Kissing: why is it still a social taboo?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I don't have a problem with it. As long as they don't do it in the middle of the street while I'm walking down said street then I'm cool with it.

aseelt

Jan 13, 2010
Rednog said:
The only kissing I really mind in public are those that become more extended periods of face sucking or make out sessions. A simple kiss is fine, but it becomes somewhat awkward for those around when you take it a tiny bit further.
This!

Nobody wants to see two people sticking their tongues down each other's throat.

Unless of course you're in India. Kissing gets you arrested I think. Now there is a prudish society.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
if its a quick kiss to say hi or bye then fine, i think people shouldnt stand there sucking face for a couple of minutes in public, things like that have a time and a place, not in the middle of morrisons!

Aerialfrogg

Dec 29, 2008
Sure kissing in public in general kind of embarrasses me personally, but I don't think that should stop anyone else. I don't like to see people makeout in public, though. But really, do you need to sit on their lap and tongue down their throat right now on that park bench? It can't wait a few ticks?

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
I do not mind a kiss goodbye sort of thing.
When I start think that murder is the best option is when they are sucking face like some fish do on the sides of aquariums at the pet store. There is a girl in my class who shows up twenty minutes late just so she can suck off his face and then after class do it again for a half an hour JESUS CHRIST!!!!

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Regular quick lip kiss, go for it!

Big sloppy tongue and all kissing, get a room!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
because when you havent gotten any in awhile you start to hate people who are getting it

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I don't think kissing is a social taboo. I am slightly repulsed by people making out in front of me though. (I don't mind lighter kissing). First of all, I don't want to know about their affection for eachother. Secondly, I find public acts of the flesh somewhat disturbing. I wouldn't appreciate someone masturbating in public either, no matter how natural it is.

Edit: It also reminds me of my own love-problems, but that's only me.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
Because it reminds me of what I can never have? Yeah, I'm bitter. Are you at all surprised?
NO! the dream still lives for ya! don't give up! even just a quick one is still a kiss! so hang in there!

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Well I don't do it myself (I wish I was in a position to though.. its been too long..) but I'm quite happy for other people to just do what they like as long as they don't expect me to be hanging around them for too long..

Its the UK, we did all this anti-PDA stuff about 50 years ago, now we just don't care about our public image, well the majority don't seem to but I don't see why I should judge people for doing it, as Oasis said so clearly, "Let there be Love"...

Although, sometimes, the phrase, "Get a Room" comes to mind...

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Here's the thing to realize. Most people aren't that pretty. I'd rather not see you and your fat girlfriend sucking face, any more than you'd want to see an old guy like me getting busy. Kissing is fine, but there's a point where it goes too far. If you're at the "get a room" point, you've gone too far. A quick kiss or two I have no issues with though.

Azure-Supernova said:
I kiss my beloved in public, why shouldn't I?
People who refer to their significant others as their "beloved" without irony, on the other hand...

- J

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
Oh wow, now I understand (at least a little bit) why I got dogged by so many people in the mall when I kissed my girlfriend.
It wasn't even like "MMMMPH MMMMMMMM" A quick 5 second kiss and all of the sudden I'm getting the most angry looks from people.
Edit: Yet, the 2 people pretty much groping each other in Hot Topic are fine.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Is it really like that where you live? Because here in Mexico most people kiss when they say hi and one is a man and the other a woman even if they have no relationship other than being friends or even relatives, so I think it is pretty much accepted here in Mexico, I mean sure if people are giving it a little tongue in public most people will give you the look (yo know what I'm talking about) but a normal kiss and nobody pays attention.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
It's something that always irritated me when I was alone and bitter, but I wouldn't say there's much of a 'taboo' against it, given the frequency at which it occurs. It's not like a 'going topless in public' taboo.

At any rate, now beholden to a girlfriend, it was one of the first things I indulged in at length myself, just for the sheer satisfaction of inflicting it upon others ^^

nunqual

Jul 18, 2010
LostTimeLady said:
Recently it's struck me as odd the number of people who find other people kissing in public, so called PDA (public displays of affection), inappropriate or even so much as offensive.

The reason I find it odd is the amount of sexualisation that we're exposed to everyday people no longer bat an eyelid at half naked pictures on the cover of magazines, but genuine expression of love is still frowned upon. (Not that I?m condoning the sexualisation of society by any means!).

I personally used to have a problem with public kissing, that is when I was younger, but these days I think that kissing is an innocent, if sometimes passionate, expression of love and people can kiss if they want to.

So I ask you, fellow Escapists, do you think it's ok to kiss in public places and would you kiss someone you liked/loved publicly?

Discuss!

P.S. sorry moderators, I've not clue why this has posted twice and made two threads!

If I kiss my girlfriend I do so in private, or if not in private, at least discretely. No, it's not the most offensive action in the world, but it's something I don't like other people seeing. And by kiss I mean using tongue or lasting more than a couple of seconds. I can do a peck in public.

But I would definitely not go so far as to say that it's a 'social taboo.' Kissing is usually a rather innocent action, and I've never seen anybody get all up-in-arms about it.

airEx

Apr 15, 2009
Here, in Sweden (from my point of view), no one gives a damn about someone kissing in public.

Ickorus said:
Regular quick lip kiss, go for it!

Big sloppy tongue and all kissing, get a room!

And no, we don't care even if it looks like that you are trying too eat your girlfriend/boyfriends face. :p