taboo, I just don't wanna watch people make out. A married couple gives each other a little loving kiss in public...alright I guess. Two kids half my age making out in the middle of a crowded place? Really guys, stop it.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Well, that depends on what you mean, if your in the supermarket shopping for groceries and you see two people full on maing out in the produce section, I don't think thats appropriate. Also a smidge of jelousy. Just a peck or something like that doesn't bother me.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
If they don't get in the way of anyone I couldn't care less. Hell, in the unlikely event I ever get a girlfriend I'd (hopefully) be just as guilty.

So yeah, I'm all for it.

Gruevy

Jan 7, 2011
You know what's great? Being able to completely "zone out" to the point where everyone becomes animal-like caricatures going through biological needs like you're watching a nature documentary.

[font color="white"]Yeah, you're so cute when you're sedated.[/font]

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Like most people have said, kissing equals fine. Sucking face equals very awkward and it doesn't belong in public - maybe they have a fetish for public sex or something, but for christs sake, show some damn condsideration for everyone else around you.

Now, sure, I kiss my boyfriend every now and then, in public or not, because I just feel like it, but I would feel very awkward seriously making out with him in public. Why the hell would I even make out with him in public? What's the point?

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
Depends on the kind of kissing.

Mostly I don't care, people can PDA all they like. But there is a time and a place for everything. I once encountered a couple in a Marks and Spencer food hall, gums deep in each other and she was fondling his junk. When I saw them later at the register, they looked perfectly well and sober. Just... don't look like you are 3 second away from giving someone a hummer in public, please.

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
I wouldn't say it's taboo. On the other hand, I find going on deep-sea investigations into someone's throat with your tongue while out in public is a bit rude. It all depends on how it's done, kissing is fine to me, but save the hot&heavy makeout session for home.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
People who get offended are just jealous.

But making out in public is a bit unnecessary, i'm sure you have some place you live so go do it there thank you.